Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Your oldest apparatus?

Forum Member

Our "old baby" is a 1968 Mack Engine, We use it as a "Reserve" piece but it has seen a few inital attacks in the last few years
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152
    "You stopped being in charge when I showed up"

MembersZone Subscriber

1895 Hose Cart
    next oldest is a 1941 GMC midship (was a WWII Army fire truck, our village obtained in 1948)
    Third Oldest - 1966 IH "bucket truck" with front mount pump

Forum Member

Our oldest is a 1978 Ford with 750 tank and 750 gmp pump. It's our reserve and doesn't run calls or parades. It's just there for ISO credits but we are looking to get rid of it and put our next oldest pumper into reserve. If so, then our 1986 Ford with 750 tank and 1250 gpm pump would be reserve and it still runs good if we need to put it in service.
    ---
    photo is of our reserve pumper

Forum Member

And heres' a pic of our 1986 Ford Pumper. 750 tank and 1250gpm pump. Still in service and my favorite truck to drive in any parades. It runs like a champ but with no air conditioner or AM/FM radio it's not a favorite among most of our vollies. But I love it and even though it may become our Reserve in the near future it will still pump as well as anything we have bought lately.

MembersZone Subscriber

Default Re: oldest apparatus

Our oldest apparatus is a 1982 Crown Pumper. We aquired it early this year from the Marysville Fire District (Sno. Co. WA) Our Volunteers put many hours into refurbishing the engine to match our first out. With a black over red paint scheme, all the diamond plate was polished and we had all the compartments done with "Line - X." The engine is a strong runner and still pumps with the best of them. It is said that this crown was one of the very last to roll out of the plant from the crown company, shortly after being put in service the crown was first in on a second alarm hanger fire. The crown is second out to our 2002 Pierce Quantum.
    Last edited by jstocker; 11-03-2004 at 07:19 PM.
    J. Stocker
    Getchell Fire
    Bulldogs

Forum Member

We have two "parade" pieces that we regularly take to parades in our area, first we have an 1866 Amoskeag Steamer which was operational until 1995 when the boiler broke (we are in the process of getting funding for it) and a 1932 Sanford Hose Cart.
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152

Forum Member

Our 1932 Sanford Hose Cart
    NYS FF1/AEMT-CC
    IAEP Local 152

Forum Member

Tillerman.
    Whats that thing sticking out the hose bed on the second photo?

Forum Member

Our oldest (still in use) is a 1977 Pierce/International Tele-Squirt.....

Have an older parade truck. I think late 50s....... Will have to find a pic......

Forum Member

OK....... I think these are the same truck (it's hard to tell from the pics)........

The truck on the far right.......... It is in the process of being refurbished.......

Forum Member

we still operate a 1969 American LaFrance Snorkel. We also have our antique for the 1930s, which can still drive and pump.
    If my basic HazMat training has taught me nothing else, it's that if you see a glowing green monkey running away from something, follow that monkey!

FF/EMT/DBP

MembersZone Subscriber

Whats that thing sticking out the hose bed on the second photo?
    It's the window to protect the FIREMAN riding on the TAILBOARD!
    Proud Right-Wing Extremist since 1992

"Extreme Liberalism is a Mental Disorder"- Michael Savage

Forum Member

other company in town...2nd due piece

1962 75' Snorkle, rechassied on a 2000 Pierce, same useless boom.
    Last edited by Bones42; 03-15-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Forum Member

other company in town....their 3rd due piece

1972 Seagrave
    Last edited by Bones42; 03-15-2011 at 10:38 AM.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

MembersZone Subscriber

1979 King Seagrave 840gpm front-pumper. 3-man cab, split-shift 5 speed, and a ride-on tailboard you can park a mini-van on.

It was also our newest apparatus until three months ago.
    Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!

IACOJ

Our oldest unit is a 1968 Kaiser Jeep. The truck serves as a brush truck, but with the amount of equipment carried it could almost serve as a frontline engine (providing a bigger tank/pump). The truck is now nicknamed "Brush Hawg" as it will go anywhere (especially if you add the paddles). Truck placed 1st at the 125th Annual Pa Fireman's Convention held this past September for the best appearing/equipted Brush Unit.
    Think!! This Might Be The Day You Dont Come Home!

