Default What Do you Other Juniors Do At a Call?

I live in Hantsport Nova Scotia and i am a Junior at the local Volentire Fire department. i am just Wondering what you other do at a call. We get to do traffic and haul gear and equipment and if neccicary Spray a 2in hose.

Smile

We get to do rehab stations, change scott bottles, do little stuff like that. Nothing big, we are not allowed to direct traffic though.
    9/11 FDNY NYPD We will never forget you. Thank you for protecting us.

Forum Member

Well. Mostly we stand around with our thumbs up our *sses until somebody tells us to do something. Everybody normally changes air bottles, fills bottles, puts bottles in the book, put up flares at lz's, hook hoses up. Get hoses out , get extinguishers out, put extinguihsers away, roll up hoses, carry fans, set up fans, put away fans, get out brooms for road cleanup, sweep the roads, clean up the mess, put brooms away. Except me... I normally am going around with the clipboard getting everybody checked off who is there and doing the paperwork. Ah... nothing else that I know of. I could really sum it up in 2 words... grunt work? But thats ok, I must get my way into this department somehow.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

At our Explorer Program, at Pacific Fire Department in Pacific Washington we're allowed to do ride alongs. We can do basic stuff like most all other Explorer programs, we can direct traffic. We do training burns. We do most of the stuff other people talk about. It's a lot of fun though isn't it? We're doing a MCI drill here in May with a lot of other Explorer groups here in WA and some from Canada so that should be exciting. If anyone wants to e-mail me, feel free. Aaronstingl@firehousemail.com, thank you.

Cool

The juniors here will do most what you guys do. We will give the fireman whatevery they need. We will also fill bottles, put them back on and put the tools back on. As far as accidents go I really don't know because I haven't been on an accident but will soon. That's it for now
    Adam K.
    Senior Junior Firefighter
    "When you hear the sirens, and see the Fire Truck, you just better get out of the way"

At a fire we are allowed to do everything except go inside a building thats on fire and operate power tools. We usually will throw ladders on the building, take the hydrant or anything else the chief asks.

Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Talking

At my local department we have a cadet program that will not allow use to ride in emergency equipment, we are aloud to respond the scence of fires and fires only, no accidents, they only way we can respond is if it is a emergency vehicle with no lights or siren on. But when we do get the chance to ride we can do small stuff such as set up drafts, fill tankers, roll hose, clean up, once I have help operate a deck gun on a fire, once I also have helped set up a foam system on another fire. We don't do much but when we have drill we can almost do anything, we go in the house, and operate the hose, all I can say is that they day I turn 18 everything will change and I will be loving every minute of it.

Cool

At my fire company, we can do everything except enter a working structure fire, as long as you have the right certifications. However, if it's an emergency or if a life is on the line, the certifications don't mean jack.
    Big Dawg

"Find 'em HOT, leave 'em WET!"

"VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS are NEVER off duty!!!"

Many people here have highlighted the ability to do "Ride Alongs" and I have even seen one post that mentions the fact that they have schedueled times on which they can ride along. This is a bit odd. The purpose of a Junior program is to have a two year (16-18) training period in which to make kids full fledged firefighters. When I am at the station and the tones drop, there is not even a question as to whether juniors ride on the rig or not. Due to the lack of staffing at our department, I usually end up in the cab, sometimes, depending on the paid man, he will let me operate the radio and drop the signals. Others have mentioned the fact that they can only respond to fires. This is also a bit arcane. All of the other situations are the ones which allow for training. At the scene of an MVA, you can learn how to operate the Jaws, how to do proper exrrication, and other skills. At medical calls, one can learn bandaging, splinting and traction. These are the calls that juniors should be on.

Well, we actually get to do a lot of things, but unfortunatley they are not all that fun. We can fill air bottles, change them, and log them into the computer. Sweep up scenes, put out flares, get fans, and get out hoses and roll them up. Some of the work is when we get back and have to clean up the trucks and stuff. Thats about it.
    Visit us at http://www.randolphfire.org

Thread Information