Thread: first calls

Smile first calls

I'm rather new to the fire/EMS field. Actually, I've only been involved for a little over a month. But since last Friday, I feel a little more a part of the family. I'm part of a student-run volunteer rescue squad at SUNY Cortland in upstate NY. Usually we don't get much action when I'm on shift, but on Friday we had 2 calls. For the seasoned veterans here, a simple finger injury and an ETOH may seem commonplace, but I don't think I'll forget these since they were my first calls.
    If anyone has some good advice on how to handle the early calls in one's career, I'd sure appreciate it.

If there is someone there with a lot of experience pay close attention to the questions they ask and they way they talk to and treat the patients. You will learn alot more out in the field than you will from a textbook.

widbey island wa from cobb island maryland

remeber the first one. iv been on now for a while and i can rember my first ems and fire call. a trouble breathing and tree down. iv learned alot from alot of people. don't go into a situation with a Holyer then thou attitude. listen to what is said and think about what you want to say. iv been doing this for about 3 years now. i don't know it all, nor do i claim to, so even i stop and listen to the "tricks of the trade". what will get you is when the newer guys come on the department and start looking up to you, and asking you questions. its, intresting. hehe.

me

Thread Information