Thumbs down NFPA's Choice of Keynote Speaker at the World Safety Conference

What is the general feeling of the masses concerning the NFPA's selection of former NYC Police Commissioner Bernard Kerik to speak at the NFPA WORLD SAFETY Conference?

Kerik, according to many, was responsible for the arrest and lock up of Firefighters and Fire Officers at the WTC site.

My feelings are simply FTM-PTB
    Jon Powers
    Firefighter
    West Shore Bureau of Fire
    Wormleysburg, PA

I think he is a great choice. He did his job under terrible circumstances. I feel sorry for the police. They lost brothers and sisters and then have to arrest the firefighters trying to recover them. I blame the Mayor he is top dog and gave the order to remove our brothers and sisters. I dont think its fair to blame the guys on the street.

Angry Bernard Kerik IS a MUTT

This is a letter that was sent to the NFPA, thought I would send it to you.

Allow me to first introduce myself to you to establish some credibility. I am a recently retired Deputy Chief from FDNY. I served 36 years with FDNY, over twenty years as a Chief Officer, was a former Staff Chief and retired as the Commander of the South Bronx and Harlem areas. When it came to my attention that you had chosen B. Kerik, a cop, to address your FIRE PROTECTION conference I thought it was a joke. Unfortunately you did not do your homework regarding your keynote speaker. It is well known in the fire service community in New York City that Kerik HATES FIREFIGHTERS. It was Kerik who ordered the arrest and lock up of Firefighters and Fire Officers at the WTC site when there only heinous crime was to lead the widows and children of deceased firefighters on to the site to say a prayer for their lost loved ones. What you have chosen to do is blasphemy to the 343 firefighters that lost their life that day. You chose him for "...crisis management and leardership...", that he exhibited running away from the site!!!! Why didn't you choose one of the FDNY Chiefs who remained at the scene and exhibited leadership and performed crisis management. Your choice is a disgrace to the fire community of this country that you claim to serve and you shoud be ashamed of your selves. I will make it a goal of mine to let all those in the fire community I come in contact with through, the organizations I belong to, conventions I attend,(FDIC, FireHouse,etc.),how a so called association dedicated to serving the fire comminity shunned fire chiefs ,officers, and firefighters and chose in place of them a cop who dislikes firefighters and ordered their arrest when they went to pray with widows and children at the site of the biggest loss of firefighters life in this country.

Joe DiBernardo,Deputy Chief,FDNY,Ret.

District Chief

Thumbs up

Very nice post Chief. I salute you and hope to someday see you at one of those conferences and shake your hand.

With the greatest respect for your contribution!

Stan

(drop me an email)
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Default NFPA's Choice

This is beyond absurd. Those who are supposed to be looking out for us and protecting the Brothers and the public in general choose a speaker who would sooner lock us up then show true leadership. Get a grip NFPA and make a wiser choice. Always remember PTB-FTM.
    Aaron Heller

This is a slap in the face to all FDNY firefighters and Officers. This man had members of the FDNY arrested and as someone else stated the Mayor is the top dog! That might be right but he charged all these men and made them do the purp wal;k so they could be photographed by the media. Then he had warrent issued for member of the UNOINS! This is the most unthinkable thing I have ever heard of! What does NFPA stand for NO FIREFIGHTER POLICE ADMINISTRATOR! Is this not a fire service group. Thay are still clueless!
    This Group Does not understand the fire service they are suppost to serve.
    If you belong to the NFPA and they don't change this quit!!
    Later Brothers and Sisters
    FTM-PTB-EGH
    Mike Dugan

Simply put...

FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB 09/11/01

Forum Member

Angry what the - ?

Is it just me, or has the NFPA gotten more and more out of touch with the Fire Departments and Firefighting in general? Some years back they discontinued their periodical that centered around firefighting (I'm drawing a blank on the name of it), and they claimed at the time that the firefighting articles would be a part of the "Fire Journal" - well I haven't seen any firefighting articles in there in a long, long while. Meanwhile, NFPA seems to be trying to find more and more ways to expand their commecial code publishing business and it seems like they've forgotten that they are the National Fire Protection Agency!

Poor choice of keynote speaker in my opinion - I'm with Deputy Chief DiBernardo, one of the FDNY chiefs would have been the better choice.
    - Remember our brothers in FDNY -

Truckie

Angry

First it's the capitalization of the tragedy by CBS, the steady return of the fire service to the last page of the metro section in the newspaper, and now the NFPA's selection of the very same person responsible for the lockup of brothers showing respect. Makes a guy wonder where this whole thing took a wrong turn.
    Chief DiBernardo: Thank you for sharing your letter...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Default the following written by William (Billy) Goldfeder

