AXE

Thumbs up Qualified Man Hired!

In response to a message I previously posted about racial matters being involved with the hiring of a firefighter, This past week, the most qualified man WAS hired. I am sure it is the result of many many prayers and thanks go to all who kept us in your thoughts and prayers.
    It is a shame that some people don`t see the importance of firefighters job, especially the driver/operator. A non qualified man in no way should be a driver/operator. It was still a split vote along racial lines... 3yes 2 no vote.
    Again, just wanted everyone to know the outcome of our "mess".

Forum Member

We go through the same problem every few years. The city that I work in is about 80% black, and the fire and police departments are about 80% white. The local NAACP chapter always rants and raves about how the city departments need to reflect the demograpics of the citizens. Unfortunately, this can result in highly qualified people being passed up for others, based soley on the color of skin. It has been openly discussed that we need more black officers in our department. I agree that the color of skin should have nothing to do with whether you are hire or promoted.

Thread Information