East Fallowfield Fire & Rescue
    Station 13
    Crawford County, Pa.
    Firefighter/EMT

Forum Member

Our oldest responding unit is a '52 GMC 500 GPM pumper with a 500 gal. tank. It responds with our rural dept. Would make a great parade piece with some work, but needs replaced for duty.

TF

MembersZone Subscriber

Our oldest is a 1975 Ford L8000, our Engine 3. It was refirbed in 1999. Biggest, most glorious piece of crap we got.

The only cool thing about it is that it will be going down the road soon.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Forum Member

Geeze, this post is from when I was Plattsfire1. It's been so long since I've posted on here that I forgot my password and had to start over as Plattsfire2. Low and behold, somebody found it from WAY back in the archives.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our oldest piece is a 1988 PL Custom ambulance body which was first utilized as a BLS non-transporting rescue truck and is now utilized as a Squad truck for manpower and equipment.

Our oldest Engine is a 1995 E-One

Chris Shields
    Lieutenant / EMT
    Haz-Mat Technician
    East Syracuse Fire Dept
    Onondaga County, NY

MembersZone Subscriber

As a small vollie dept with a $50,000 dollar budget we manage to do well (considering), and our oldest is a 1989 Pierce Dash Pumper.

Forum Member

I dare say that we will have everyone beat. The Memphis Fire Department currently has 26 trucks. Three E-one platforms, eighteen E-one 100' rearmounts, & 5 OLD Pirsch tiller trucks. The oldest is T24 located at fire station 38. They pull a 1934 trailer with a 1972 Pirsch tractor.

The other 4 trailers are pulled by 80's model Ford tractors. Pics of all can be seen on our website. Enter, click on apparatus.

T6 is at 28's.
    T12 is at 30's.
    T17 is at 35's.
    T21 is at 50's.
    T24 is at 38's.

All of these trailers have been factory refurbed at least twice, maybe more.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Forum Member

We have a 1984 Pierce Dash 1250/500 that we use as a back up for our squad and for training. The only time it runs as an engine is when we are in "huricanne mode", when we use it as our first out. With its "old school" electronics, its better for high water

Our back up engine is a 1993 Pierce Lance 1500/500 rescue pumper.
    Fire Marshal/Safety Officer

IAAI-NFPA-IAFC/VCOS-Retired IAFF

"No his mind is not for rent, to any god or government"
    RUSH-Tom Sawyer

Success is when skill meets opportunity
    Failure is when fantasy meets reality

Forum Member

Originally posted by MemphisE34a
    I dare say that we will have everyone beat. The Memphis Fire Department currently has 26 trucks. Three E-one platforms, eighteen E-one 100' rearmounts, & 5 OLD Pirsch tiller trucks. The oldest is T24 located at fire station 38. They pull a 1934 trailer with a 1972 Pirsch tractor.

The other 4 trailers are pulled by 80's model Ford tractors. Pics of all can be seen on our website. Enter, click on apparatus.

T6 is at 28's.
    T12 is at 30's.
    T17 is at 35's.
    T21 is at 50's.
    T24 is at 38's.

All of these trailers have been factory refurbed at least twice, maybe more.

I dare to say that the apparatus of the Fire Department of Memphis are or at least at one time, were the BEST kept and maintained fire apparatus in use. When A. O. Smith was running the shops, they had very little deadlined apparatus there. Everything got fixed without much delay and a lot was make in the shops. When the ambulances came in to service in the 1960's. the shops took care of them as well. Most, if not all the old salvage, hose tenders, old rescue's, light wagons, and the Multi Master and apparatus of the like were made by the shops. These older senior ladder trucks have been around for a long time. They will be around for longer as the shops keeps them in great mechanical order. It was very hard to beat a Pirsch Ladder Truck!

I would not trash these older pieces as they still have very good use and life in them. If the department had not still had senior trucks they would not had been able to make rescues at the Regis Tower high rise incident where several outstanding Brothers lost their lives.

Keep them running guys, they will never fail you!

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Forum Member

Hey Cap. You never cease to amaze me. Your knowledge of our town is amazing. You have to have lived and worked here in a previous life.

The shop was top notch back when A.O. Smith was running it. It is not so top notch anymore. But I think it has more to do with what they are having to work on today not neccessarily who is doing the work or overseeing the shop.

I know it seems like I am down there every other set in our '99 E-One pumper.

Alot of companies that get in some older reserves would rather keep them then get their new stuff back.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Thread Information