Lightbulb FDNY Fundraisers - time to slow down

I have been reading news articles and relief agency briefings about the amount of money raised to help the families of the FDNY and NYPD personnel killed in the WTC incident. The amount each family of everyone killed in the WTC incident (civilian and emergency services) has received to date is significant. It is impressive how generous citizens and firefighters alike have been in helping these families.

Now not to be a wet blanket, but I read almost once a week about firefighters dying in other parts of our country. These firefighters also have left behind families, however, the outpouring of donations to these families is minimal or non-existent from a nationwide brotherhood standpoint. Some of these families have quite likely donated money to help our FDNY and NYPD families.

I'm a firm believer in not pushing anyone to donate to any particular cause over another, I'm just asking that we reflect on this and decide for yourselves individually if maybe it's time to diminish the contributions to the FDNY/NYPD and start channeling donations to our other brothers and sisters who are killed weekly across the country. Their families have suffered the same loss and have the same financial burdens as those killed at the WTC.

We (firefighters nationwide) have shown, as a result of the WTC incident, that we can pull together and help our brothers/sisters. It would be nice if we could do that consistently for ALL of our fallen brothers/sisters.

Just some food for thought.

Be safe out there!

Default helping our own

Dear Capt.

As the National Fundraiser for Great Britain I co-ordinated a lot of the fundraising with our fire fighters and we transferred approx 6 million pounds to help the families.

I do agree with you that it is time to take care of fire fighters and their families all over the world. Also, who is taking care of the surviving fire fighters as the aftermath of that terrible tradgety will surely rear it's ugly head for some time.

I work for the Fire Services National Benevolent Fund in Great Britain and we have a very successful fund which strives to help it's fire fighters, widows/orphans, less able, disabled and retired members. We also have two convalence centres and one state of the art therapy centre which is used by all the above when in need. Our fund was set up following the Second World War when America and Canada sent funds to help our widows and orphans.

Please feel free to look at our website and see what we do. It is www.fsnb.org.uk

Bob McTague (fire fighters Chelsea London) approached our Benevolent Fund to ask for an International Fire Fighters Day and have just had it agreed by our ministers, chief fire officers and memorial trust. We want this day to recognise the work that fire fighters do all over the world but also to give countries the opportunity to raise funds for their own and hopefully set up similar benevolent funds.

The date which has been agreed is the 8th September and I will be more than happy to discuss how we intend to fundraise in Great Britain.

Take care

Barbara
    bd a'avino

I have to totally agree with the above, But it is seriously time to start to organize a national Fund/charity for the US fire services

Without it many hundereds of families will suffer in the future and some will have no financial wories ever again, should this not be the same for everybody.
    Gunny

Default Support for all Fire Fighters and their families

Check out www.fsnbf-group5.org.uk if you have a minute.

Barbs
    bd a'avino

Thread Information