Question Time lines for kitchen fire to total involvement

In a duplex of about 1000 sq. ft., 500 up and down. When you pull up and there is only smoke, no break through or sign of backdraft. You open the front door briefly and see only fire through heavy smoke in the kitchen area. ( about 7 ft away, with two doorways, one into the living area) How many minutes would you estimate to go from a small area fire to total involvement of both floors. Fire load would probably be rated at med high to high. Not looking for anything professional just estimate would be great.

Thanks

Roger Frost

roger.frost@sympatico.ca

EuroFirefighter.com

Default If the GASES are transporting....

into all rooms then it is possible that full involvement could occur in as little as 5-15 seconds from the point you opened the door to look in........however, the igniting gases may or may not not lead to a sustained fire throughout. In this instance, for a sustained fire, it could take longer - from 15 seconds to 15 or more minutes, depending on the leakage of air into the room, the location of the fire (corner?), and the availabilty of fuel near to the fire's source.

Many variables involved here.........

Question Fire Travel - Flashover?

What are your thoughts on the burnt and charred ceiling paint with only smoke damage on the upper ceiling level. Minor smoke damage throughout but no fire damage at furniture levels on the second floor.

Roger Frost

roger.frost@sympatico.ca

John_Ford
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default flashover

Rog, A lot depends on how long the fire ws going before you got in. I read your other post and would agree with your overall op. I real good tape is Countdown to Disaster from the NFPA. It shows a typical room with a waste basket fire that extends up the drapes and then across the ceiling. Time to total flashover was less then 5 minutes and really violent. This was with typical household furnishings. I think with the quick response time you had and the fast attack made a great difference. I could see where the delay of a few minutes would have resulted in the place lighting off when you opened the front door. Remember the fire is not going to wait for you. Luck.

Thread Information