Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Death and injury benefits question

I am a part-time FF/EMT-Basic. I am researching what other depts. benefits for part-time or volunteer personel in case of injury or death. I work for a combination full/part-time fire dept. which has benefits for the full time personel only(union won). Us part-timers have an assosiation and I need to find some other depts. that have benefits for their part-time or volunteers that I can use to make a presentation for demanding benefits for us. We have a lot at stake if we get killed or injured on the fire dept. If we are killed or injured working for the fire dept, our full time jobs insurance may cover health care but not workmans comp and not death benefits due to that happening while working for another employer. If anyone can help with this, please reply. Thank You
    Bruce

MembersZone Subscriber

Default LODD & Disability Benefits For Part-time & Volunteer Members

There are a number of possible sources for benefits:
    • Federal LODD death benefit. This is currently $250K, and all police, fire, and EMS are eligible, independent of pay status.
    • There may be some state benefits - check with your state fire marshal's office or other state fire agency.
    • Depending on how your workmen's compensation is set up, you may have coverage for medical expenses. As a part-timer or volunteer, you probably won't get much if any income replacement.
    • You might be eligible for Social Security disability payments.
    • Your employer could provide death and/or disability insurance. Check with them and with a company like VFIS (Volunteer Fire Insurance Service).
    Hope this helps.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Default Thanks

for your reply, however what I am actually looking for is more of a survey. What does your city, twp, fire dept. give you for benefits, (workmans comp., death benefit, etc.) or are you like us, just "tough out of luck" when you get injured or killed, see what you might get from the Feds or state gov.? I think that is unacceptable and deplorable. After all that happened 9/11, you would think that your local gov. would show more care and concern about taking care of their part-time or volunteer FFs.
    Bruce

MembersZone Subscriber

im in all volunteer depts. we have workmans comp and insurance with VFIS which includes death benifits for our next of kin

Pa State law requires that local municipalities provide workmans compensation insurance to all volunteer fire companies providing coverage in their jurisdiction. I don't know if this is true anywhere else.

Forum Member

Our (100% volunteer) department gives workman's comp for any injuries. Plus, we just bought a couple of insurance policies on all members. There's a life insurance policy for LODD, and we also got a good deal on a 24/7 death/dismemberment/disability insurance package that insures us all regardless of whether we're doing something related to the fire department or not. We also get a $1000 property tax abatement if you maintain active membership over a certain period of time. And even with all this and more, I'm STILL the new guy after a year in the department. *grin*

Andy

Thread Information