Thread: They Won!

Default They Won!

As of 9:00 pm Monday 2/25, Baldwinsville, NY firefighters have their independence and are back on the job.

I am very happy to hear that eveyone is back on the job!!! I've been following this story a little, and thought it was a sad situation. I hate to say that anyone "won", I felt the whole situation was just bad. I hate to say this but it seemed to me that the f.d. tried to strong arm the local government into getting what they wanted. But at the same time, I think that the f.d. was really trying to do what is best in the long run. I've seen a similar incident happen with trustees around here, and the f.f.'s walked out, but it took a long time to regain the trust of the public who felt abondoned. I am curious to know a little about their new corporation, and the reasons why this came about? Was it a money issue, or simply a control issue? Not that either of those are "bad" reasons, I'm just curious. It seems as though I have only half the story....

Sounds like an interesting story. Where can I read about what happened?

MembersZone Subscriber

go to signal99.com under firefighters discussion.

Default Congrats BVille

Congrats Bville members!!! I wouldve been there for you guys Sunday night but due to timing conflict, couldnt happen. Good luck to you guys and your future.
    -Stay Safe

MembersZone Subscriber

Congrats on the small victory and good luck on the road to complete independence!

Post Temporary solution....

Read about this new updated story here...

Well this is just my opinion, but I don't see this as "winning", this is just a temporary solution to the problem. Good job b'ville on at least getting the local government to cause a vote. Now just something to think about...What if the residents turn down the b'ville firefighters on this vote??? hmmm something to think about.

MembersZone Subscriber

I don't think that will happen the residents are behind the firefighters.They were asking why the mayor wouldn't let them go independant.

Thumbs down B-ville Walkout

While I may sympathize with them for their goals, I can't in any way agree with their tactics.

What kind of firefighters walk out and leave their community unprotected?

Maybe they need to reconsider why they joined in the first place. Just because the village officials were a tough nut to crack doesn't mean they have to abandon their post.

What happens at the next problem they encounter-another walkout?

District Chief

Thumbs down B-ville Walkout...WINNERS are LOSERS!

I am with DRA-252. They lose and so do all of us in the service. Now instead of looking at us as heros and respecting us, community leaders across the nation will be wondering. They will wonder if we have a tantrum will we walk out too and leave them unprotected. I have never been one to support strikes and walkouts over negotiations. I am in favor of the IAFF and I know this has nothing to do with a career department and this makes it even worse.

Why the H**L (oops had to go back and edit that) did they join the fire department in the first place? I volunteer because I enjoy giving back to my community. As a former volunteer chief I have had disagreements with City Leaders, but NEVER considered suggested to them that I would walk out or that my fire department would not respond if we did not get our way.

This was a childish, immature, irresponsible action that was poorly thought out. I wonder how the Chief of the Department would have paid that law suit that someone most certainly would have filed if....God forbid....someone had died in the time they were standing in the corner and holding their breath to get their way? Come on folks! These guys may have won...but they are losers. And if I lived in that community, I would never support the fire department in anything. It is obvious they do not care enough about their constituants to stay and fight.

What is the real story...??????????? There has to be some personal issues here not surfacing!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Thread Information