Question question on diamond plate tread

Not sure if this topic has been discussed previously. If so then my apologies.
    What I am wondering about is if any one out there has any good way to clean up aluminum diamond plate tread on older trucks?
    I am looking for something obviouly non-abrasive. The rig is about twenty years old and the tread plates are water stained and yellowed in some areas. I'd like to at least attempt to get them to shine again.
    Any one with any thoughts or "how to's" out there, it would be most appreciated.
    Tom Bolanowski, Capt.
    NHFD

Try Mothers Mag and Aluminum Polish. It comes in a white and red can. It is a little bit time consuming, but works great.
    Move fast or move aside...

Forum Member

Drifting on a raft in the Carribean Ocean listening to Buffet.

My brother has a '97 Kenworth that he keeps looking new, metal and all. He said he uses some type of acid wash then buffs it out with metal polish. He was hauling all kinds of hot lime and weird crap like that. It would do a real number on his chrome. Check around with some of the truck drivers or a truck auto parts center. Like Truckman said Mothers is good but man will you be there for a while. Use a Dewalt multi speed buffer set on medium.
    Matt

we have used acid on our tank trailers before. before you use it, make sure you know what you are doing. you can burn the metal very easily. and DON'T let it get on the paint!!!!

-Brian

i agree be very careful with acids they can turn your stuff milky white and then they are that way forever.

The mothers is the tried and true method. besides it's something for the new meat to do.

Forum Member

Try Simple Green....Put it on un-diluted, scrub with a brush, let it sit for about 5 minutes and rinse. Works good on grease also.
    FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Talking

I agree with the Mothers approach. It will take alot time and effort. Go out and buy yourself a bag or two of flour and put it into a bucket. After you have applied the Mother's and it drys, take a clean rag and drip it into the flour. Use the "flour" rag to clean off the wax. Sounds wierd, but the flour will make the wax and debris come off much easier.

Thumbs up

Try Flitz products, they make something to clean just about everything used in the fire service and it's great. We seen it used on smoke stained S/S, diamond plate, etc and all have turned out great.

Heres their info;

Flitz International, LTD
    821 Mohr Ave
    Waterford WI 53185
    414-534-5898

And no, I'm not a saleman for them or anyone, I just know it works !!

Realized I had an 800 #, 800-558-8611.
    Last edited by res7cue; 03-15-2002 at 12:50 PM.
    These views/ opinions are my own and not those of my employer/ department.

Try a product called "Rolite". It's a blueish paste and comes in a can. Takes a bit of elbow grease, but by far the best product I've ever seen. We had an industrial warehouse fire a couple of years ago and the smoke turned all of our stainless and alluminum grey. This product is the only thing that would clean up the smoke damage.

Good Luck!

--
    Lt. Derek Warnke
    Tri-Unit Fire Department
    Stevensville, MI

Thread Information