+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 First 12345 ... Last
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Your oldest apparatus?

Forum Member

our oldest truck is a 1965 seagrave, with a 5 man cab, 1000 gal tank, 1000gmp 2-stage pump, 5 speed transmission, and a 549 cubic inch International. POSSIBLY UP FOR SALE SOON!

1963 VanPelt, International Chassis. Newest is a 1980 VanPelt on an International Chassis. All Engines, no Trucks.
    Althea Forhan
    FDNY 343:"Forever your power and strength stays with me"

Default Oren in VA

N2DFire,

Here is another Oren in VA!!

1969 Ford Oren - tilt cab with a 500 Gallon tank, 750 gpm pump. It is our reserve unit right now, but will be sold in less than a year when we get our new, 2002 Ferrara engine in July .
    Faith in God, Trust in Training.

www.firedepartment@townoftazewell.org

Until recently (mid 90's) our oldest piece still in service was a 1949 American LaFrance 100' aerial ladder. It was replaced by a 1968 Young Pitman 85' Snorkle. That was most recently replace by a 2000 KME 101' Tower/Ladder.

We also have a 1959 GMC w/500gpm Single Stage Hale although it is mainly used for training fires to keep front line apparatus in service, it is still a work horse and can hold its own. I trust it as much as I trust our newer apparatus(and sometimes more)

Default oldest engine

the oldest engine in my dept are a couple of FMC's late 70's models (reserve status) they still run and pump but what a couple of pieces of junk. Until a few years ago we had 2 open cab Mack's now those were some firefighing machines's. Not just anyone jumped into those and took off to a call but once you got there they would pump for days. The oldest we have in front line service is a LaFrance guess it is an early 80's model.

Roger Groves
    Longview Fire Dept.
    Longview Tx

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

1978 Suphen 85 Foot Ladder Truck. We really do not use it unless all H*&ll has broken out, Due for replacment next year, until then, we call our local mutual aid FD whom has 5 new 2001 ladder trucks.

Our next oldest is a engine in reserve. E-1 and is a 1981.
    Front line since 1983 and still going strong

Temporarily/No Longer Active
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

The oldest peice of equipment that we have is a, will I don't know that exact year, but it is late 40's early 50's, this is NOT a parade peice, although we have put it in parade a few times. This engine pumper is 702 and we don't really use it much, it really is our second brush truck, whenever we have a feild fire or bruch fire it repsonds becasue it can just "be bop" right along, not a care in the world. Prefreabbly like older equipment although some of them are trouble but there are some that you can just count on.

Forum Member

Default 1950 mack

Our oldest engine is a 1950 L model Mack, all white with a 750 gpm pump. Mostly used for parades.

MembersZone Subscriber
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

our departments oldest is my companies engine, we have a 1989 e-one pumper, not that old and can still run with the rest if not beat em
    You shouldn't even be in this conversation .

Our oldest still in service is a 1970 Darley engine, 1000 gpm pump with a 500 gallon tank. It is at an outlying station but is a first-line unit, not a reserve. They burnt up the motor years ago (way before my time)and replaced it with one that was a size smaller, so it's kind of underpowered. It'll get you there if you're not in a terrible hurry .

This truck has the distinction of marking the change in our department from red to black-over-yellow as a paint scheme. We've been black-over-yellow since then.

We may consider refurbing it in a couple of years, replace the wimpy gasoline engine with a diesel. It's still in reasonably good shape. That station makes so few runs that I can't justify spending a lot of money replacing it if it still runs.
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream and I hope you don't find this too crazy is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

MembersZone Subscriber

1964 Seagrave pumper but it was repowered and got a new pump in 1980 (has less hours than our 1994 Pierce) followed by a 1971 International John Bean unit, our other dept in the district is a 1969 Chevy pickup with a skid unit followed by there 1971 Chevy John Bean.
    Last edited by firefighterbeau; 11-03-2004 at 12:14 AM.

Forum Member

we have lots of choices.............1973 Chevy brsuh truck that was retroed and is now the Safety Officers Vehicle..........1976 or 78 Chevy C60 "Heavy Squad" now decomissioned as "Special Ops'........also a Beast to keep started once going........1978 Sutphen 85 ft quint that is still pretty "cherry" for its age.......1984 Pierce Arrow ........ 1250 pump 750 tank "rescue engine" (all the stufff came off the "heavy squad" LOL) ........great truck once the turbo gets warmed up. You can see all these trucks and more @ www.rossfordfire.com
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Forum Member

A 1986 GMC Sirrea with a walk in rescue/command post body. There has been some talk about replaceing the truck. But in 98 it got a new Chevy big block,new transmission ,dual alternator/battery setup to handle the new computers,radios and general bigger power demand,it also got two telescopeing lights in the back and was re letterd 3 weeks ago.
    So my guess is if the department is going to spend the $1500 to reletter it, it may be around for a few more years. There really is nothing wrong with it to speak off, just the light bar is getting old but we got a bout 4 of those on the shelf.

For the "oldest appartus"would be our ex military mule M-1 from the Vietnam war. We completely rebuilt it and has been used a few times. 3 weeks ago also we rolled another wreck of a mule into our rebuilding shop and are going to rebuild it. There 2 more but there are no plans to rebuild them. We are looking at the worse of the two as a part suppy for the other 3.

This is M-1 in the bay. We used to haul cribbing around for the CERT program we sponserd this weekend.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Our oldest unit is Brush 2, which is hardly ever used. It's a 1962 GMC Chevy pick-up with the tank and pump mounted in the bed. And come to think of it, I've never driven the thing in the 8 years I've been in the department.

