Forum Member

Default Rescue Tools Reel location

We are specing out a new Heavy Rescue which is primarily used for vehicle rescue. The truck will have one electric simo pump connected to two reels, which may or may not be pre-connected (depending on where the reels are). There will be one additional gas unit that will be mounted in a compartment along with another reel. (Plus one portable mini-pump for mobility) We run many crashes on a 6 lane high speed interstate.

I am looking for opinions and experiences on reel locations. I am swaying towards a front bumper mounted system with the twin reels mounted there. The tools may or may not be pre-connected due to room in the bumper. My thought is that no matter where the crash is, we can always nose into it, but may not be able to pass the crash for rear mounted tools/reels, plus the truck gives us a little protection from traffic.

Also, any pictures of your Heavy Rescues and the compartment configuration of rescue tools (heck I'll take any pics of Heavy Rescues anyone wants to e-mail me!, the more ideas the better) would be greatly appreiciated.

(The truck will be a 6 man cab, 22 foot, non-walk through rool up body with 40kw PTO generator).

Thank you!

fursethd@mailbag.com

Daniel Furseth
    Asst. Fire Chief
    DeForest Are Fire/EMS
    DeForest Wisconsin 53532
    Daniel Furseth
    DeForest (WI)
    Safe And Fast Extrication, Inc.
    www.besafeinc.org

"Extrication is like jazz. Improvisation based on fundamentals"

Forum Member

Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

IF YOU CAN SWING IT IN THE BUDGET, I WOULD GO WITH TWO SIMO UNITS AND ONE PORTABLE GAS UNIT. TIE THE TWO SIMO UNITS INTO YOUR TOOLS IF YOU GO WITH THE PRECONNECTED IDEA, USING ONE OF THE SIMO UNTIS FOR THE FRONT REEL AND PLACING THE REST ON REELS IN THE BACK SOMEWHERE. MOST FRONT REELS ARE MOUNTED ON THE OFFICER SIDE DUE TO THE RAPID DECELARATION INTO TREES AND THE LIKE. WITH THE TWO SIMO UNITS ONBOARD YOU CAN ALWAYS GO BACK AND ADD TWO MORE REELS TO THE RESCUE AT A LATER DATE IF MONEY DOES NOT ALLOW FOR IT THIS YEAR. IF YOU CAN ONLY GO WITH THE TWO REELS I WOULD PLACE ONE IN THE FRONT AND ONE IN THE BACK FOR BETTER ACCESS TO THE INCIDENT. THE IDEAL THING THAT I HAVE SEEN IS FOR ALL FOUR REELS TO BE MOUNTED IN THE BACK AND HAVE ALL YOUR TOOLS AND EXTRICATION EQUIPMENT THERE SO YOU CAN HAVE THE MOST SPACE AVAILABLE FOR IT AN LEAVE THE FRONT BUMPER OPEN FOR YOUR WINCH AND OTHER ITEMS. I SAW A RESCUE OUT OF NJ WITH AN A FRAME ON THE FRONT. MAKE SURE YOU LEAVE ROOM FOR LATER IMPROVEMENTS IF YOU WANT TO HAVE SOMETHING ON THE PIECE BUT CAN NOT BUDGET FOR IT THIS YEAR. I LIKE THE FORTY KW GENERATOR YOU ARE PLANNING. THAT SHOULD BE ENOUGH TO POWER THE FOOTBALL LIGHTS ON THE TOP OF THE RESCUE.

HOPE THIS HELPS.
    MATT

MembersZone Subscriber

From the first time I've seen them there and now that I get to use it, I love having a reel and preconnected tools right on the front bumper. It gives you a few more feet of reach. As far as the winch, you can see about moving it to the opposite side of the bumper. We don't use them. In my career so far I have yet had or seen the need to use one. Plus with the amount of maintenance, or how they become if it isn't done, they become a problem. For us being in a urban area, if we had a need arise for the use of a winch operation, the tow truck companies are very fast, even at night. With the second one, I'd go for the rear. We have a reel on both sides, so we can operate on whatever side we need to. Good luck in your choices.

-=-------------------------------------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

MembersZone Subscriber

Why not be "reely" innovative!

Spec your onboard hydraulic system just like you spec a pump on an engine. The onboard hydraulic system is pre-plumbed with hydraulic hoseline discharge connections on every side of the rescue rig just like an engine has discharge outlets for hoselines.

At the crash, you fire up the system, take the hose reels out of a compartment and plug them in to the hydraulic connections closest to the crash work area. The rescuers deploy the tools from there.

