Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Did you hear the one about...

Nurse's aide lets man she hit bleed to death
    By Hugh Aynesworth
    THE WASHINGTON TIMES
    http://www.washtimes.com/national/20020308-7340154.htm

FORT WORTH, Texas - A 25-year-old nurse's aide has been charged with murder after her admission that she hit a homeless man on a Texas highway, impaled him in her windshield and watched him slowly die two days later in her garage, as he moaned and begged for help.

The man, a 37-year-old mentally deficient drifter described as "a gentle, gentle soul" by one homeless-shelter worker, has been identified as Gregory Glen Biggs. His body was discovered in a park in Fort Worth several days after the accident in October.

Police conjectured that he had been a hit-and-run victim, but the Tarrant County medical examiner said the man had no internal injuries.

"We thought the body had been dumped there because there wasn't enough blood, and they were telling us he obviously bled to death," said one Fort Worth cop.

A series of tips - from those who were suspicious that Chante Mallard had abandoned her car to others to whom she had told conflicting stories about "an accident" - led police to her in February.

Fort Worth police, accustomed to seeing brutality, were appalled as Miss Mallard calmly told them what she had done.

She said she had been drinking heavily and using Ecstasy that October night, and while driving to her south Fort Worth home, she hit the man. The impact, she said, drove him headfirst inside the windshield, his mangled legs protruding onto the hood.

She told the police she panicked and drove to her home and quickly parked the car inside her garage, with the victim moaning and pleading for help. Miss Mallard said she went inside and went to bed. She heard his moaning, but still offered him no help. She went to the garage several times in the next two days to talk to him, she said, but added that she ignored his pleas for help.

Two, possibly three, days later, the man died of loss of blood and shock.

Then Miss Mallard said that she gathered several acquaintances and got them to pull the body out of the windshield and stow it in the trunk of another car. Several persons then took the victim and tossed him in Cobb Park, where two men discovered it the next day.

Richard Alpert, a Tarrant County assistant district attorney, said he couldn't describe his feelings. "I'm going to have to come up with a new word," he said. "Indifferent isn't enough. Cruel isn't enough to say. Maybe we've just redefined inhumanity here."

Mike Heiskell, a Fort Worth lawyer representing Miss Mallard, said he thinks the prosecutors are overstepping "reality" in charging his client with murder. "I believe the law will shake out that this was simply a case of failure to stop and render aid."

Mr. Alpert strongly disagreed.

"This goes so far beyond failure to stop and render aid because she did more than render aid. She made it impossible for anyone else to do so," he said.

"If he had gotten medical attention," said Fort Worth Police Sgt. John Fahrenthold, "he probably would have survived."

Dee Hunter, who worked at an outreach center where Mr. Biggs often sought shelter, said, "He was a nice man, such a gentle, gentle soul. How could anybody do such a thing?" she asked. "And then just ... oh, I can't even talk about it. He was such a nice man. He didn't deserve to die the way he did."

Mr. Biggs' mother, Meredith Biggs, who had not seen her son for several years, told police she had recently begun looking for him. "How could she just leave him like that to die? Drugs and alcohol wear off, so why didn't she get him some help? I should have prayed more," she said.

Today's testimony was that she went in and had a romp with her boyfriend as soon as she got the car in the garage, then took him to the garage and showed him.

Some of tha whackiest crap you ever heard is being said to excuse this woman's (and Andrea Yates'...) actions:

Callers to a radio talk shows said crap like "she's a nurses aid so she is used to dealing with pain and suffering and putting her emotions aside." (BS, she's a heartless cowardly b^&%h. I wonder if gramma was under her care in the nursing home...)

"She was on drugs and didn't know what she was doing" (Yeah then why did she go out and continually apologize to the guy?)

Anybody else notice what's missing from the story? Wanna guess why?

Unfreakinbelievable...
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Disillusioned Subscriber Steamer's Avatar

Her attorney must've been using the same dope that she was. He reportedly said something to the effect that when it all shakes out, it will be a simple "leaving the scene of an accident, and failure to render aid."

Huh? For 3 days? Manslaughter would be a slap on the wrist.

I'll bet this guy thinks he could get a sodomy charge reduced to assured clear distance, too! What a world we live in!
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

MembersZone Subscriber

There is even more to this bizarre tale. Apparently, and correct me if I'm wrong but she enlisted the help of several friends. How in the world do you ask a friend. "Hey, "mongo", wanna help me dump a body"? I can't decide who is more messed up, the woman for hitting this poor guy and leaving him to bleed out in the windshield of her car, or her friends for helping her.
    Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

Yep you are correct. Three or four friends helped her.

It depends on who we're dumping on whether I'll help you or not, I know a few folks over your way and with one of them I might consider it .
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Oh boy!!! Is this for real? This must be one seriously inbred group of sickos. It must be frightening to have to try defending someone like this in the courts. Makes me depressed just to think of the inhumanity of this person/animal.
    GOD BLESS THE INTERNATIONAL BROTHERHOOD OF FIREFGHTERS< TODAY AND ALWAYS>

I noticed that there was no mention of race/creed/national origin in the story.

Rgeardless of whether Miss Mallard was white, black, red, green, purple, blue, Catholic, Baptist, Jewish, Muslim, Buddhist or a devil worshipper, what she did was unconscionable. I feel that the charge of murder is warranted, and those who helped her dump the body should be charged as accessories to murder!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Temporarily/No Longer Active

The sickening part...was that this piece of crap continued to go into her garage and talk to the man! They should take her and her scumbag lawyer out to the Interstate and let them play dodge car, with the 1st vehicle to smash one the winner.

