Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default A little help with Educational incentives

Hello all,

I posted this in another thread and didn't get a great response so I figured I'd try it again here.

I am taking a class in fire service management and collective bargaining. I am asking for anyone to post educational incentives that your department or union have negotiated for its members. I would like to know what there is for associates, bachelors, masters in fire science and if any of your departments offer educational incentive for EMS degrees. Also if there are any stipends for EMS certifications, Basic, Intermediate, or ParaGod -- I mean Paramedic.

The only thing I need is a break down for stipend / incentives and the department that you work on. The last thing is if any department requires a degree for promotion to any rank.

Thanks for the help.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

Forum Member

Shark to start with fire inspectors and mechanics get$ 1500 per year stipend above there bases pay.
    EMT,s get $50 per day when they do emt work.
    We also have an educational stipend of $29.50 per point, which equal too 1 collage credit.
    We are allowed 120 points with out an associates degree. and 160 points with. So we are looking at 3600 and 4800 extra in ourbase pay which is in our case considered pensionable and is part of our base pay for overtime pay basis.
    In addition our city will also pay up to 80% of the cost of college tution if you pass the course with an 80% average

Educational reimbursment of up to $500 per year.

Associates or better in a Fire related field = 3% of a top step FF's pay

30 units or more w/ major in fire science or related subject = 1.5% of top step FF's pay

2% of FF's top step for EMT-D

5% of Captains pay for EMT-I
    Last edited by sohardy; 03-01-2002 at 03:11 PM.

Forum Member

Cool

As it stands right now, ( and that is always subject to change ) if you take a class on any subject the city will remburse you 90% for a A, 80% for a B, 70% for a C. And that is for any class even non fire related.

Have a good day and be safe

Joe

Forum Member

In my dept. we get $1500 added to our base pay for taking 80 hours of classes. The classes have to be aproved by the dept. and include college classes, FFP classes and other specialty classes like rope rescue, extrication and so on. We get 100% reinbursed for passing the class. We also get $500 on our base for getting our inspectors licence, NREMT or NREMT-P, fire service instructor and TRT(hazmat1 and 2, dive rescue, extrication tech, trench rescue, rope rescue).
    This is all part of our collective bargining agrement with the city.
    As for daily incentives EMT's get 5% for being on the rescue and Paramedics get 5% for being incharge of the rescue along with an extra 2.5% when thier is a student riding with them.

Our dept. pays nothing for college. I have an associates degree in Fire Science in case someday I decide to go somewhere else.
    They do pay:
    Inspectors - $500 annually
    Instructors - $500 annually
    Paramedics - $2,000 annually
    For promotion consideration you must have at least a FireOfficer 1 certificate.
    Take Care & Be Safe

My department pays for classes, gives you the time off and we get a 5% of your base pay as an education incentive
    Lt. Frank Ricci<br />This my opinon and does not reflect the views of my Employer or family!

Thread Information