Why not? That's what we do with handlines.
    Ron Moore, Forum Moderator
    www.universityofextrication.com

We've got a preconnect hyd. reel up front, and one up top in the same compt. as our power unit, Pass. rear.
    I think, just my worthless opinion, that the mounted reels would be more effective than the plug-in ports with a reel from the truck. You wouldn't gain a great deal more reach (if you had front and rear already plumbed), and you would be taking up compt. space with a reel that could be used for something else. But versatility is the hallmark of an effective rescue unit, both the people and their equipment. Being able to, for example, have both "preconnects" in service on one side of the rig, and add an additional line and tool to the other side in a hyd. port without shutting anything down would be cool. Strong power unit and you're set...
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

My department runs a 2000 Pierce Saber Heavy Walk Through Rescue, the unit is equipped with two electric simo pumps which power four reels. We also carry a gas power unit.

One reel is mounted in the front bumper on the drivers side, it has 100 feet of hose, and is preconnected to a combination tool. The tool sits in a stainless steel tray mounted on top the bumper and is covered with a small custom made tarp held on with velco. On the passanger side there is an electric reel with 100' cord. This set up has worked extremely well for us as our coverage area is mostly two lane roads, when you cannot pass the scene it is nice to be able to nose in, and then have quick access to a tool and power for sawzalls, and additional lighting.

The remaining three reels are mounted on the drivers side in the rear compartment each has 100' of hose. Two are preconnected to tools, 1 to a 32 inch spreader the other to a cutter. The third reel has a manifold attached for hooking up rams or additonal tools.

Other reels on the truck are an electic reel on the passanger side in the front compartment. A electric reel on the drivers side front compartment and a utility air reel in the drives side front compartment. The air reel is supplied by the appratus's engine, we had a bigger cfm compressor added to the engine and an extra air tank added, the reel is supplied off of this tank. Even with a wye on the line using two air hammers we have yet to run out of air. It saved us allot of money as it did away with all the safety checks that need to be put in if the line was supplied by the cascade system and there are no cylinders to fill after a call.

Hope some of this helps,

Stay safe

dazed and confused

Lightbulb Reelage

2001 E-One Cyclone II/Saulsbury Rescue Engine

On our extrication truck, we placed extrication reels in the following locations:
    - 1 in the front bumper, officer's side well
    - 2 in the rear driver's side compartment, mounted high in the coffin compartment space.

All reels are preconnected to tools (along with a controller reel for the amkus ultimate controller).

In the front bumper, the reel is connected to a combination tool resting in a well on the driver's side. In the middle, we have a 75' trash line. A diamond-plate cover extends the length of the bumper extention, and opens by tipping up. On the cover, we have some Res-Q-Renches, and paint sprayers on extension handles, and soon a GlasMaster. One thing I would recommend if you choose this route: use a waterproof piano hinge for the cover. Ours piano hinge leaks and we may be looking in to having it made more weather-resistant. As far as winches go, we can still use ours on the front bumper. Granted, it's a moveable type and only 4 tons. We added hitches on all sides for the winch. FYI: we blatantly copied parts of Fitchburg, Wisonsin's "Squad 1" bumper, so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about by visiting them here since I don't have any good pics of ours yet.
    http://www.fitchburgfire.com/apparatus/fis1.htm
    (they have an electric reel in the driver's side well)

In the rear compartment, the two reels are mounted high in the high-sides...actually up in the top-accessed coffin compartments. Now, if you are thinking of going with rollup doors, I would recommend NOT doing this because you end up having a lot of dead space behind the rollup mechanism (and you have to feed the HRT hose around the assembly using rollers. Since we have rollup doors, the best use of space would've been to mount the reel high WITHIN the compartment, just behind the rollup mechanism. If you are going with traditional rescue-style doors, I'd recommend mounting the reels up top because you free up space for top shelf access (pull out/tip down shelving). We keep a panel cutter and 32" spreaders preconnected.

This setup, although new to us, has worked out very well on recent calls. Our front bumper setup packs a quick initial punch.

Forum Member

Rescue14

We are also copying the Fitchburg WI rescue. Very well thought out truck. Do you have any pics of yours yet?

Still looking for pics of any newer Heavy Rescues and compartment layouts.

Thanks.

fursethd@mailbag.com
    Daniel Furseth
    DeForest (WI)
    Safe And Fast Extrication, Inc.
    www.besafeinc.org

"Extrication is like jazz. Improvisation based on fundamentals"

It has been my experience the hydraulic tools run more efficently off of a electric simo pump compared to a hydraulic generator.

Just my opinion and observation.

God bless America and those who protect it.
    Last edited by tfd603; 03-16-2002 at 09:54 PM.

Thread Information