MembersZone Subscriber

Question Which SCBA Would YOU Choose?

We are looking in to changing out our current SCBA's (interspiro) We're gonna have SCOTT, MSA, and who knows who else come and try to sell us their product. The Question is, What are they NOT gonna tell us? So if it was up to YOU, which SCBA would you choose, and why?
    COFire
    PROTECTING THOSE WHO DEFEND AMERICA ===================================

Forum Member

SCOTT!!!

next question?
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

SCOTT!!! Proven track record.

Forum Member

Exclamation

As you an see SCOTT is the popular one. We recently tried all the companies and chose SCOTT. It's what we had before anyway. The interspiros have been failing in the flash over simulators. If it wasn't for that we almost went interspiro. SCOTT is a fantastic peice of equipment - you won't be disapointed!!!
    IAFF member, Love this job! Remember the oath!

I have used both Scott and MSA. Both have the mask mounted regulators,4500 Bottles and integrated PASS. Both have their own + and -. But By far as ease of use and service SCOTT has the advantage.

My department just went to Scott after 5 years with Survivair. Scott is the only way to fly.

Default ISI

We use ISI and have had good success in the five years we have used them, they are
    easy to repair and easy to do the yearly air test on.

Thumbs up

Scott, Scott, Scott....

My department uses MSA belt mounted. I would perfer to use a mask mounted scba, but the funds haven't been allocated for that. MSA mmr's are nice, but scott's are better. Look at the track record and amount of departments that use them.

Scott! We went from MSA to these. We love them!

Forum Member

I've always been an MSA fan, but since we replaced our MSA belt mounteds with MSA MMR's, we've been having problems w/ pass devices going dead. There is a recall on them, but that recall ain't gonna do much good crawling down that hallway at 3AM. Take it for what it's worth.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

SCOTT is the only way to go
    Loo
    Lieutenant / EMT- Paramedic
    Protective Services Officer

Forum Member

We had Scott and switched to Survivair Panther model. They fit well, have a good field of vision and are easy to clean.

Keepin it real

We have had Scott-2A's then MSA belt mounted reg and now Scott 4.5's and the only thing I have to say is once you go SCOTT there's no going back. The operation of the pack is great from the stand point of the all-thumbs firefighter (he can't mess it up) each member has his own mask and maintance is a breeze.....

Forum Member

Lightbulb Here is an Idea!!!!

EASY!! The one that BEST suits your needs!!!

Try them all, THEN decide which is best for your dept. Make a list of features and options that you are looking for and work from there. Everyone on these boards can tell you what THEY think is the best. You can only go by what you KNOW is the best based on your research.

Good Luck,

Jim

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up

Like Firecapt809 I have used both Scott and MSA. I have found both to be comparable and reliable in a interior situation however in the end I would recommend Scott over MSA. I just find it easier to use and easier to maintain. Hope this helps! Be safe!
    Brookside Engine Company, (NJ)-Captain
    Morristown(NJ) Fire Department-FF
    Mendham Township First Aid(NJ)-EMT- Officer

These views are my own and do not reflect those of these departments

um, i'm gonna have to go with the scott contingency here. you might have to wait a while gettin them in with all the FDNY replacements and other shipments, but it will be WELL worth it.
    Matt G. Warminster Fire Dept. Station 90
    IAFF Local F-106

District Chief

As a firefighter, instructor and fire officer I have tried many different types of SCBA. I find that the SCOTT AP50 is by far the best I have ever worn.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

My dept currently uses Suvivairs and cairns SCBAs and we are in the process of going to Scotts. i got the chance to use another towns scotts @ a training fire last summer and liked it, plus as mentioned scott has the track record. SCOTT it is in my book
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Forum Member

Cool

All I have used is MSA belt mounted. We currently are testing the new MSA Firehawk MMR. I was the firest one to actually wear it at a fire on Saturday. As far as I'm concerned, if it's available I'll grab it instead of one of the others. Its easier to operate and with the way the regulator hangs from the facepiece all you do is snap it in and your on air. I love it!!
    Any questions email me at: mpyle40@hotmail.com
    Last edited by hazmat961; 02-18-2002 at 09:51 PM.

MFD
    Temporarily/No Longer Active

Cool I think Scott

I've used 2 brands MSA(which my department has) and Scott. I'd say 75-80% of the county fire departments have MSAs. and a few have Scotts and we were giving the Scott guys about switch over. There like okay just try one(we just walked/ran a little around the building we were at) I put it on and the pack just felt more stable. then the other thing I liked was about the Scotts were the mask regulators.we got the dear hip regulators(only thing I like about them is I know you shouldn't do this.but If you run out of air you can take your low pressure hose or my department calls it the Ant eater hose(going to your mask) tuck it inside your coat(near your air pit) and that will give you enough air to get out. plus with with Scotts I've noticed if you put your SCBA on the way to the scene . With MSAs we don't hook up our "Ant eater" hose until we're on the scene(cause your wasting air if your sucking air on the way to the scene). With Scotts you unscrew the this little thing(I don't know what it's called but they showed me it when I had on the Scott pack. It was easier to to screw that in hit your air check your regulators and your ready to go. where with MSAs you gotta line your threads up on the "ant eater hose" going into the regulator(make sure your not cross threading),screw your ant eater hose on, then hit your air check your regulators , and you SHOULD be ready to go.

MembersZone Subscriber

Scott all the way. The MSA integrated PASS alarms are problematic at the best of times and always in for repair. I find the Scotts way more comforable and have had fewer problems over all with them.

MembersZone Subscriber

SCOTT 4.5's is what we use! Excellent!
    Always remember the CHARLESTON 9

Captain Grant Mishoe, Curator of History
    North Charleston and American LaFrance Fire Museum
    "You'll never know where you're going until you remember where you came from"
    www.legacyofheroes.org
    www.firehistory.org
    www.sconfire.com

Forum Member

Capnstanm:Is that yer final answer?Don't Know what Woody's talking about a screw in thing,that's old Scott technology.Been in Scott's all 33 yrs of my career,first Scott 1,then Scott 2a, now Ap 50 2.2 Carbon.Sweet! Scott is as simple and reliable as it gets,just bench 'em every two years and BREATHE easy.Simple to clean and maintain,mask up early or not,snap on regulator at the door.Doesn't get any better than this (unless it's 4.5)!T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 02-19-2002 at 10:45 AM.

I think AVF&R452 hit the nail on the head, you have to decide what fits your needs, compare features, options, do your homework and then make the choice based on whats best for your department.

My department is currently going looking to change from low pressure SCBA's to high pressue. When you call the sales reps tell them you want a demo pack. Then after all the sales reps have gone, you can bring out the packs, put them side by side, try them on one after the other, compare features with out getting the "company line". If you have access to a burn building schedule some time there to use the packs or run drills using the diffrent packs, then have everone compare notes. Do your homework and base the final choice on what SCBA best suits your departments needs and you will have the right SCBA.

Thread Information