Our oldest MAIN UNIT is a 1976 Kenworth that runs as a tanker. Has a 1700 gallon tank and a 1500 GPM waterous pump that was recently overhauled. It used to be a foam/special hazards engine when the department bought it in 76, WAY before my time. In 1998, as we implimented the department's re-organization, the K-Wopper was refurbed from an engine to an engine/tanker. The cab isn't a fat person's cab, but that thing will haul serious @$$ and is loud as hell. It's easy to drive, easy to pump, but sadly we don't take her out much.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

Forum Member

M-1, with a load of cribbing at the MATF-1 rubble pile.
    I dont suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Forum Member

Ok now, dont laugh at this one. We have MATCHING 1956 & 1957 Ford Pumpers. 500gal pump with 750 tanks. Even better: 5-speed manual with 2-speed rear axle.

After that it would be our 1978 Ford tanker (That used to be a grain truck). But since we were finally approved for a FEMA grant it will be gone soon.

code_blue81
    Jeremy Culver
    IACOJ Bureau of EMS

These views are my own and do not represent the views or opinions of anyambulance service that I am affiliated with.

Help our fellow firefighters.
    www.helpingourown.com
    "Firefighters Helping Firefighters"

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down

How about a 1974 GMC 6500 home made fire truck. It used to be a military gasoline tanker. The pump on it no longer works so it has a stand-alone pump plumbed in inside one of the cargo bays. It is such a POS in so many ways and breaks down all the time.

The nice people at FEMA refused to replcace it this year...
    TO/EMT CVFD (1219)
    EMT GEMS
    CPT/EMT MVFD
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Proud Member of IACOJ
    ---------------------------------------------------
    9-11-01 Never Forget FDNY 343

MembersZone Subscriber

Oldest Engine is a 1979 American LaFrance 1750 Dual Stage pump and 750 tank. Its first out on all fires in District 1 and all commercial fires in the County. I had her out the door on a structure fire Sat night. What a beast...Thats why she's Big Red!

Our Ladder is a 1983 Pirsch/Pemfab that was Ladder 6 in Madison Wisconsin. She still sees action here but not as much as before.
    AKA: Mr. Whoo-Whoo

IAFF Local 3900

IACOJ-The Crusty Glow Worm

ENGINE 302 - The Fire Rats

F.A.N.T.A.M FOOLS FTM-PTB

Forum Member

A 1988 Chevy pickup which serves as our brush truck and is still is pretty fair shape and a 1989 Ford which serves as a service truck/ light attack truck. That rig is currently housed at our slowest station and may get used 4-5 times a year for brush fires in that area. Probaly we'll hang on to it for another couple of years until it falls apart in the bay....

MembersZone Subscriber

Older Equipment we have....

1973 Maxim "S" that was retrofitted with a Spartan Cab in 1990 after an accident.

1976 Kenworth/Pierce Open Cab Pumper.

1986 Pierce Lance

1986 Seagrave 100' Ladder

1968 Kaiser Brush Unit

And we have our 1967 Ford/Young Open Cab Pumper owned by our Chief and his Brother.

Heck, the newest Apparatus is a 1999 Pierce Dash Wagon and a 1989 Pierce Lance 100' Tiller that is wrecked and awaiting a decision as to repair.

Spartanguy, is your KW a Conventional or Flat Front Cab?
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

MembersZone Subscriber

We also have a "big red" a 1974 Ford diesel, 5 speed, 1000gpm pump 2000gal tank, will do 50 down hill Our other truck is a 1972 Chev. 750gpm front mount pump and a 1250 gal tank. (if we don't take it with us we dont spray it) Our tanker is a forestry loaner chassis a 1983 Int. diesel we mounted a 3000gal tank.
    Stay Safe ~ The Dragon Still Bites!

Forum Member

Default Oldest???

An 1826 hand pumper last used after the 1906 San Francisco earthquake. It's still ready for service.

Captain Bob

www.eatstress.com

Forum Member

Tiller:
    It's a conventional cab. Very cramped quarters inside. It's hard to put two men in there with TOG on, much less trying to pack up in the officer's seat. When I drive, I usually throw my gear in the back compartment or in the tray above the pump.

Found a half decent pic at work:

The picture is weird, the trucks aren't that annoyingly bright yellow. That truck is sharp, though, when you see it in person, and that baby can MOVE.
    Last edited by SpartanGuy; 11-03-2004 at 02:40 PM.
    "Captain 1 to control, retone this as a structure and notify the fire chief...."

Safety is no accident.

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking Spartan Guy

Ours looks nicer....LOL

1976 Kenworth/Pierce 2000GPM Pumper
    Detroit 8V92TA 475HP Motor W/Allison Auto
    Carries 2000' of 5" Hose and LDH adapters.
    Designated our "Water Supply Unit."

That Tanker does look sharp though...Where are you located? On the East Coast? I know the Seattle Area used alot of KW apparatus.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up More

1973 Maxim "S" Model. Formerly Engine 251. Was rolled over in a Collision in 1990 and rehabbed.....

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking 1973 Maxim "S" Reincarnated....

to a 1990 Maxim/Spartan/Mason-Dixon Fire Apparatus. Designation changed to Foam 25 in 1986 when our current Engine 251 (1986 Pierce) was delivered and our Old Foam Unit took a crap.

1250 GPM Pump, 400GWT, 400GFT.
    Detroit 8V-71 325HP (LOUD and Fast)
    Allison Auto Trans.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 First 12345 ... Last

Thread Information