MembersZone Subscriber

Default Dual Band UHF/VHF Portables?

I posted this in the Dispatcher forum but didn't get much of a response and this will be part of our FIRE Act grant application if I can find them:

My department is looking into getting portables that operate on both UHF and VHF bands.

We have our own UHF frequency and a neighboring department that we frequently provide mutual aid for operates on VHF.

I've looked on the internet but most of the radios that appear to work on both bands are not available in the US or are for amateur radio. Is there some FCC reg. that prohibits both bands in the same commercial radio?

Thanks for any help you can provide.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

I think Icom, Yasau and King may have dual bands. I worked for an EMS unit that had dual band mobiles. They were great. hope this helps.
    Larry

Originally posted by larry cook
    I think Icom, Yasau and King may have dual bands.
    Bendix King makes the best hand held for public service use of the three above. I, however, was not aware that king made a dual band.

ICOM makes the second best radio and is easy to use. The knobs are too small for use with gloves and that is a consideration to remember. The Vertex Yaseau radio is, IMHO, next to worthless for public service.

It's too small and not at all capable of surviving in the field. THe knobs and control buttons are hard to use without gloves, forget it if you are wearing gloves.

You were asking about HT's weren't you.

Bendix King does make a very fine mobile dual band that can be programmed for public safety U/VHF without difficulty. For that matter I believe Motorola makes one also. They just don't advertise it.

I don't know where to find any ICOMS at the moment, You might try TRA communications in Warren MI if you can't find any in Toledo. If you find a King let me know

Stay safe

Tell Tony that Kevin said HI

Kevin
    Last edited by Safety1; 03-05-2002 at 05:35 PM.

WTFD10,

Kenwood makes a dual band radio for police/Fire. Model numbers tk290 and tk390. The higher numbered unit has a keypad (not sure what for) both can handle a 100 and something chanels.

follow the link to Kenwoods public service radio area

Kenwood Public Service Web Site

We use the Kenwood 380's with some problems but compared to Motorola's high prices we can replace a radio or two every year and still come out ahead budget wise.....Good Luck

MembersZone Subscriber

Cool Thanks for your help Brothers

apatrol: I sent out an e-mail to Kenwood. Hopefully you're right, we use Kenwoods now and are pretty happy with them.

Safety1: I'll tell Capt. Coke you said hey I found the Vertex FTH-2070 today. They claim they're the only dual-band portable available. I've never heard of Vertex. What's the deal with those? Poor reception or what? Anybody else had any experience with them?
    Last edited by WTFD10; 03-06-2002 at 12:36 AM.
    FTM-PTB-DTRT

Thumbs up

Yeasu (sp)also has one for emergency services that worked well for the two years I used it.
    The opinions expressed here are that of my own and in no way reflect the opinions of my administration or department.

Default Re: Thanks for your help Brothers

Originally posted by WTFD10
    I found the Vertex FTH-2070 today. They claim they're the only dual-band portable available. I've never heard of Vertex. What's the deal with those? Poor reception or what? Anybody else had any experience with them? [/B]
    The major problems with vertex as I saw them

1) Way to small (at least the ones currently available) in public service use they get lost way too easily (been there done that )
    2) The scan rate is way too slow and priority does not always work properly
    3) The buttons, display and controls are way too small for accurate low light, gloved hand use.

These are my own opinions based on use of a vertex model that I have forgotten the number of. On the plus side I have had several mobiles and they are great for the use I put them through.

I forgot about Kenwood. I believe this will be a good match for you. If your local dealer can't supply you let me know. There are a couple of them in the Motown area that can help

Stay Safe

Kevin

Vertex is another name for Yaseau
    (Kinda like would you like that truck with a Chevy grille, or a GMC grille?)

Forum Member

Vertex VX 900 is a new radio made SPECIFICALLY for public service.It is not dual band,however they make one that is.Several depts. around us that were hardcore Motorola fans have switched to this radio and like it better than the gp300-350.You can check it out at RFWiz.com,may not be able to buy it there unless you're East coast,but the site has good pictures and product description.T.C.

MembersZone Subscriber

WTFD,

I'm not sure how many portables you may need to change over, but you may want to look into a cross band repeater to see if it would be cheaper. You may even be able to get vehicle mounted ones if your repeater is to far away. Just thought I'd add another option.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept/agency I work for, deal with, or am a member of.

126asstchief
    no longer with 126, but can't find where to edit this thing above

Our Dept. has been using Vertex radios for about three years now. We have had no problems with the radios other then the small buttons as Safety1 stated.

We use the VX-510U portables. We also have Vertex mobiles, but I don't know the model.

The portables have a metal housing and take ALOT of abuse.

As far as dual band radios, the Yaesu/Vertex FTH-2070 is the only portable that we found. They start at around $1000 up to $1600 depending on the dealer you can find. They do work nice.

As a side note, I personaly own an FTH-2070 w/ a charger and a speaker mic that I no longer use. The companies I used it for are now on our band. It is set up for 148-175mhz/ 450-480 mhz. It is a few years old, but still works perfect. It was tested last year when I got the brand new battery and mic. The mic still was never used. I am willing to part w/ it for near half the price of new if you(or anyone else ) would like to purchase it. Drop me an email.
    Just my 2 cents....3 before taxes

Fir Na Tine

Thread Information