Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default signing to the FIRE ACT

Hey you all has anyone tried to signing in at the FEMA site?
    I have being trying to get in as a new user but i haven't had any luck.
    I'm going to try again Monday.

The only problem I had was when I tried putting in a different address for shipping and home. It kept telling me that my shipping address was blank. So I finally just blanked it out and put my shipping address as my home address.

Cool

I am having the same problem trying to get a new user ID.
    I called the help number and they told me that the server
    is being overloaded and that they are trying to fix the problem.
    I was told to try at a later time. Hope this answers your question.
    So far, I have still not logged in.

I tried at 10:30 am EST today and couldn't get in. I called the help line, a woman took my name and number and said someone would call me back.

It is now 5:30 pm and I still haven't heard back. I assumed it was overload. Didn't they think this was going to happen and just tell us when we call instead of making vague promises?
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Talking worked for me

I logged in as a new user around 2:30 or 3 pm and had no problems what so ever. Guess they worked those "bugs" out.

The sight must still be over loaded, I still can,t get in. I will try late tonight or tommorrow or both if I have to. Sounds like a standard govt. mess up to me
    "Don't be afraid to ask stupid questions, they are a lot easier to handle than dumb mistakes"
    Author Unknown

Thumbs down

Haven't had any luck today getting in I wonder what the problem is .I bet those guys at FEMA aren't losing any sleep over this. Can you imagine a the governments excuse in a few days. I bet they won't extend the deadline either!

Unhappy

I logged in yesterday as soon as I returned from a training session about the subject - and got in immediately. I registered, and (luckily) printed off the application so I could study it off-line. I've tried to get on ALL DAY today to actually start working on it - no luck!! After attending a couple classes on the subject ,I thought our chances were about as good as winning the lottery - now I'm wondering if filling out the application is going to be the same odds!!
    God is our Fire Chief;
    Jesus is our Incident Commander.

Thumbs down Can't Register, tried all day

I have been trying to register since this morning keep getting a server error. I hope this is not an indcation of how the rest of this online deal is going to go.
    CM

Administrator

Default E-Mail Us Your Experiences

Hello

We are very interested in your stories about experiences with the online grant application period.

If you are the approved member of your department to handle the application, please E-MAIL us your name, rank, department name and contact e-mail and phone number (work and home if possible).

We will be doing a story or two next week on the process.

Please do not post your personal information here, just e-mail it to us at "news@firehouse.com"

Thanks
    WebTeam

I attend the FEMA grant writing grant class in Lafayette, Indiana about 10 days ago and the instructor, the FEMA Region 5 Director, made the statement that FEMA was working on this online application process for use LAST year, but ran out of time. They have now had an ADDITIONAL year of development time, and I guess we now know if it will work or not. I have been trying to register online for 2 days, using 3 different computers and 3 different ISP's without any success. I have tried at 8:00 in the morning, noon, in the evening, at midnight, and at 3:00 in the morning, and STILL can not even get a password, let alone log in and see the questions. If I can not even SEE the questions, I can not really start answering them. I have called the help line 3 times, and the ONLY thing they say is "We are having a little trouble, try again later.". I have now LOST 2 day time. If the online process isn't going to work for EVERYONE in the foreseeable future, maybe someone can at least publish the questions somewhere? I don't need to actually type in the answers until later, but I really DON'T want to wait until the last week. If there is this much trouble just getting a password, I don't want to wait until the last minute to apply.

Bob Wright
    New Market Community Volunteer Fire Department
    New Market, Indiana
    Non Volunteering Volunteer (Retired)

Same story here. We have been trying to access the new user registration since 08:00 on Friday, calls to the help desk were no help. I've been trying all Sat. until around 22:00, then again this morning since around 04:00 without any luck. It would appear that the server is actually down instead of just overloaded, unless it can't handle even light traffic......
    I've tried everything I can think of, used IE & Netscape, tried different pc's, different ISP's, nothing has worked yet, and now we've lost two days off the application process. I guess that we will eventually get registered, only a question of when.....

Same story here. We have been trying to access the new user registration since 08:00 on Friday, calls to the help desk were no help. I've been trying all Sat. until around 22:00, then again this morning since around 04:00 without any luck. It would appear that the server is actually down instead of just overloaded, unless it can't handle even light traffic......
    I've tried everything I can think of, used IE & Netscape, tried different pc's, different ISP's, nothing has worked yet, and now we've lost two days off the application process. I guess that we will eventually get registered, only a question of when.....

Thumbs down

What really scares me what "IF" we try and try and nothing gets fixed.After last year,FEMA should have been better prepared.After all that's what they are telling us to be ready.They have had a year since last April to work on the Internet process.
    Just Remember The only Real Dumb Question is the ONE not asked.

Lets see, 32,000 known fire depts x 3 or 4 times that we have all tried to log on. That should fry anyones server.

Be Safe Out there.

Angry signing in

Well guess what you all,I got into the site as a new user and filled in the information and when I sumitted the information ,the server was domn.I have since tried about 6 times no luck. .

Thumbs up logging In

I finally got in on Mon about 3 PM, and have had no trouble returning since Mon
    Pres41 (Pete)
    pres41@aol.com

Malcolm
    Firehouse.com Guest

Each of the screens does have a time out feature. Make sure you save and continue often. If you don't know the answer to a question go on to the end of the screen and save while you find it. I too have lost information, but with a little practice, you get used to it. Do not try to do your narrative online. It will take too long. Do it in a word processor and then cut and paste. I have been on many times and am working on my narrative now. If you are having problems use the help desk phone number or email. I have found the email to work better for me since I am in and out at odd times of the day. I am using Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.50. You might check and see if you need to update your internet browser. If you continue to have trouble, see if you can use a PC at school or at your library. Or even get the local PC guru to give you a hand. The system does work, you just have to learn its ways.
    Good Luck to All,
    Malcolm Cunningham - Hardin Fire Protection District.

Smile

Well it finally happened, our application is complete and submitted. I guess by our application number that there are only about 600 others that have had the same success.

Now comes the long wait.

Good luck to everyone applying.
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

Smile

Hey folks,I finally got into the site through the firehouse.com grant site.
    Printed off the application.We attended the FEMA session at Lexington KY yesterday(they didn't furnish coffee).Boy was this an enlightening session.All the person told us in hour and 1/2 was read the federal register after every question asked.He sure didn't do his homework.If he had read this forumn he would have known things wasn't going right.I sure wish I had stayed home for what it was worth.He wasn't even aware of the problems getting to the site to signon till someone mention it to him before the presentation started.
    I agree with the brother in WK our chances are about as good as winning the lottery but we are going to give it our best shot.

Thread Information