Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Another training death...

Hit by a train while driving a fire truck after training...

http://www.firehouse.com/lodd/2002/ky_mar5a.html
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

It is a tragic event.

Hopefully this will serve as a reminder to people to:
    1) Make sure the track is clear before crossing
    and
    2) Don't take a chance by thinking that you can beat the train across the tracks.

MembersZone Subscriber

Mongo, this opens up an entire new can of worms. The number of deaths caused by MVA in the fire service is appalling. That is because the level of EVO training in this country sucks. You give an 18 year-old kid, who has less than a year of driving a car, and put him behind the wheel of a 15 ton fire apparatus with a propensity for shifting loads and you have a recipe for disaster. Add to that the dynamic of running hot and it is no wonder that there are so many accidents.

If you want evidence, read the accounts of the fatal accidents involving FD apparatus. How many of them are rollovers? At least half. In my opinion, a rollover equals careless or inexperienced driving.

As far as this incident, I won't comment because the investigation is incomplete. There will be many issues to be addressed when it is.

Angry

I will not comment on this situation as it is better to wait until more is known. However, I do agree with George that roll-overs are a concern. I have been studying them for a while via different information sources. One is the NIOSH reports on firefighter fatalities. I wrote a short article on The Box Alarm website about 3 weeks ago. I believe now is the time to write a more comprehensive article.

Just so no one misinterprets my previous comment:
    I am not saying that either of the points I made caused this terrible accident. I am only saying I hope it will serve as a reminder.

George:
    As for what you said in regard to the lack of experience with 18 y/o drivers, that is one of the reasons that you cannot drive a bigger apparatus (ie rescue, engine, tanker) in my department until you are 21. Although, we do let them drive the smaller vehicles (our forestry, service vehicles).

Default Fire Trucks and Trains

I echo the comments made earlier....
    STOP AND LOOK...responding or not....Take the TIME to LOOK!

I lost two good friend when their Fire Truck was hit by an AMTRAK Train traveling 70 MPH while they were responding to a car fire (Catlett Virginia, September 28, 1989) A senseless loss.

Also agree, the death tol by Fire apparatus is outrageous...as is any death of course. But Driving is something you can control. I worked with a guy that would say to the driver "remember....my life is in your hands" each time he got on the pumper, responding or not. A good observation I would say!

Please be safe
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

I advocated limiting drivers under 21 to smaller vehicles unless they had a CDL and was told it was discriminatory. From what I have read in the last couple of years though, it seems that very few of the drivers involved in apparatus fatalities have been under 25.

Thread Information