Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Question What was the reason you joined the explorer/cadet/jr. firefighter program?

I was wondering why was the reason that you joined to explorer/cadet program? I know that many people are in it because of other family members where in the fire service before them. I was just thinking what was the reasons that others would join. Please read and respond.

My Reason for joining:
    The reason that I join the fire service for my local volunteer fire department is because I live in a small little one horse town with only about 2,000 people (it is all good, i love being a country boy) and there is really nothing to do around here except the fire department and I really never had the encouragement to join the fire department untill my good friend David asked me if I wanted to join and I figured sure why not, I had nothing to loose. The first night that I was there was a big argument between the other cadets and advisors about some stuff and I thought that I would not go back but I did and it is the best thing that I have done! I have to say that it has been the best learning experience that I could ever take part in and now I can't get enough of what I do, I try to every class related to the fire service, I talk about all day in school and at home and most of all I know what I want to do with my life! I know when I graduate high school that I will become a professional paramedic firefighter. Although there is problems that are faced at the fire department I can't let them get to me and I have just jump over them because I know that this is the best thing that I can do! Why would anyone else want to do anything with their lives. I can't ride any emergency equipment yet but when I do I will know that I have made a major impact in the community and which I live and for all the firefighters that have came before me I have to give them the ultimate respect.

Well I got into the fire service as an explorer in 1996. It was kind of a natural progression, my father was a 25+ yr member(several times an LT),my mother was a member when I was younger, cousins, grandfather,the works. I was in boy scouts w/ two other sons of FF's that had joined the post in 94-95 and they got me to join. got hooked and the day after i turned 18 y/o I was appointed to the dept. got my ticket and here i am.
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

I joined the Dept. bacause i saw some other kids havin fun and i wanted in on it too. Plus, somebody has to do it. I guess this was a way for me to help out with the community. I have fun.

Talking

The reason i joined my local volunteer was because my grandfather was a member for 44 years and when i was younger i used to go and wash the trucks with him and my uncle. then when i moved my father joined the local department as well. by the time i moved back to where i call home i found out my uncle had become cheif and he told me about the junior program and on my sixtenth birthday i said "sign me up" and my best friend and i joined, it was the best thing i had ever done because i now know what am going to do with the rest of my life, i plan to be a Prof. Firefighter.

i joined becuse i had a few friends in the post and my dad is the fire marshal so i thought it would be fun. and i plan on being a pro.ff one day.
    When the going gets hot, put it out!!!... Never forget our fallen brothers! never forget 9-11-01
    this is my opinion and mine only thanks.

I became an explorer because I've always wanted to be a firefighter. I think the junior firefighter programs are a great way to get some basic training before we are old enough to become active volunteers/paid FFs.
    "A greater love hath no man than this...."

Forum Member

Talking

I never had any family in the fire service, but when i was little my sisters boyfriend was a firefighter ion this dept. He would always let me ride on the truck in the parades. They would buy me toy fire engones and i got hooked. Always wanted to be a firefighter. So when I was old enough to join the junior program i did. One day I hope to be a pro.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "I truly believe that tradition is important to the long-term survival of the fire service."-Lt. Andrew Fredricks, FDNY,9-11-01

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

Why did I join? My dad's in the department. I've been around the department for a LOOOOOOONG time. I feel it's only right that I become 2nd generation, it's almost like it's calling me in. Originally, I just wanted to work on cars...

Forum Member

I joined because my dad is a chief and has been for about 7 years, I think, well a long time, many years. And thats why I joined, when I turned of age (14) to join when I came home from school there was an applcation in my door... come on did I have a choice? Tell the poor guy no? But I wanted to do anyways and I would have called him right then anyways to get one. Its just a great thing to do, good people and everything.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

I joined because my dad had been a volunteer for 14 years so I had been pratically raised in the firehouse, but when we moved to the city my dad could no longer be a volunteer because the fire department here is paid. I then learned about my department's explorer post, and found that to be a way to get the fire service back in my blood. Since I have joined I am loving every minute of it.

My dad says I'm very fortunate because the Dept I've hooked up with is very well funded. Much of the training and equipment we use is top of the line and extremely well done. He's really impressed.
    Last edited by EJIV; 03-15-2002 at 07:24 PM.

