MembersZone Subscriber

Default scba training question

We currently teach two modules for scba accreditation (scba + search & rescue). This makes for a very long course for everyone, students and instructors alike. I am wondering whether we would be better splitting it up, so that the students do the scba module, which would only allow them to use scba outside structures, then they would have to accrue a certain number of hours of scba usage at jobs like car fires, dumpmasters etc, before being allowed to go on to do the search and rescue module and getting the full accreditation and then being permitted to do interior attack/rescue.

I can see several advantages in doing it this way, but can anyone see any disadvantages, or has any other comments on the above?
    Last edited by stillPSFB; 02-26-2002 at 01:15 AM.
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

IACOJ Agitator

Disadvantages? Well for starters, what if your "car fires, dumpmasters etc" (or whatever else you want to include) don't happen to often? Then it could be a long time before someone gets qualified for interior use.

Maybe you can answer a few questions that would help draw a better conclusion:

1) How many calls a year do you do?

2) How many of calls warrant the outside use of SCBA?

3) How many of calls involve interior operations?

4) How long are each of the modules? Do you teach both at once right now and are just thinking about splitting them into two completely seperate modules?

MembersZone Subscriber

Adze,

Thanks for replying,

1) We run 600+ calls a year, we don't do ems etc, and approx 85% of calls are actual fires.

2)Approx 10% of calls are car fires (we are the favorite area for dumping stolen cars). Calls that should warrant outside use of scba would be around 90-100 calls a year.

3) Calls that require interior use of scba would be around 40 per year.

4) The scba module takes around 5-6 sessions, the search and rescue module takes around 24-30 sessions. We currently teach them all back to back with some overlap, which makes for a very long course.

The advantages that I see in splitting them up are
    a) It would give trainees a chance for more 'real world' experience of manouvering hoses, working as a team etc before going on to doing the interior training
    b) It would break the course up into two shorter courses, which gives everyone a break in the middle
    c) We would probably see a few more people turning out for the 02:00 car fires if they knew that they had to get their scba time up before going on to the interior course
    d) It would improve safety as it would lead to much higher scba usage at car and dumpster fires etc
    e) it would give us a greater pool of scba operators to choose from when needed for exterior operations
    Busy polishing the stacked tips on the deckgun of I.A.C.O.J. Engine#1

...and before you ask - YES I have done a Bloody SEARCH!

Thread Information