Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire Inspector

MembersZone Subscriber

Question Fire Inspector

My department is hiring a full time fire inspector. This is a new position for our department. We are a paid-on-call department. I am applying for this position and dont have any inspectors training. I have all the nesassary fire training. I have been in the fire service for 8 years also. What should I know and what training other than fire inspector training should I get? I really want this position and whould really appreciate any help I can get from anybody.

Thank You and God Bless!!
    Andrew J. LaPrise

Andrew:

Being a past inspector I can tell you there are few things you must know. You must know how to write. You will never affect change if you cannot properly document. You must be a persuasive speaker. The easiest way to get a business owner to correct a discrepancy is to talk to him about why he should do it. You need to know how to read and interpret blue prints. This is something that takes time and experience to be good at. If you get the job don't be afraid to ask for help at first. You need to be very familiar with the UFC and UBC if your jurisdiction has adopted these codes. Take a Life Safety Code seminar. The LSC seminar will help you understand exit systems and the importance of construction type ratings in buildings. Get to know your local sprinkler installers and alarm technicians. These people can give you a lot of valuable information. Get involved with your county or state's fire prevention officers association. Networking will alleviate the need to reinvent the wheel every time you start something new. Good luck with the job and don't let them take your bunker gear fighting the fire is a lot more fun then preventing it!
    Brian Johnson
    Assistant Chief
    Okinawa, Japan

Andrew:

There are a few options you could look into as far as certification go. First I would check with your State Fire Marshals Office to see if there is a State Certification. Second, you may want to look into The NFPA or BOCA certification programs. NFPA's Fire Inspector Cert. is a good place to start.....BOCA's Inspector I & II are good as well and allow you to become NBFSPQ ( Pro Board ) certified.

Brian is correct in what he said. You must be able to write and be a good speaker/salesmen/educator. Its been my experiance that many business owners want to why and were its says they must do it. Above all remember that Code enforcment & Code administration must be built upon a Foudation of current, consistant standards and Codes. Good luck and stay safe.

On my 18th birthday, my dad gave me some advice that I will always live by. He said that "diplomacy is the fine art of being able to tell someone to go to hell in a manner that will make them look foreward to making the trip".....Always be diplomatic
    JMD

Thread Information