When I can remember going to the station with my mom or my dad to see my dad at work or just to visit and I would go in there and play on their old tower (an old Stuphen Tower/Ladder) It was great all the guys would put me up in the cage and would show me how it worked. When I was in readyness his company came to my school to do a demonstration. No big deal, I was just happy to see my dad that day and all the guys he worked with. Then they were gonna call a kid up to man the deck gun. I figured I wouldn't get picked because there were older kids there and I usually never got picked for things. To my surprise they called "Nate Breton" infront of the whole school! (I think it was K-5) I was astounded.
    So there I was sitting ontop of the Eng. at the time wearing one of the helmets (hoping my neck doesnt snap from the weight). God I must have been six years old. That was when I started to want to be a firefighter. Plus I thought it would be great. My dad is a 30 year vet and a capt. and I thought he would work there forever, even when I was there. I always wanted to do different things but always in the back of my head I wanted to do what I grew up with, The station, the tones, the bells, The family of the department. Around 7th-8th grade my dad was doing HEAVY over-time. Thats when I promised I would never be a firefighter. I hated that I never saw my dad and how he was tired all the time. Then a day before my 15th birthday my grandfather passed away. He was very sick for about 2 or 3 months that we know of. And he was in and out of the hospital alot. I never saw him die though because we were coming home early from florida for him. I never got to say goodbye. Then after that the dept. decided to host an explorer post and I was happy, but I had to wait till I was in highschool. My grandfather would probally be proud of me right now, but I'm sure he would discourage me from doing what he did for all his life, like my father does to me now. Its in the blood. My dads a 3rd generation FF and I would be a 4th. Im taking in all I can and trying to do good in all my studies so I can stay in the post. This is what I want to do. Not only to help people, and do something exciting, but for my grandfather. I loved him more than anything. And I didnt get to say goodbye. I dunno I guess I feel comfortable in the firehouse and I will somehow be more connected with him if I become a FF.
    Nate Breton, Vice President
    Post 333 Salem Fire Rescue

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the ability to work with fear."

Thumbs up what made me join????

I joined because firefighting has been in my family sense my grandfather was alive. He was on Boston fire department for 25 years and retired from the cambridge street station(ladder24-engine4-district3). after that my father joined the north providence volunteer fire dept in rhode island.He was also part of the rhode island national guard. he realized that two groups was too much and was taking up time. He quit the volunteer department and stayed with the national guard. My 2nd cousin is the head-cheif of the boston fire dept he has been with them ever since he was a (probie). Im 14 years old now and ive been around the fire department all my life. my father and i joined this station towns over because he is leading me into my grandfathers footsteps and also his own. I hope some day to be an arson investigator for the city of providence.I currently stand as rank of JR.PVT.

Quote:I volunteer because your life depends on it!!
    Last edited by mishnock34; 03-21-2002 at 10:44 PM.
    JR.PVT
    NICK FAMULARI
    Lake Mishnock Fire Dept.
    West Greenwich Rhode island

Default When I was alittle Dan

When I was alittle kid my father was Captain and Lieut. of Bloomingdale FD he was head of the Teli-squird (664) he used to take me to the firehouse and clean the truck and did some engine work. Also took me to special events and truck rides! My summer communty in Penna needs more members so I got the Chief durning the time (now my old man is Chief) got the ball rolling on for Cadets, I was pretty much the only Cadet, we had a few others that came and left. I know more then some of the guys, *Laught* I joined The junior's in Ringwood VFC #1, but the guys wheren't that all nice, so there left my Dept. in NJ where I live. If anyone who is in charge of Juniors, Expoloers, etc. I understand that gettin your chops busted, But make sure that the guys don't over do it. Or you will have kids leave, and parents made. But still have fun!
    Dan
    PCFA Class of 2001
    NJ State Certified Firefighter 1
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dan M. B.
    NJ State Firefighter 1
    Passaic County Fire Acadamy
    Class of 2001
    "Let's Not Forget Our Fallen Heroes"
    9-11-01

Thumbs up

my reasons for joining
    >growing up, i was constantly around the fire dept.
    >my dad is a 20+ year member
    >my grandfather is a 50+ year member
    > my uncle was a 15+ till he died
    > my great grandfather was a firefighter
    > i love everything that has to do with firefighting, thats what iwant to do with my life, theres no other choice, im the Junior Captain of my juniors(thats the highest pos. there is oro jrs) and i have a good crew
    IACOJ

District Chief

I joined because my dad was a forest ranger and a volunteer firefighter. Been doing it since I was 13 and love it. There was some time period that I was frustrated but I hung in there.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Cool

want to be a paid ff so i thought to myself why not become a volly? made sense and was prob. the smartest thing ive ever done so far with my life.
    Rescue Squad 12 to FireAlarm!!.....Squad 12?.....Give Me The 3 Alram!!!!!!

I joined because ever since I was little, I would drive by the station and look at the engines, and I couldn't wait till I could get on one and ride. Alot of little kids have a fascination with lights and sirens, and fire, I guess I just never got over it. When I got older, that fascination turned into a desire to help people, so here I am.

Megan

Thread Information