Capn' Gonz....I'm reading your mind brother!
    Last edited by enginecappy; 03-09-2002 at 08:36 AM.

All of those people who had a hand in the disposing of the body and the lady who hit him are sick. I hope that temporary insanity is not used as an excuse. If it is and they get off because of it, they shoukd be put in strait jackets for the rest of their lives. They are a danger to every one around them.
    My opinion. Larry

When I saw this on CNN I couldnt not believe what I was hearing.What a horrible way to die.

The thing that really got me was the womans attorney who stated "Ms. Mallard isnt the monster the prosecutors are making her out to be".Oh I'm sorry, I forgot. Everyday we have people hitting folks, then driving the car home with the person embedded in the windshield, pulling into the garage and leaving them there to die! She had sex with her boyfriend shortly after pulling into the garage and leaving the guy there, she kept checking on him to see if he was dead yet, and then when the poor man did pass on, she enlisted the help of friends to dump the body. Silly me! She sounds like a warm and fuzzy lady to me!

I say we save TX some money. Lets forgoe the trials of both Mallard and Andrea Yates--put them in a locked room together and let them have at it. Be the cheapest executions TX has ever had.

JMO.

Lady.
    "Let every nation know..that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, oppose any foe, to assure the survival and the success of liberty"---JFK, Jan.1961

Thumbs down Depravity

I first read this story yesterday in my local newspaper, which also printed photos of both the victim and the perp.

This is the most disgusting, disturbing and despicable thing I've heard of in a long time. I can't help but think of how devastated I'd feel if the victim had been a relative or someone close to me. What makes this case horrifying is the fact that the victim would most likely have survived had he received medical attention. I have absolutely no pity for Ms. Mallard. My gut reaction is to say fry her, (and I generally don't think in those terms) but that's too good - I'd rather see her rot in prison over a period of time, just as her victim did.

As long as there are scurillous scoundrel lawyers who keep cooking up absurd and far-fetched defense stragegies, which are little more than poor excuses for outrageous behavior, and a sappy populace that eats it all up, partly in the guise of entertainment, no one ever need take responsibility for his or her behavior, and the depravitywill continue.

End of rant - my opinion only.

Apparently, her lawyer called on one of her older brothers, a Fort Worth Fire Department lieutenant, to testify that she would not be a flight risk at a bond hearing Friday.

Goes to show ya not all the sick people are in hospitals! Must be a pretty shallow gene pool where her, her friends, and her lawyer come from.

Angry

The following excerpt from a www.foxnews.com article perhaps offers a little insite into the psyche of MS. Mallard.

Mallard, who is black, told friends at a mid-February get-together that she wasnít allowed to drive because of the accident, according to the affidavit filed by Ft. Worth Detective D.E. Owings. The information came during an interview with tipster Maranda Daniel, who was at the gathering.

"Shantae (sic) stated that Ö she hit this white man with her car. Maranda advised that Shantae giggled when she said ĎI hit this white man,í" reads the affidavit, which has been posted on The Smoking Gun Web site.

She's bad enough, but her lawyer is a true sight to behold. This piece of dog crap stated yesterday "the police are blowing this way out of proportion, at worst she left him in her garage for 14-16 hours". Gee, I was just confused..that makes it WAY better. Mongo, what the hell are you folks treating your water with down there?

Forum Member
    Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

I saw the story yesterday for the first time and could not believe it. What really topped it off for me was the fact that this man died because of leg injuries. It took three days for this man to die. SHE NEEDS TO CRUCIFIED. Really put her *** on the cross and leave her for dead. It should only take a day or two not too long. B*&%#!!!

D Kelly

what the hell are you folks treating your water with down there?

It's the MTBs in the gas that bill and al forced us to use that was supposed to clean the air at the expense of the water system.

Check out this, the police report!

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/doc_o_day/doc_o_day.shtml

MembersZone Subscriber

The newest recent development: She and that scumbag lawyer have tried to say that she was slipped somekind of controlled substance at the dance venue she was at. Hmmm, not buying that complete load of crap. It seems like they are saying "well yes, she hit the poor guy, left him to die impaled in her car windshield, but she was unknowingly on some sort of narcotic and that makes what she did a little less worse."

Her and that goofy Yates lady make me wanna puke.

Proud member of the IACOJ
    ftm-ptb-egh
    *** These are my opinions, they do not in any way reflect those of my department.***

Forum Member

Mongo, I'm with you 99.999999%. The only exception being your inclusion of the Yates lady. You can't even begin to understand that whole concept until you experience that depression stuff for yourself firsthand. I felt the same way you did, and thought mental illness was a joke, and mental health professionals were all quacks.

That is, until it hit close to home. No, make that right squarely IN my home. Took me by surprise. Learned alot. Opened my eyes. Taught me I shouldn't be the judge, although it's easy for me to fall back into being one opinionated judgemental guy.

Webteam, forgive me for getting off the fire service topics.

MembersZone Subscriber

If she was white and the victim was black, cries of racism wold have already been made and Jesse Jackson would already be holding rallies in Fort Worth.

The good news is Texas ainít afraid to use the death penalty. Next?
    Bryan Beall
    Silver City, Oklahoma USA

Thread Information