Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question weight training and simulating on the job activities

i am training for my local department's physical agility test right now. while i know about doing strength training like pushups, pullups, etc., i am curious as to how well these exercises transfer to the real thing such as throwing hose, doing the hand over hand pulling of a rope with a tool tied to it, etc.

are there specific exercises that should be added to a basic routine in order to make these things easier (for example, throwing a 3" hose can be awkward if you don't have the motion down) or do you gain the ability to do these things through the basic strength training exercises that everyone else does?

hope my question makes sense...

Really, building up your general upper body strength without worrying about specific muscle groups or special motions will give you the greatest benefit. Besides that, will you have to drag a dummy? If so, make sure to get behind it, lean its upper body up, reach with your arms through under the dummys arm pits to the dummys chest and interlock your hands. Then lift the dummy, using your leg muscles and drag the dummy while you walk backwards. I've been involved in our dept.'s physical agility testing and found that the higher the dummy is lifted (only dragging the legs/feet, dummy's butt off the ground) the smoother and quicker it is done.
    Another point: is the test timed? Is there a time limit? If so, you definitely want to add endurance training to your preparation exercises. For example, you could run, at a speed where you have to breath fairly hard, but are still able to talk. This will build up your speed, endurance, and lower body strength.
    Generally, don't get too stressed out over the physical agility test. It often is a way to sort out the out-of-shape applicants, not to find the best performer. If you are in decent shape you'll probably be alright. Do however think about the interview. What are your strengths, your reason to apply, things you expect, etc, etc.

Hope this helps! Regards,

Mike

Forum Member

hi mike,

thanks so much for responding. yes, there is a dummy drag, which is a surprisingly light 90 lbs. the dept. i am applying for does not use the cpat, but have their own test. it is timed, but you get to rest in betweeen. i guess at this point i am trying to feel as confident as i can going into it, so wondered about specific training. however, your answer covers my question completely so i will stop wondering.

took my oral yesterday, so i know that i am being presumptuous in assuming i did well enough to get to the next step, but i'd rather be over-prepared than under prepared.

thanks again!

Forum Member

90# dummy, thats no challenge. Try carrying 45# hose load on your shoulder up 6 flights of stairs, pullup a 45# donut roll, drive a 165# beam 5' w/ a 9# hammer, walk 140' and drag a 1.75" charged line 75' and finish by dragging a 175# dummy 100'. All this in 3 and half minutes in full turnouts and breathing off the SCBA. Also a 50 y/o.

Forum Member

amazing, isn't it, how different departments have different tests. i'm glad i'm not taking your test, at least right now...

to be honest, while i think i have a healthy fear of the physical, my fitness program is more based on not wanting to be out of shape for academy. yes, this is all presumptuous - i may not even get that far - but i want to be prepared.

the cpat has a 180lb dummy...how this dept. came up with 90lb, i will never know - i don't think i've ever met an adult that weighs 90lb.

Here is the truth, like it or not, why your dept has a 90 lb dummy?
    To lower standards so those people who wouldnt be able to meet the normal physical standards can get on. Our last physical exam a guy with a broken arm almost passed the whole thing, that is sad, it really ****es me off, but oh well.

Thread Information