Mr. Goldfeder requested I post his letter to the NFPA on this post

Ms. Julie Reynolds
    NFPA Public Affairs
    jreynolds@NFPA.org

Good Morning Ms. Reynolds,

As a long time NFPA member, I want to express my personal concern.
    Allow me to first introduce myself to you...and please note-I am
    writing to you to express my own opinion-not those of any organizations I am affiliated with-however, odd's are, they agree with me.
    My name is Billy Goldfeder and I am a Batt. Fire Chief in Ohio. I have been a firefighter since 1973, and a Chief since 1982. Here is some info on my background that I share only to assure you that I am clearly "in tune" as a very active member of the fire service. I have served on several NFPA and IAFC Committees over the years and have been an instructor or speaker at most of the national fire service conferences over the last two decades, including the Fire Department Instructors Conference (F.D.I.C.) for the past 18
    years. I am currently serving (in my third term) as a Commissioner on the Commission of Fire Accreditation International. I am also an
    Associate/Contributing Editor for the top three national fire service magazines and have spoken on, or published numerous articles on subjects such as fire service operations and leadership, combination fire departments, fire command and tactics,
    apparatus design and deployment and fireground staffing. In what I
    consider one of the greatest highlights and honors of my career, I was recently appointed as an Honorary Battalion Chief of the Fire Department of the City of New York. At this point, you may have heard from other NFPA members on this subject, since thats how I was told about this, but I wanted to share with you my professional as well as personal concerns as well. I am writing you about our upcoming conference, and about the speaker we (I say "we" as I am a member of the NFPA) have invited, which was recently brought to my attention. Why we have chosen former NYC Police Commissioner
    Kerik, to address our conference need to be seriously reconsidered and changed.
    Our poorly researched choice for our keynote speaker is a slap in the face to not only NY City firefighters, but all American firefighters as well all those involved in fire protection. It is known in the within New York City fire protection "circles," as well as America's fire service, that Commissioner Kerik is not an appropriate representative of fire and rescue service operations. As you are probably aware, Commissioner Kerik ordered the arrests of numerous Firefighters and Fire Officers at the World Trade
    Center site during a very difficult time for the widows and orphans-not to mention Brother and Sister Firefighters-MANY who are members of the NFPA.
    Commissioner Kerik's lack of understanding in showing such
    insensitivity to firefighters was blatant, causing an already horrendous situation to become even worse. Of course, the end result was that all of the firefighters who were arrested and charged had the charges dropped-a clear statement that they did nothing wrong.
    I respectfully request that the NFPA immediately remove the former
    Police Commissioner from the program and that a Chief Fire Officer from New York City-one that was on the scene in a fire protection role, be asked to speak to our members. Our members like me, originally joined the NFPA due to our dedication to the FIRE service. By having a peer speak at our conference, we will be honoring those who were lost on 9-11-01. By having a peer
    speak, we will be properly EDUCATING those in attendance, by allowing them to hear from a qualified fire and rescue professional who played a direct role in fire and rescue services on 9-11-01. A police administrator who had absolutely no role in fire and rescue service delivery on the day of our brothers murders, speaking to the membership of the NFPA is not only a waste of money, but an
    insult to fire protection professionals everywhere.
    I appreciate the opportunity to express my personal concerns and urge you to make appropriate changes to the program as suggested above.
    Sincerely,

William (Billy) Goldfeder
    NFPA Member

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Angry F@#!$%G MUTT

My question....what does this puke know about firefighters and firefighting....with the exception of how to order their arrest and how to disrespect them and the fire service in general?

This is so absurb I can't believe it. A tip 'o the Leather to Chief Goldfeder and Chief DiBernardo for your great letters.

Keep the faith...Be Safe.
    Last edited by enginecappy; 03-07-2002 at 09:26 AM.

Unhappy NFPA

The NFPA seams to have evolved into a lobbying group for
    those with money and power. They tell the establishment
    what it wants to hear.

MembersZone Subscriber

I'm suprised they didn't get Von Essen to look over his shoulder while he speaks.

Forum Member

The only thing that would have made me cancell my reservations faster than Kerik speaking is if Von Esson had been invited.I've cancelled my reservations and although i'm sure that 2 less bodies wo't make or brake the convention,it's my statement as to the stupidity of this choice.
    BTW the 'police commish job' & 'man in the street' should never be used in the same sentence.
    And calling him a mutt is an insult to mutts.

Just one union guys view.

Old Fric
    Firehouse.com Guest

The NFPA, besides being a bastion for those who like to think they are in the "know" is a mess. Having served on a couple of committees with some great fire service people we were shunted aside in favor of those in Business and academic fields, not to mention those who bought degree's. The invitation to Kerik is symptomatic of a larger problem. They are out of touch. They have products to sell.

Sr. Information Officer

Angry NFPA Speaker

Wow. When I registered for these forums, I assumed I was going to be the beneficiary of the vast knowledge acrued by my colleagues in the fire service. However, I never expected to get an education on this subject.

I'm amazed at what I just learned about Bernard Kerik. I didn't realize the disdain was that intense.

My hats off to you all. Speak your mind and let the NFPA hear your concerns.

Sparks are gonna fly at this event.

Be safe out there....and at the convention, if you choose to attend!

Forum Member

Old Fric right on. Out of touch & products to sell: excellent summary.

I started as an NFPA zealot, having been given great career advice by some caring people while in high school back in the early 70's. The deterioration I have seen in the intervening time is both sad and incredible. Their experts now give either incorrect answers or no answers at all, based on my experience. Nobody seems to care about this, right up to and including, outgoing General President Miller, who responded to my concerns with nothing but "smoke and mirrors".

If I paid for my NFPA card instead of work, it would have been cut up and mailed to NFPA when this story broke.

Their experts now give either incorrect answers or no answers at all, based on my experience. Nobody seems to care about this, right up to and including, outgoing General President Miller, who responded to my concerns with nothing but "smoke and mirrors".
    Which is what to expect from a CEO. Like GRIT, I have seen it deteriorate. Now, what you want hear from the fire service elite, is this same notion. They are given just enough corn to eat to keep them full. However the NFPA has turned into NASA with books to sell. I recall someone saying NASA was a public relations firm that happened to have a space agency. The same can be said of the NFPA. They are a PR firm that happens to write the codes we have to live with. I am not condemning the brothers who work hard on committee's but the fact is the NFPA has broadened its scope so much that it is now a prostitute to business.

Thread Information