Question How close do you guys get to your fellow firefighters?

I was just wondering how close everyone gets to their fellow firefighters. I hang out with the guys from my company all of the time and I've developed very close friendships with a lot of them. So what about you guys?
    Big Dawg

"Find 'em HOT, leave 'em WET!"

"VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS are NEVER off duty!!!"

I would have to say that yes i do "bond" with the Fire Fighters at my Department, they show me how things work if i get confused and we like to joke around as buddy's. for the most part everyone gets along with every on else.

I have gotten very close to all of the fire fighters... partially because i have grown up there but I think we all get along pretty well and like to joke around together as friends, dont date one of their daughters though. It gets a little freaky after that but. We all enjoy each others company.
    Nate Breton, Vice President
    Post 333 Salem Fire Rescue

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the ability to work with fear."

Forum Member

You may not want to get close to them, but ya do. Ya can't help it. I didn't exert energy to get to know anybody but it happens. Mostly sitting there in the front of the truck riding back from the fire or something when ya have some downtime. I am pretty close to everybody, and spend a lot of time with some people. I too grew up on the trucks so that might have helped but I think I have pretty much bought my own way in. At this point I would trust almost all of them with my life, except 1, and you don't want to go there. Everybody gets along, we all have fun with each other, and its all fun and games. But you must learn your limits.
    Firefighter/EMT Mitch Cowen
    Hose Co. 1 1st Lieutenant
    Randolph Fire Co. Inc

I dont really have any close bond with any of them. Mainly because i am a new memeber. I am workin on a few but idk, i find it hard somtimes to talk with them, whether they are busy or i dont really have anything to talk about(cause i havnt been around long enough to know of the stuff that has happend). And with what mitch_rfd_ny said, even though i have no strong bond with them, i would still trust them with my life. But i think that it is important to have bonds with the guys.
    Visit us at http://www.randolphfire.org

Forum Member

i have pretty good bonds with the "guys" i just started but the asst. chief is my uncle plus all the guys on the fd i know pretty well so i can joke openly with them and stuff. they are always doing something to where i get to know them wheather it be at the school or whatever but i must say i would trust my life with them. we are a well oiled unit and it would take some pretty nasty s*** to break that up so its pretty cool.
    "Let's Roll." Todd Beamer 9/11 first soldier in the war on terror

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America. And to the republic for which it stands ONE NATION UNDER GOD indivisible,with liberty, and justice for all.

I.A.C.O.J. Probie and darn proud of it.

Talking Buds

Some of the fire fighters act like our best friends. Others don't even notice we are alive. I have a few fire fighters in the dept who are so sarcatic with me, we go at it for the whole time we are together. It's better to get along with these people, because they are serious when they need to be, and are fun when its appropriate
    9/11 FDNY NYPD We will never forget you. Thank you for protecting us.

Thanx for all of the replies guys.
    Big Dawg

"Find 'em HOT, leave 'em WET!"

"VOLUNTEER FIREFIGHTERS are NEVER off duty!!!"

we have a really friggin small station (about 10 firefighters and perhaps 15 explorers), so its next to impossible to not bond with the guys and gals up there. i consider the captain almost like my second dad, and a couple of the firefighters the uncles i never had (and in a few cases, the uncles i never wanted. j/k). one in particular, me and my engineer are almost always spending the night at the station with him before drill. and i watched one guy go from being a probie explorer to a probie firefighter/emt1. so yeah, our bonds up there are pretty tight.
    JC Makusztak
    Explorer Lieutenant/Firefighter Trainee
    San Bernardino County Fire Dept.
    Station 20, Lytle Creek

I get along with pretty much all of the career staff, mostly because they have known me since i was born and I would hang around the station with my dad. Now that I have been a member, they are always helping me out and give me a chance. Many of the volunteer personnel are the same way, with some exceptions of course.

Forum Member

I live with 2 of them. My mom, who is secretary treasure, and my dad who is Asst. Chief. the whole dept is fairly close. its my second family.

Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

Default I say.....

I say that I do get close to the fellow firefighters and EMTs in my department, I am at the firehouse for everything that we have and I should get close to them I spend the most of my time with them, ocasionally I catch them eating the local diner and I sit with them and order The Zazho's Speacial (Cheeseburger, Frys, and Med Soda), we also take classes together and play basketball. I think that you need to be close....

Exclamation

When I/We ride we are just like one of the guys... The Officer will usaualy tell you do what the guy riding backwards is doing... We cannot only do a few things.. 1) Enter a burning structure 2) Operate Hydro. Extrciation Tools 3) Cannot be in an Aerial type device OVER a building involved in open burning. 4) Not be put in ANY life threatening situation at any time. Other then that it is gravy... The entering a structure is also covered under Fire Alarms or Smoke Invests. We can go to the front door with a line but cannot enter...

-Andrew

Forum Member
    Waynesboro, VA, possibly relocating to Virginia Beach in the near future!

I love 'em all like brothers, known most of them since I was little.

Well grew up as the son of an Lt and most of the older members have known me since birth, close to a dozen members, outta 51, are family and many others mind as well be . for me i was an explorer since 14 y/o and am now a FF, so even some members senior to me have not been around as long as i have. A good group of us cook out together during the summer, go to events in groups, and all party at the same parades. were close and i think thats great, for most of my dept i have no problem trusting them with my life. my money and gf i will still keep an eye on
    Member IACOJ & IACOJ EMS Bureau
    New England FOOL
    "LEATHER FOREVER"
    As always these are strictly my own opinions and views

Thread Information