MembersZone Subscriber

Question Dual Band UHF/VHF Portables?

My department is looking into getting portables that operate on both UHF and VHF bands.

We have our own UHF frequency and a neighboring department that we frequently provide mutual aid for operates on VHF.

I've looked on the internet but most of the radios that appear to work on both bands are not available in the US. Is there some FCC reg. that prohibits both bands in the same radio?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

You won't be able to find a dual band radio. The internal workings of the radio are different for each band. We have the same problem with a neighboring dept in NY state. they operate on VHF Low band, we are on VHF high band. We had to get different radios to put into our trucks to talk with them, so we have 2 radios in each truck..our own and the NY state one.
    HELL YEAH!!!
    The comments made by me are just that. Not of the Fire dept or Ambulance squad I am on.

MembersZone Subscriber

You may want to check into in vehicle cross band repeaters, one of the local ambulance companies has this system. It allows them to use their UHF portables to talk on the VHF fire radio.

Well, I know your pain. In our ambulances, we have a UHF radio as our primary Med radio. We also have a low-band radio for two other counties that we run in. In addition to that is the VHF radio for the HEAR system and fire frequencies. So 3 total. If you want a UHF/VHF portable, some Ham radios can be modified to fit our ranges. Yaesu makes a little one that is field-programmable, too.

MembersZone Subscriber

EMT135864,
    You may want to consider that very carefully, my understanding is that it is illegal to use radios that are not FCC approved for the band. The ham radios you are talking about are not approved for the fire band. Just something to consider before making a decision.

I have my own portable UHF radio, and that is all I use. I am not condoning nor suggesting that anyone violate any federal code. I am merely stating what is out there and what I have seen.

MembersZone Subscriber

Thatís good to hear, I hope you did not take offence, I was just trying to inform.

Smile

For the dual band, Vertex model FTH 2070 32 channel. The radio is large, but it does work on both bands. I do have a Ham radio that is capable of both bands but I don't condone it being used for this purpose. Go to www.yaesu.com. This is the site for the Vertex radio. E-mail me if you have any other questions.

Forum Member

Just to let you know. there is a duel band portable out there you can get and is legal in the U.S. It is made by vertex cant remember the name but out dept has some.

MembersZone Subscriber

After some looking I found the radio that Fireguy2000 is talking about, it is the Vertex FTH- 2070 and it is FCC approved. Here is a link:
    http://www.yaesu.com./LM/fth2070.html

you can also find some dual band uhf vhf portable radios here: www.holzberg.com

( the dual band radio is on www.holzberg.com/products/gecuv800.html )

Forum Member

These are relatively new on the market and are probably overkill for what you want, but there's not much else available right now. Both are built by highly reputable companies:

http://www.thalesliberty.com/media/d...iberty-web.pdf

http://www.rfcomm.harris.com/talkaso...Prod_Guide.pdf

Andy

Forum Member

Wow. This one was pulled from the archives...... It's over 7 years old!

Me thinks dbengali is looking for some advertising!!
    The comments made by me are my opinions only. They DO NOT reflect the opinions of my employer(s). If you have an issue with something I may say, take it up with me, either by posting in the forums, emailing me through my profile, or PMing me through my profile.
    We are all adults so there is no need to act like a child........
    IACOJ

Forum Member

I read about the Thales Liberty on Slashdot the other day. Checked out the website, there are some interesting functions.

I was especially intrigued when I read between the lines. It appears that with a special cable, you can rig a pair of them to act as a local bridge or a repeater. That would be kind of handy. There are parts of our county where we fight wildland that do not have repeater sites.

As a Ham, I was most intrigued to see a Quad-Band Public Safety radio though. Neat technology. Boise Fire, just down the road, is supposed to be part of a DHS test of these radios this fall.

There was a place on their website to sign up to get a loaner radio to try out for a few weeks. Talked to my Chief and we signed up. We are small enough they probably won't be interested right away, but I would love to get my hands on a couple.

Forum Member

another option is the motobridge from motorola...it works quite well...

Forum Member

Default Motorola APX Series

Although it's a few years off for UHF/VHF the Motorola model it will be a great solution. The radio is the same size and easier to handle than the Motorola XTS2500. I can't wait to get me 800/VHF model in a few months!!

Forum Member

You DO realize that Motorala holds controlling interest in Vertex who ALREADY has the Uhf/Vhf dual capable radios don't you?

Forum Member

Default Harris multi band portable

Harris Professional Communications (microwave guys) bought the old GE/macom etc and has now developed a multi band portable. XG-100, UHF/VHF/800/900 mhz. P25, EDAC's, digital, analog etc. Really, Really nice!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rescue101 View Post
    You DO realize that Motorala holds controlling interest in Vertex who ALREADY has the Uhf/Vhf dual capable radios don't you?
    The radios currently available from Vertex are dual band RECEIVE ONLY. They do not offer dual band transmit ability. Unless you are referring to the ability of some mobile models to use one control head to control multiple radios.

The only options currently available for true dual/multi band radios are from Harris (Portable), Motorola (Portable and Mobile), Thales (Portable and coming soon a mobile), and Datron (Portable).

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MAFF116 View Post
    The radios currently available from Vertex are dual band RECEIVE ONLY. They do not offer dual band transmit ability. Unless you are referring to the ability of some mobile models to use one control head to control multiple radios.

The only options currently available for true dual/multi band radios are from Harris (Portable), Motorola (Portable and Mobile), Thales (Portable and coming soon a mobile), and Datron (Portable).
    I recently purchased a dual-band FCC type-accepted handheld radio for $107, + $13.50 for insured Priority Mail. It's the model KG-UVD1P. It works fine. They now have a KG-UVD2P which is exactly the same, except for a flashier case that I don't like as much as the old one. Does not do any paging tones, but has both analog CTCSS (a/k/a PL) and Digital PL (a/k/a DPL). I am aware of another dual band FCC type-accepted handheld -- the Quansheng TG-UV. And there is a company named Holzberg Communications which imports the Quansheng radio with its own private label and marks up the price around 400%.
    Last edited by webteam; 09-14-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: url's not allowed in posts.

Forum Member

BULL. Take your spam and chinese knockoff junk somewhere else. The last a-hole that tried to advertise this was shown the door within minutes. You will not have any better luck disguising your spam as a product review. Go away. Duly reported as well.
    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

MembersZone Subscriber

Reported....

Back In Black

LOL... its not obvious or anything.

I like my spam fried and on an english muffin, thanks.
    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by nmfire View Post
    BULL. Take your spam and chinese knockoff junk somewhere else. The last a-hole that tried to advertise this was shown the door within minutes. You will not have any better luck disguising your spam as a product review. Go away. Duly reported as well.
    For the record, I have been using both the Puxing PX-777 and Wouxun dual band for a considerable amount of time now. Both radios have by far exceeded my expectations, and both are FCC part 90 type accepted. I think these radios are great for a fire department with very limited funds. I can equip two 6 seat engines with a radio for every seat for less money than one Motorola public safety radio. I would much rather my guys have these radios versus none, which would be the case if these weren't available. Do I think they are as rugged and durable as Motorolas and Kenwoods? NO, but they function every bit as well, and sometimes better. If you don't have any personal experience with these radios, I can understand how you would think they are complete garbage, as I was very skeptical when first introduced to them.

And yes, I understand the sentiments towards Chinese companies that knockoff other products. But I also put my guys' safety above that, and prefer for them to have some form of communication to the outside. Also, I'm not so sure I would even consider the Wouxun dual band to be a knockoff..... please show me what radio they copied from?

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by MAFF116 View Post

You would be correct. they discontinued the model I was thinking of

Thread Information