Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Handy Dandy Gadgets in your pockets . . .

I've seen alot of threads about what you carry in your bunker gear, and ive seen the usual lights and knives and stuff, but does anyone carry anything out of the ordinary?

steve

Lightbulb

Yes I do....A picture of my Daughter. That to me is more support then any tool can give.
    Lets ROLL..!!!!!

Talking Odd Stuff

I normally carry some of the heavy fishing weights or some dead D cell batteries, These work great for busting out windows while in a structure on Search and Rescue
    C.M. Baker
    Georgia

Talking Recent Additions

Some of this stuff might be out of the ordinary, I dunno. Since I'm known to carry ungodly amounts of gadgets and gizmos, I try to limit what I carry to tools that have more than one function. Also, lightweight is good too. Some things I have added to the "tool chest" recently to replace single-use items include:

Couple of "Wedge-It's"
    www.wedgeit.com
    These things are the handiest door wedges I've ever seen. They're a combination hinge-hook, door-wedge, and door-jam block. They're especially handy on EMS calls holding open screen doors without closers, etc. Lightweight Lexan construction.

Linesman Cutters
    http://www.cottersales.com/19.htm
    Ok these are kind of heavy. But they are a good pair of cutters in case of entanglement, so I think it is worth the weight. The local Ace Hardware store hooked me up.

TFT Res-Q-Rench
    http://www.tft.com/products/res-q-rench/
    This thing is ultra-useful, and ultra-lightweight. Undocumented 7th feature on it: it opens oxygen bottles with an integral cylinder post wrench.

I ditched the Leatherman. Impossible to open with gloves on, heavy, and I never used it. In a thigh pocket, I added a small PPE bag with safety glasses, hearing protection, EMS gloves, and an N-95 mask. The other pocket has 60ish feet of 3/8" rope, prerigged with edge-guard and carabiner. Can be used in conjunction with Gut-Belt stored on sewn-on straps on pants, which I always wear.

I'm always looking for new and cool stuff for gear (or, the "tried and proven" from the veterans), so let's hear some more!
    Last edited by Resq14; 02-21-2002 at 10:19 AM.

About the only oddball thing I carry is an old golf ball. They can be used to take out windows in a hurry if the need arises.
    I can think of no more stirring symbol of man's humanity to man than a fire engine.

--Kurt Vonnegut

Default Wedgeit

Its About time someone figured that one out. I have been carrying 3"lenghts of angle iron with hooks on the outside edge for hinges but have never seen a comercial version ...Right On... I also carry a good pair of linesman pliers and a roll of 3M super 88 pvc tape sticks in all temps.
    J.B.WEIR
    Summerville Vol Fire Dept
    Pride In Service !

MembersZone Subscriber

I carry a tool called a Boa Constrictor, made in the UK. I don't know if they have a website or not. I'll try and describe it.

It has a handle piece with a rubber strap attached that you wrap around something and then thread back down through the handle. You then turn the handle against the strap to tighten and it will open or tighten anything between 1/2 inch and 4 inches. Easy to use, only drawback is that the handle is plastic. Objects on't have to be round, they can be any shape.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

I still carry my old Jones Snap pick. Not to show my age but it is good for the occasional window busting, small prying, etc. Most of the newer members don't even know what it is when I show them.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

1 Folding spanner wrench.

2 pocket set of hex head key wrench

3 2" medical tape

4 2 wood wedges

5 large leatherman tool

6 leather work gloves

7 15' webbing

I used to carry more but the pockets wouldn't close

OK, not in my pockets, but wrapped around the back of my helmet, I have a bungee cord. It's cheap...most of the time, I use it to hold open a screen door, but I've kept fans in windows with it too...just something extra to have.

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

Cool

I have a changeable tip screwdriver and I also carry a shove knife.
    A fellow F/F bought this tool from DeWalt. It has saw blades that are changeable.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

Thread Information