Forum Member

Default Morning Fast Food Fire

Now I don't have many details as I just found out about this fire a little bit ago. At about 10:00am this morning employees noticed a fire in the restaraunt. About 30 people total were in the building at the time the fire broke out. From what I saw the entire building is a complete loss but noone was injured. Part of the East and North walls had collapsed as well as over half of the roof. A local elementary school across the road was evacuated due to smoke blowing towards it and numerous students have breathing problems. Also a gas station next door was evacuated. A full investigation is ongoing.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Forum Member

Fire Rips Through Hardee's

Effingham Daily News

A fire ate its way through the ceiling of Hardee's today destroying the restaurant, snarling traffic, and leading to the evacuation of a nearby elementary school.
    The fire broke out about 9:40 this morning at the restaurant on West Fayette Avenue in Effingham. According to Effingham Assistant Fire Chief Gerald Niccum, the fire is believed to have started in the roof and was fueled by built-up grease in the ceiling area.
    No injuries had been reported at presstime.
    The fire was eating through the roof when firefighters arrived on the scene. By 11a.m., the roof had collapsed into the building and fire was still raging inside. the seating area of the restaurant.
    Niccum said firefighters attacked the fire from inside and outside the building when they arrived and the fire present at that time was on the roof. However, grease and wind intensified the flames, causing them to spread rapidly.
    About 10:45a.m. Effingham Unit 40 School District decided to evacuate West Side School, located one-half block east of the restaurant, and move the students to the gymnasium at Effingham Junior High School.
    According to school officials, the students will return to the school once the smoke from the fire subsides. The wind was carrying the smoke directly toward the school.
    School officials decided to evacuate the school because some of the students have asthma and the smoke could cause complications.
    Hardee's employees on the scene said they smelled smoke in the back of the restaurant area, called the fire department and evacuated the building.
    "We just smelled smoke in the back," said a shift leader.
    According to other employees, there were approximately a dozen customers inside at the time.
    Eight students who were in between agriculture classes at Effingham High School said they were asked to leave the restaurant by employees.
    "One came up and said, `Excuse me, sir, we're going to ask you to leave because we smell smoke. We've called the fire department.`" said one of the students.
    Smoke from the blaze could be seen from several blocks away. Traffic on West Fayette Avenue as wall as West Edgar Avenue,which runs behind the restaurant, was stopped.
    Trucks on Illinois32/33 and U.S. 40 were rerouted through residential districts around the restaurant area.

I guess this gives a new meaning to Hardee's new "Chargrilled" menu

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Thread Information