Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question What is the best Shift?

My department recently got approval from city counsel to go from 12 hour shifts in station to 24 hour coverage. For the last twelve years we have had career people in station for 0600 to 1800 Monday thru Saturday, nights and sunday vol. responded via pager... they are not in house. Because we are a small combination department a ton of debate over which shift to adopt is flying around. We have 27 career firefighters and will be hiring three more. We will have three divisions of ten firefighters each. So which shift is best 24/48 or "California swing"?

Talking

As for the BEST shift to work, that differs with regards to each persons situation and or travel to the job.

We work a 3/4/3 shift that is to say we work: monday-Wednesday-Friday then are off for four strait, the following week we would work: Wednesday-Friday-Sunday off for four strait and so on.

If there were to be a lot of commutors they might want to cluster the chifts together like a 48on/48off typo of shift. Just depends on YOUR people and what they want.

Eric Taylor-UTah
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

The best shift is a busy shift!!!

Cool

I'm guessing you are on an average 56 work week schedule.I would pick either the:1)California(w-o-w-o-w-o-o-o-o),or 2)Chicago(w-o-o-w-o-o-w).There are pros&cons for each.We work the Chicago and for trading purposes,it works well.The main down side to it is that you have to do a trade to get a TRUE weekend off.With the California plan,you have built in 4 day weekends.But,you'll also have to work ie:3 Saturdays in a row.But the number of Saturdays are the same over the calendar year.The FFR's I know that have worked both shifts,most of them prefer the Cal.shift.If you are allowed trading shifts,I'd go with the Chicago,if not the Cal.By no means would I work a 48/96,I've worked many 48s and to work 48 on a regular basis,I'd go wacky.Being at the firehouse 24 is enough!!!!!!!Put it to a vote within the dept.Just make sure your city allows work day trades,some don't and that would suck.

I'll have to agree, the best shift, is a busy shift!
    Just for info, though, our's is pretty nice! 24on, 24off, 24on, five days off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ya'll take care and stay safe.

24/72 is a very good shift schedule

MembersZone Subscriber F52Westside's Avatar

E229lt said it best - The busy shift does Rock !!!!

Our dept. does what I guess is called the "California Swing shift" ( never knew what it was called before)

Work 3 out of 5 days then off 4. We love it ! The best is you only have to use 3 vacation days and you can get basically 2 weeks off.
    Stay Safe & Bring 'em Home!
    Eddie C.
    I.A.F.F. Local 3008

"Doin' it for lives n' property"

** "The comments made here are this person's views and not that of the organizations to which I am affiliated" **

How about ...6 years on ......18 years off... 1 year vacation ......retirement
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Forum Member

In response to the question of which shift is the best? That is simple........"A" shift. Like there ever was a doubt.....Just kidding. We work a 3 day 3 off 3 night 3 off, but the winds of change are blowing here among us young guys ( of which I still am one, by the way ). We are looking into 24's, and since we are on a 42 hour week, it would be 24 on, 72 off. Yahoo! When do we start? There are many depts. in the area who work that schedule, and we are gathering the pertinent information, vacation time, ot hiring, sick leave, etc. etc. I'm keeping my proverbial fingers crossed.
    Leroy140 Fairfield, CT Local 1426

Yeah "A" shift rocks!!!!
    No really,
    We work on 24 off 48 with an A,B,C shift. It is good for having a part time job.
    Your shifts will probably have to be a majority vote within your dept. The main thing for you guys is that your getting away from 12 hour shifts and adopting a traditional firehouse schedule!!
    Take Care & Be Safe

Forum Member

Department works 4 shifts on, 4 off, 4 on, 6 off.
    W-O-W-O-W-O-W-O-O-O-O-W-O-W-O-W-O-W-O-O-O-O-O-O
    And then you start all over again. Seems to work well with commuters. Shifts change at 08:00 and alot of firefighters drive an hour or more.

*Mark
    FTM-PTB-RFB-EGH

Default Best shift

I'm assuming you're covering your town 24 hours a day 365 days a year now, right? If not, I'd fight to do just that. There's no reason for the volly's to be taking food from your family's mouth's. If so, 24 on 72 off is the only way to go. The only downfall of that shift is you can get hammered in that 24 hours, even in the town of Bedrock or Mayberry. My vote gets the 24/72!!!

Default 24 hour Shift

Thanks for your input on this issue folks. As of right now we are going to go with the "california swing shift" w-o-w-o-w-o-o-o-o-w-o-w-o-w. Looks like this summer but things seem to always get pushed back.

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

I work 4/on 4/off. 2-10 hour days 08:00-18:00 ( although it is custom to come in 30-60 minutes early, nites and days) 2-14 hour nights 18:00-08:00. This is followed by 4 days off.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

How does fdny run their shifts?

24/48 ARE GREAT. EVERY WORK DAY IS LIKE A FRIDAY, BECAUSE WHEN YOUR TOUR IS OVER YOUR OFF FOR 2 DAYS. THE ONLY BAD THING ABOUT IT IS EVRY BODY GET A TASTE OF WORKING THE HOLIDAYS..... OH WELL IT'S TOUGH BEING A HERO.

MembersZone Subscriber
    No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

spo0k- I believe they do 2 days 9am x 6pm followed by 2 days off and then work 2 nites 6pm x 9am. Many guys switch with other guys in the
    house in order to work 2- 24 hour shifts.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

everybody wishes that they were "C" Shifters!!
    Anyway,
    Here in NC this schedule is real common. We use it here in Asheville as well as Charlotte.

W-O-W-O-O-W-O-W-O-O-O-O-W...

This is a 3 platoon system. We have 3 OT cycles but I believe Charlotte receives Kelly days.

if you take 2 days vac you get nine days straight.

we refer to the schedule as L.A. modified.

Whichever schedule you guys go with you will love working 24s. You cant beat it.
    Stay Safe Brothers
    Last edited by afdfireman; 05-01-2002 at 01:59 AM.

Here it is basically the same as for Puffy. 4 on 4 off, 10 hr days, 14 hr nights. Days starts @ 8am, nights @6pm, but everyone comes in an hour early, to relieve the previous shift. Actually in some halls if you don't come an hour early you are considered 'late'.

24/48 all the way i like th e2 days off it gives me time to do other things but anymore time off than that and i get restless
    "B" shift rules
    I PROVIDE A NAMELESS FACELESS SERVICE TO A COMMUNITY THAT RARELY KNOWS HOW MUCH THEY NEED ME IF I AM CALLED FROM A SOUND SLEEP TO SACRIFICE MY LIFE TRYING TO SAVE THE PROPERTY OR LIFE OF SOMEONE I DO NOT KNOW I WILL DO SO WITHOUT REGRET
    From the book "The Heart Behind The Hero" from Jon Mc Duffie in memory of Joe Dupee LAFD

Thread Information