Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    EuroFirefighter.com PaulGRIMWOOD's Avatar

Default Awareness is saving Firefighter Lives!

http://communities.ninemsn.com.au/Co...aviourTraining

'Gas-Phase Cooling' - 'New-wave' techniques developed by Swedish Firefighters, using innovative 'bursts' of water-fog, to counter the hazards associated with flashover, backdraft and smoke-gas explosions. These techniques have been further developed in the UK and Australia and are now being adopted by fire authorities around the world.

1. Gas cooling - used to cool the gases in the overhead below temperatures that support any progression to rollover or flashover situations.

2. Inerting - used to create an 'inert' atmsophere in the overhead - one of controlled steam OR suspended water droplets where no evaporation occurs - to prevent or suppress/mitigate any likely ignition of these gases in a backdraft or smoke explosion.

3. To extinguish - used to suppress burning reservoirs of fire gases that have accumulated and are burning off in geometrical voids such as stairshafts; attics or compartments etc.

Click here squad21@ReportsNetwork.com and send a blank e-mail to receive the latest report on Gas-Phase Cooling Instantly delivered to your e-mail box!

Question

Hey Paul, hope things are going well for all of you on the other side of the pond!
    We have talked about "pulsing the knob" in the past with standard 1 3/4" handlines, but I'm curious. In this "Gas-phase Cooling", what are they using for pressure and water flow? I just sent for the report, but an immediate concern I have...If the fire self vents, is there enough water volume for a direct attack?
    Thanks...Mark
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

Question

a double post...
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

EuroFirefighter.com PaulGRIMWOOD's Avatar

Hello again Mark....

Minimum flow-rate for gas-cooling is recognised as 30 gpm. Now I know thats pretty low but its necessary to maintain control of the steam expansion and to ensure the water is applied with optimum effect. We are NOT attempting to cool the fire's source or extinguish the base of the fire with this flow-rate.

However, if the flow-rate demands become higher for direct application (straight-stream) then either a selecta-flow nozzle with increased flow options can be used. A constant gallonage or automatic nozzle may also be utilised for gas cooling actions by just cracking the flow-control slightly to apply a burst of fog into the overhead.

Various nozzles will give varying results and many firefighters have based a strong preference on the Akron 753 or the TFT Ultimatic although others are widely used.

I am a strong proponent of adequate flow-rate and would not substitute a high-flow option for a low-flow fog pattern. I believe a good combination nozzle can achieve both for you.

Thread Information