Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default interview questions

I'm preparing for an interview with a paid department and was wondering how some of you would answer a question I'm 100% sure that they will ask.

Why do you want to be a firefighter with this department?

I have some ideas and I'm really looking to be original. I'm not looking for anyone to tell me what to say but more or less seeing how my answer would stand out against everyone else.
    Also if you have any input on other common questions that I might encounter. I would appreciate the insight.

Thanks and God Bless

I thought I would step to the left of your question and help you out. You'll get the expected questions of "Why do you want to be a firefighter?" and "Why should we hire you?" and so on, and all these are pretty easy to answer. But the toughest question I ever got was "Why should we NOT hire you?". Believe me, it was a shocker to all the candidates who took the test and the department is not looking for "There is no reason, I'm the perfect firefighter.". They want to see how you think quickly on the fly. (Just like the job!) Advice: Go for the statement that comes out negative but is really a positive. "I sometimes work too hard" or "I'm a bit of a perfectionist, I don't stop til it's done just right" and "I'm very team orientated and I don't work too well with people who don't put the Department first.". Just thought you should be aware of this so you don't get thrown. Good luck!
    Brian CFD #357

P.S. I guess it worked, cuz I got hired #1 and I'm on my 14th year.

Brian,

Thanks for the input. I will take that into consideration and prepare myself for that question. I hope that something will materialize from the interview. Again thanks it is very much appreciated.

SHCoTrk531
    Maryland

I've thrown this website out here before , it's a pretty good idea of some questions that are common.I would tell you to just be sincere and be yourself .Good Luck! http://www.eatstress.com/thirty.htm

Thread Information