MembersZone Subscriber

Question T-N-T Multi-Purpose Fire Tool?....

...Would like to get opinions from those of you who have used these tools. Looks like a good idea, however, my local fire equipment suppliers indicate that they don't sell very many. What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Forum Member

i have one personally, and I love it. I am gonna try to get my chief to get one for each of our trucks.
    Loo
    Lieutenant / EMT- Paramedic
    Protective Services Officer

Default Great Tool

We have one on every truck. They are a really nice tool because it is an axe, a sledge hammer and something else all in one tool.

Thumbs down

We had this tool at the department I used to work at. We hated them! The handle was slick and was hard to hold when your gloves were wet. When the tool would slide in your hands the hook would tear you gear or rip your glove off. After we had the problems the tools never got used much. Just my 2 cents.
    Henry C. Hoffman Jr.

MembersZone Subscriber

IMHO the best tool on the truck. Think about it, when you go into a job you want to take as many tools as possible while at the same time lightening your load as much as possible. The TNT gives you an axe, a sledge and a hook all in one. It also has a nice handle on the axe head for easy carrying. I personally have never had any problems with the slick handle. Perhaps this was an older version?

Thumbs up

Most versatile tool on the engine,lightweight and easy to carry. what's not to like about it, although I can see the problem with slipping ours has a rubber like coating on it that definitly gets slick when wet. We rectified this by using cloth tape.
    "Firefighting is a team Sport, so know your place and do your job"

Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Thumbs down Re: TNT

Reply:
    Although I am explorer I do know a little bit about somethings and right now I am taking a class to become a rescue technician and we had a discussion about recue tools such as Halmotro, Hurst, TNT, and other tools, the teacher said that TNT wasn't a good choose, in our department we don't use TNT but down the road the have one TNT tool on the Reccue Truck and they are getting rid of it because they don't like the way it works, feels, and other mess.

MembersZone Subscriber

Ryan,

Just to help clear the misunderstandings that you (and anyone else) may have, these folks are talking about the T-N-T Tool

(sorry for the large image size, but this is linked from TNT's web site and I couldn't get the "[img]" tag to let me resize it.)

More info available at www.tnttoolsinc.com

Also - please don't think I'm ragging on you or singling you out because you're an explorer. I happen to be the person @ my station in charge of working with our Junior Members (no explorer programs in our area) and I know what a great job that Young folks like yourself can do. I applaud you for your interest and dedication to a field that fewer and fewer young people seem to care about.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

I like it for the most part. The one part I don't is the pike hook sticking out like it does.

T-N-T if you're listening, consider putting a spring loaded hook in it's place, cover it with a sliding collar to keep it in and let us take it out when we need it.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Forum Member

N2Dfire,I E-mailed the young grasshopper to"mend" his ways.Thanks for providing a "visual" for positive reinforcement.A handy tool in my opinion.T.C.
    Last edited by Rescue101; 02-25-2002 at 11:11 AM.

The guys I have absolutely love the T-N-T tool.
    When we have Mutual Aid Companies around us, it's always a tool that gets passed around so others can try it out.

MembersZone Subscriber
    The southern shore of beautiful Lake Michigan

Thumbs down My opinion

Only my opinion,

I do not like these tools!

Too heavy to use the hook and the length of the tool puts the striking/axe end near your head when pulling ceiling (most ceiling height....or..... you can't reach higher ceilings)!!!!

When using striking face, hook is facing your wrist!?!

Again my opinion.....Most "MULTI-PURPOSE" tools (designed to do "everything"), don't do anything as well as a tool designed to do a specific job. (This, in no way, is intended to include the wonderful tool invented by Chief Halligan of the FDNY)

I prefer to carry (most of the time) a 6' NY Roof hook & a 30" Halligan. About the same weight (as a TNT), but you get the reach of a 6' hook....You do not have the weight when striking with a Halligan, but I can live with that! The prying power with this combo blows the TNT out of the water!
    FTM-PTB
    trk4

I personally don't dig 'em, just feels unbalanced when you use the pike end, then you got it pointed back at ya using the business end.

Could you pry a door with it? Could, it'd be easier with the irons.
    Could you twist off a padlock with it? No, but I guess you could smash the hell out of it with "sledge" part.
    Could you vent a roof? Yeah, but hey, there's a reason axe heads don't weigh 8 or more lbs.
    Could you sink it into a roof to give yourself a foothold while making vent hole cuts? Could with a halligan.
    Could you reach out far enough off a ladder to vent a window? Hope so.
    When you VES an untenable room, which end do you probe at the base of the window with? It kinda suck to poked with either one, but hey, it's better than dyin'.

I think I'll be fine with the irons, or maybe a heavy set: sledge/halligan, with my partner's 6ft pike. But hell, if the TNT blows your dress up, then run with it. On second thought, maybe you shouldn't.
    ...if you put the handline in the right spot, you won't have to jump out the window...
    -Andy "Nozzles", SQ18, 9-11-01

Thumbs up

Seen them used, they seem good, I liked the feel. I good fast multipurpose tool to grab when you are unsure of what you need. And for the Explorer, take peoples opinions as opinions. I have personally used, Lukas, Hurst, Holmatro, and TNT rescue tools either at scenes or in training. I personally am a fan of TNT, cuts and spreads well, fairly light and very compact with its pump. But this is just my opinion.

We have one on each engine. When we bought them they were calling them "Denver Tools" The tool itself does a good job. I do agree with some of the other posts about the slipping issue, but it's still the first tool grabbed by most members of my department on most incidents.

Thread Information