Default looking for a recruitment video tape

Hello Forum,

Does any of your Fire Departments, State Agencies or other sources use an informational video tape for recruitment of new members. I am looking for a recruitment video for new volunteer firefighters/emt's.

Please email me with any ideas.

Thank you,
    Ken Janis
    Community Fire Company of Forks Township
    station@forksfire.com

Forks Fire
    ideas expressed & posted in the forum(s) are my own.

Forum Member

Have you checked with the State Fire Academy in Lewistown? There is a retention and recruitment class they offer so I'm sure they might have something to help you.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Default reply to Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the tip. The only video the PA has is the 1800fireline video. I have that one. It is 12 minutes long and very poorly done. I was hoping someone may have sonething better out there to share.

Thanks for the tip, if you want a copy of the fireline video let me know.

Thanks,

Ken Janis
    station@forksfire.com
    ideas expressed & posted in the forum(s) are my own.

Forum Member

Some members of my department debated making a recruitment video, we haven't yet but maybe someday.....

Here are some of the ideas that we talked about so maybe it will help you. Have someone video tape as many activities as possible. Include Training/Drills, Social Functions, and if possible Actual Responses. The more raw footage you have the better a video you can produce. Include Quotes/Interviews from members that will represent your department well, but also that will represent your community as much as possible, that way the community will see that members come from their own neighbors.

We have produced a Flyer that we provide to anyone who inquires about membership and we send it to every houshold in the district once a year. It contains information about our history, our training, and our social events so we can present the broadest view of what our department is all about.

I hope this helps.

Lt. Alan Shaw
    Belltown Fire Department
    Stamford, CT

Forum Member

I recently bought a product for my computer that allows the user to convert videotape to a digital video. It's called Dazzle Digital Video Creator, and comes with a pretty good vido editing program. I've made one short video from some home video footage I've had, as I haven't had it very long. It would be great for what you want to do. It takes a pretty fast computer with plenty of memory to run properly, but it's not too hard to do. You can then create your own videos custom tailored to your dept's needs. You can overlay text, audio tracks, etc. Once it's produced, you can convert it back to VHS, or whatever format you want to use. It's as professional looking as you make it, you just have to get used to the software. See www.dazzle.com
    These are my opinions and not those of the organizations for which I work and/or volunteer.

Thread Information