Thread: Truck equipment

Forum Member

Default Truck equipment

Well hello forum. Been awhile, and thought I would just ask some other people out there for some help and comments. Besides the standard 1901 requirements for aerial ladder equipment. Does anyone else have some good ideas.

We are setting our truck up with more appliances than required. A RIT bag, PPV, additional mounted equipment in the bucket. But think I am missing something big, and just having a brain F$#rt.

So all ideas welcomed.

Lt. Mathena

These might jog your memory: salvage gear, chimney fire equipment, roof ladder, generator, tool box, pike poles, plaster hooks, smoke ejecters(as well as ppv), medical gear(min equiped bag @least), lights, irons....

since i dont know how your dept outfits its ladder and what it responds to beyond fire calls i hope this list can help ya think of what ur missing, the only other thing is that some depts put their jaws on the ladder to use it to block traffic. good luck
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

If your dept. doesn't have a rescue you could outfit it with medium rescue equipment; jaws, ropes and hardware, air jacks, air bags and use it for rescue as well as the basic ladder company ops.

Forum Member

Our department has a heavy and medium rescue, which carries all our confined space, high angle, extrication gear.

I have placed on the truck the minimum for 1901. 2. 150 life lines, 2 utility lines, two sets of irons, salvage covers, medical bag, lights, sledge hammers, scoop shovel, appliances, crow bar, chain saw, K-12, stokes basket, tool kit, lock out kit, sprikler head salavage units, bolt cutters, PPV (on order), ladder belts (of course) additional hose, hise rise packs. I mounted in the bucket one set of irons, and a pike pole on the aerial to be reached from the bucket.

Our department does it all from structural, industrial, and commercial aircraft up to 767, and sometime s747's. Hope this helps with more info on our dept.

And does anyone have a CAFS on their aerials and how well does it work? Was it an add on after purchase. I think that this might be a good thing if the district we run in, looses its engine and runs first line (Hopefully not, that is not the purpose of a truck)

Thanks

Forum Member

We have a small, extendable ladder in the bucket. It is only about two feet high (compressed) and extends to ten feet. It is great for getting onto roofs w/ parapit walls and for commercial structures where you have multiple roof levels.

Also, we have a halligan with a chain welded to the end of it so that you can vent windows which may be out of reach (without leaning trying to swing a ten foot hook).

They both work great.

Stay Safe

Forum Member

Arrow

if you have the space, a cascade system could never hurt.

Originally posted by HF&R_H28
    if you have the space, a cascade system could never hurt.

When the new tower ladder was being spec'ed out they wanted to put a cascade system on it, but why would you want to fill air bottles with a front line truck.
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Forum Member

the reason for a cascade system on a front line truck is most likely you are going to use a good bit of air off of that truck. its best to have the system there with you on your front truck, than have to cary the bottles back to the building, send somebody to get a separate truck with it on it, or roll a separate truck with it on it.

MembersZone Subscriber

You can never go wrong with power saws. I know you said K-12 saw already. But think about atleast 2 of them. One set up for forcible entry and one for roof ventilation. Also, if you have alot of SFD or MFD in your Truck Co.'s 1st due, have more than one chain saw. Atleast one with an angle bar and one with a straight bar. Depending on how you operate on the fire ground may also easily justify another (3rd set) of irons. Also consider a Hydra-tool or similar forcible entry tool. Just my thoughts.
    Stay low and move it in.

Be safe.

Larry

I really like the ideaa of the compressed ladder in the bucket, and I too will look into this!

Some items that are a must have;

At least 4 steel 6 foot roof hooks (at least one in bucket)

2 4 foot steel roof hooks

Several PW's, at least one in/on bucket

Rabbit Tool

Handlight for each seat

Thermal Imaging Camera - not just for engines anymore!

Plenty of power saws, all types
    FTM - PTB

Thread Information