Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question HELP ! What Extrication Glove Do I Buy

With all these new gloves on the market we do not know which brand to buy for all of our ff's. We have tried the Ringers, Shelby and Mechanix. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks Big C

As far as extrication goes, from a cost standpoint I don't believe that you can beat some nice leather roping gloves. Throw on a pair of medical gloves underneath if you`re near bio-hazards and you`re set.

For winter weather a nice thick work gloves works great.

Shane

If your gloves have a Crosstech or comparable vapor/bloodborne pathogen barrier, I don't even see why you'd need the EMS gloves underneath. That's what I find nice about a decent pair of leather firegloves at least.

We had a long discussion on this forum about this a few months ago. My personal choice is the Mechanix Extrication Gloves which are made primariliy with kevlar. This makes them very tough and gives some fire resistance.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

I was using the Ringer's Extrication glove for a while, but I found that they just didn't hold up that well. The pads started to fall off, and I got cut several times through the nylon part of the glove. Ringer's has another glove, which they call a Utility glove, with a leather palm and spandex back that I've been using for about a year now. They've held up very well, and they're about half the price of their Extrication glove. Worth a look.

I've tried crossfires, and a few others and the biggest problems I found was the lack of acid protection (From batteries, etc)

For my money, I've come back to the good old leather work gloves.

There durable enough for all types of work and after a few wears or a good soaking in water, they fit the hand really well.

We also wear nitrile gloves underneath for bloodborne protection.

To all those that don't wear rubbers of some sort underneath when extricating, why not? Even if the manufacturer claims they are safe, why risk it? It's just like russian roulette isn't it? I was safe at the last prang, maybe I'll try the next one and see how I go....

Doesn't make sense to me.
    Luke

My preference would have to be mechanix i currently have 4 pairs and i have never had a problem they fit nice and you can easly get a pair of rubbers on underneath if you have to.

That has been a discussion at our station lately. More so for the cost. If you have the $$$$, and what company doesn't..... for the buck try the Mechanix Extrication one. I have both them and the Ringers Short Cuff. The ringers is starting to show some wear, but it fits nice. I got mine one size too big just because of the latex glove. As always, use the latex glove underneath. If $$$$ is an issue..like us... the traditional leather glove still works just fine. Be safe.

Default EXTRICATION GLOVES

I HAVE FOUND THAT BOTH WAL-MART AND SEARS SELL A NICE LEATHER GLOVE WITH A PADDED PALM FOR ABOUT $12.00. I USE A PAIR FOR ROPE WORK, WHEN THEY GET A LITTLE FUNKY I DOWN GRADE THEM TO EXTRICATION USE. I THEN BREAK OUT A NEW PAIR FOR ROPE. I WEAR AN XL GLOVE, BUT FOR THESE APPLICTIONS I PURCHASE THE NEXT SIZE SMALLER. THEY ARE A LITTLE TOUGH TO PUT ON INITIALLY, BUT BREAK IN NICELY AND YOU MAINTAIN YOUR MANUAL DEXTERITY.

I too purchased a pair of Ringers short-cuff extrication gloves and after only about 4 months of what I considered moderate use, the seams are beginning to tear already.

Forum Member

For those of you who said you use the Mechanix.

Are they the Mechanix Extrication Glove or just the
    Mechanix gloves. I use the impact 2 and they have held
    up great. I am looking into buying the Mechanix Extriction
    Glove, but don't want to spend the money for them if they
    aren't worth it.

Thread Information