Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Your oldest apparatus?

Thumbs up

Mglax13, that is a beautiful rig!

I love it. It's a little tough to drive, but once you get used to it, it's great.

We had that rig in services back in the day, then we sold it. In the mid 80's, we decided we wanted it back, did a little research and found it sitting in a field, all rusted and such.

A little TLC and alot of man hours and elbow grease and this was the end result.
    MFD Truck 2
    The Workhorse Company

Truck 32-4 - 1985 LTI Refurbished in 2004
    109 Foot Ladder
    Firefighter for Vestal 32-2

American Red Cross Volunteer

this is a 1979 oren/duplex pumper it previouslly belonged to baltimore county maryland where it was rolled and damaged the right side. It was purchased by me dept in late 1990 and was repaired and has been on active duty since
    Attached Images Attached Images   

1981 Mack pumper. I wish Mack still made engines. We have had e-0ne, Seagrave, KME, Pierce, and Ferarra. Nothing compares in simplicity and reliability to a Mack, especially the CF and Mack Aerialscopes,

1990 Ford Pumper
    Everything else is from 2000 and newer.
    www.firehall.com - check it out

Forum Member

We have a 1976 ford pumper with a completly open bench seat behind the cab. Someday we will get a new pumper (come on AFG grant)

Forum Member

Our 3rd engine is a 1959 FWD Farrar with 750 in the tank and a 750gpm pump to match. We still use it regularly and pumps like new. I also has 4WD, but no synchromesh or power steering, which make it lots of fun to drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

MembersZone Subscriber Firedawg42's Avatar

1975 Snorkel. She's a real special old girl....not refurbished either.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainGonzo View Post
    Posted on March 7, 2002 by "moi"
    Our oldest piece of in service apparatus is Engine 4...a 1979 E-One built on a Ford C-8000 chassis. It was originally placed into service as Engine 1 and was painted chrome yellow.

Engine 4 is a reserve piece. The paint scheme is now white over red.
    This is now changed. The old Engine 4 has been retired and traded in. The "new" Engine 4 is a 1988 E-One Ford built on a C-8000 chassis with a enclosed "doghouse" crew cab that ran as Engine 3 from 1988 to 2000.
    Another change... Engine 5 is the oldest in the fleet. It is a 1992 International/Central States 1250 gpm pump/750 gallon tank/30 gallon foam tank. It was formerly Engine 1.
    Last edited by CaptainGonzo; 03-01-2010 at 07:50 AM.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

We just sold our '37 Ford Darley.

So currently our oldest rig is a '74 Mack CF. I love that truck, more than any other truck we have, including our '05 HME-Ahrens Fox rescue pumper. The CF just screams firetruck to me.

MembersZone Subscriber dmleblanc's Avatar
    Not the end of the earth but I can see it from here...

Our oldest is a 1970 Darley on a Ford chassis. Funniest part about it is teaching new guys to drive it. They "think" they know how to drive a standard transmission. Usually end up doing a good deal of cussing after their first drive in it (it takes some experience)
    Chief Dwayne LeBlanc
    Paincourtville Volunteer Fire Department
    Paincourtville, LA

"I have a dream. It's not a big dream, it's just a little dream. My dream — and I hope you don't find this too crazy — is that I would like the people of this community to feel that if, God forbid, there were a fire, calling the fire department would actually be a wise thing to do. You can't have people, if their houses are burning down, saying, 'Whatever you do, don't call the fire department!' That would be bad."
    — C.D. Bales, "Roxanne"

The Chevy pickup (purchased used to carry 2000' of 2.5" hose and tow a trailer mounted pump) is circa 1974. Since we took the hose off it and use it more as a utility it goes out a little more, but it's in the back row.

More likely to go out is the tanker we built on a used 1984 IH chassis (it still has a dent in the roof from the reefer), but we're discussing getting rid of that. It's a bear to shift. Those that can whiz through the gears, those that can't don't even try.

Our engine in a 1992 IH/KME.

The 1932 Sanford 3N "Cub" spends most of it's time in storage, making occasional appearances for parades and special events. We'd like to get it out more, but the interest isn't there.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Forum Member

My full-time department's oldest is a 1991 Ferrera Tanker. It it being refurbished this year as it is still in very good shape.

The department next door that I volunteer for has a 1967 Mack engine, currently functioning as a reserve piece. We are planning to retire it within the next 2 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Chenzo View Post
    We just sold our '37 Ford Darley.

So currently our oldest rig is a '74 Mack CF. I love that truck, more than any other truck we have, including our '05 HME-Ahrens Fox rescue pumper. The CF just screams firetruck to me.
    Yeah, the CF is one of two trucks that, as a kid, I thought of when I thought "fire engine". The other is the ALF. I didn't know what they were called, of course, but I knew what they looked like.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.”
    --General James Mattis, USMC

Our oldest is a 1979 Ford 9000 pumper. its replacement will be here in april, a 2010 spartin . So that would then make our oldest a 1989 Ford engine

Forum Member

1989 Pemfab/E-One Engine 1000 gal. tank/1000 pump(estimate). Runs mostly 2nd due but is first for chimney fires. Still runs and pumps like a champ sounds like a beast too.

http://hughesvillefiredept.com

1964 Ford 800 gallon tanker. Followed by a 1979 Chevy 1250 tanker, refurbed in 99, going to get a new chassis. We also have a 1981 Ford Tanker. The 1964 and 1981 are going to be replaced in the coming months, within 6 or so. Oldest engine is a 1997 Ford L8000 with 1000/1000.
    Last edited by CGITCH; 03-01-2010 at 04:42 PM.

Forum Member

Our oldest Engine is a 1911 Knox Combination Chemical and Hose Wagon, the first motorized fire engine purchased by the City of Lexington. It is still on the vehicle list.

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Our oldest is a 1974 Ford L8000, our Engine 3. It was refirbed in 1999. Biggest, most glorious piece of crap we got.

The only cool thing about it is that it will be going down the road soon.
    We still have this POS and there still isn't any plans for this to go down the road any time soon, I am sorry to say. At least it is downgraded to "reserve" status and rarely goes out the door.
    Jason Knecht
    Assistant Chief
    Altoona Fire Dept.
    Altoona, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Thread Information