MembersZone Subscriber

Question "Telesquirt Tactics"

I am looking for any Fire Companies who have been using telesquirts for any period of time. Our Department has just placed three new
    E-one 50'aerial (telesqiurt)
    ( like the one here~~~> http://www.e-one.com/50Boom.html )
    I have read the operators manual and the info at the E-one web site. But I would like to hear from Firefighters with regard to some Hands-On Tactics used , things you do like, dislike and limitations you have discovered during fire ops, extrication, access problems etc...

The apparatus is here to stay (for a while) so if recommend getting rid of it. I am stuck

I would be very grateful for any good feedback and or links to tactcal guidelines or webpages.

Fraternally,
    "Making Sense with Common Sense"
    Motor Vehicle Rescue Consultants
    ( MVRC@comcast.net) Jordan Sr.

Forum Member

We have operated one of these trucks since 1991 as a first due engine/truck and have loved it. We are a mostly 2 story plus attic residential town with a small commercial downtown with 2 story businesses. It has been extremely versatile in what it can do. It is small enough that we can get into tight spots that rear mounted 55' arials could not operate in. At 50' it is long enough to reach most of the roofs that we have needed to. We have a 450 gal water tank and 50 gal foam tank on it. Being a first due piece always (almost) leaves room in front of the building to place it where we need it. Hose bed is large enough to carry 1100' of 5" plus a couple hundred feet of 2 1/2". 2 1 1/2" crosslays plus a front jump line make for quick attacks. The ladder is easy to use and have had no complaints from anyone about lack of stability. We looked at rear mount squirts for a while and always wondered how a person gets off the ladder in the dark with the hose bed half empty...this ladder is much more user friendly. I would have to say our only dislike is the engine that we went with being a little underpowered for the truck. On one hand, that's good as it keeps drivers honest, but a little more get up and go would have been nice. We have flowed over 1000 gals from the ladder both with a man on the ladder and not. You can see photos in the Equipment area at http://www.oceanfire1.org of our apparatus.

MembersZone Subscriber

Sitting in my chair, listening to the scanner while the young kids respond

We have used a 50ft Telesqurt since 1981. Mounted on a Pierce Arrow with a 1,000 gal tank and 1,250 pump. Just love it. Biggest problem is training. Drivers must learn where to park it. Ladder is short over the front and distance from the building must decrease as height increases. Just like and other aerial device.

A good operator should be able to hold the joy stick in one hand and the nozzel control switch with the other and move ladder and nozzel without jerking the tip all over the place. Again takes a lot of practice.

Nice safe way to put ff on roof for ventilation. The ability to flow water at any level is nice. I have stuck it inside the door of a warehouse as well as used as a traditional elevated stream. Works good for dumpster fires, no hose to reload.

Best of luck.

Pete in Michigan
    Pete Sinclair
    Hartford, MI
    IACOJ (Retired Division)

MembersZone Subscriber

My career station had a tele-squrt on an American La France chassis for a number of years. Our basic operation with it was not as an aerial ladder as we have Truck Co.'s. We basically utilized it as a master stream of convenience on good jobs. Our territory is about 80% garden apartments most of which are run down or headed that way. Our typical operation with it was as exposure protection you could set up and walk away from. The E/O would throw it to protect the most severly exposed building and get back to his pump panel. It also came in great for dumster fires as the E/O could dump the tank into the dumpster in question and no hose hit the ground. It offers alot of flexibility when the 1st due Truck Co. is held up. Burned thru stairs or balconies are no problem. The rig offered the ability to get into tight spaces with a method to get the 1st line into operation. Atleast you have a mid mount. The rig you appear to have is actually certified with the same capabilities as E-One aerials. The design you have also allows for uninterupted hose laying not offered by most quints or tele-squrts. One word of caution though, its not a Truck Co. so don't try and use it as such. Be safe.

Larry

Let me tell you something about telesqurts. LOVE THEM!!!! I think that they are the most functional piece of firefighting apparatus you can buy. An engine with a elevated master stream. They are usually small in size which make them great for getting around the tight areas. And if layed out compartment wise good can do almost anything.

My department in 2000 replace our 50' squrt with a 75' quint. I was sad to see the squrt go but it served us well for 20 years.

Some considerations for running a squrt. ONE it is not a ladder truck so don't run it as one. It is an engine with greater flexablilty to deliver water. You still need a ladder truck for truck work, equipment, and most of all the ground ladders that a squrt usually doesn't carry alot of. TWO position the truck so if you use the boom the stream will be affective. Once we used it in an attic fire were the engine crew could not make entry from inside the house. The truckies vented the roof then knock out the front attic window. Then we stuck the boom of the squrt in the window and knocked down the fire. Only damage was to the attic and roof and suprisingly little water damge to the house.

I think with time and training you'll come to love these trucks. In my area if I had a four man engine crew and a squrt I could handle everything!
    "You can't volunteer to be a doctor on the weekends"

Just out of morbid curiousity, are there any complaints about them?

Temporarily/No Longer Active

FDNY had good success for 15 years with Tele-Squrts during their HEAVY fire years.

Thread Information