Forum Member

Default What Happens the First Seconds of a Accident

I was on a ire department website nad they had an awesome breakdown of what happenened the firs seconds of a car accident. However, stupid me did not bookmark it, so I have no idea where it was and I am unable to find it again. I was wondering if anybody else has seen this and where it was at?
    Last edited by rfcmitch; 02-20-2002 at 06:13 AM.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Temporarily/No Longer Active

"Size-up" or Survey the entire scene. Lets say, a car into a pole: Look for hazards, #1 Downed Wires!!!, Hanging wires, Transformers-possibility of the falling, maybe they did fall and the fluid is spilled, is the pole in danger of falling? Are there any fluids leaking from the vehicle, is there a possibility of the vehicle not being stable, Do you have easy and quick access to the vehicle, is there any fire hazard, how many patients, can you remove them from the vehicle via doors, or does it require rapid extrication, What is the severity of the injuries...... This is an example of what would run through my mind in the first few seconds as we pull up on the scene. Then either all hell breaks loose for a few seconds, or it's a calm incident. Usually all hell breaks loose in some way for everyone on a bad call, but you get so used to it. It all seems part of the norm. Then you learn to handle it a little, and it gets a rythmn to it. But you can never get used to an accident, because every one will be different I do what I call "Triage the situation".
    Once you get the scene into perspective, you tackle the first problem you find (ie if there smoke, there COULD be a fire, so you had better make sure a line is pulled and charged, or you get an extinguisher; or if there are power lines on the veh. make sure that power company is expediting, or in rural areas the closest power company is called to move the line away until it can be turned off), next (EMT's) should access the first patient, and the next closest to them, while a partner treats the first patient. If EMS hasn't arrived, someone should have either First aid or First Responder certs; so assess their injuries and report to the EMS unit so they can act more quickly. The F.R. can start treatment I believe (I don't know what F.R.'s can do so use your own discretion.) That's my thoughts..

Forum Member

I know the list that your talking about. I've seen it on several websites but like you I didn't bookmark it. If I see it I'll make sure to post it.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

Forum Member

I think maybe I should explain myself a bit better. Not what we do when we get on a scene. What happens actually in the car. This site had a very goood breakdown about what people do and what is causes and stuff right when the car impacts the object.
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Forum Member

Default Fatal Seconds

Mitch_RFD_NY

Check you private messages. I will post if everyone wants. It's 2 posts long.
    "The saw won't start, heh, grab the axe and start chopping"

Forum Member

Thank you Knighthawk. It was very helpful. Thank you again and all of thsoe that posted.
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

Thread Information