Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 3 of 3
  1. #1
    Forum Member DaSharkie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2000
    Posts
    4,713

    Default Educational Incentives

    Ladies and Gentlemen,

    I am in the process of working on a paper for a course in fires science adn would like some assistance from my fellow bucketheads. I was wondering if any of you could post or e-mail me what educational incentives your department / or union comtract has. I would also need to know what department you belong to, not your name, but locations that I can document in my report and their benefits. I would also like to know if your department requires education to be appointed to the job, and especially if their is a requirement for a management or fire science degree in order for one to be promoted. Information on tuition reimbursement and percentage or flat rate incentives for Associates, Bachelor's, masters, and even doctorate and restrictions to degrees programs. I know this is a lot of information but this is a highly used forum and I figured it would be worth a shot to get information from across the country. Once again thank you for any all help given.

    P.S. - Out of curiosity, if degrees in EMS are allowed by your city that would help out as well.
    Last edited by DaSharkie; 02-20-2002 at 09:25 PM.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

    The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

    "No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

    "As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

    www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    From North Pole, AK to Hell, OK
    Posts
    180

    Default

    Shark,

    We get
    $25 extra for 25-59 college hrs.
    $50 extra for 60 hrs. or an Associate's.
    $75 extra for Bachelor's.
    $100 extra for post-grad.

    Tuition reimbursement is half your enrollment costs up to 6 hrs.,
    and I guess at one point was only applicable for degrees (or classes that fit these degrees) like Poli Sci, Fire Protection Eng., Admin., etc.. But it is coming around to paying for stuff like EMS certification like the large investment of Paramedic class. Some people forego getting the city to defray half their school because it's rumored that once you do, you have to continue to work for the city for two years. Most people would anyway, but it could suck to have something like that hanging over your head.

    Central Oklahoma...
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

  3. #3
    Forum Member DeputyChiefGonzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Somewhere between genius and insanity!
    Posts
    13,583

    Default

    Da Sharkie...

    If I could find my copy of the contract, I could give you exact figures...

    Our educational incentive is based on percentages, based on the number of credits you have. It is on an ascending scale, with 60 credits worth 10% of the base salary for the rank. 120 credits worth 12% of the base salary for the rank. Ranks covered under our contract are Firefighter, Lieutenant, Captain and Deputy Chief.

    First responders get 2% of base salary, EMT's get 5% plus the first responder pay for a total of 7%.

    Master firefighter (ten years of service) is an additional 5% of base salary.

    We have the option of having the educational and other incentives (such as night shift differential) paid either weekly or lump sum.

    We also get a $1000 a year stipend for hazmat and sick leave buyback Both are paid once a year (buyback in January, hazmat in July).

    There is no requirement for a degree to be promoted...we are a civil service department, you must pass the exam for the rank and be appointed from the list.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts