Default Why Your Fd Needs A Chaplain???

Prior to 9/11/01, many chief officers and politicians might have "begrudingly" utilized a clergy chaplain in their department. Following WTC, the Pentagon and related events of 9-11-01, the value of a clergy chaplain to a FD, PD or EMS agency is clearly seen. The ability of a fire department to offer a chaplain for victims and family members in order to provide comfort, pastoral care, and just "being there" during the times of crisis are what separates the mediocre fire departments from the best.

Plus, having the department's "pastor" to give pastoral care and comfort to injured or troubled firefighters, police officers, and EMS personnel through CISD (when certified) and through genuine loving concern for their brothers and sisters in the department, is worth more than precious jewels. Having a full-time clergy chaplain in your department tells your members that you really care about them as people and as firefighters!

Chief, I know that deep down you really care about your members and the citizens that you are sworn to protect and serve. Don't be unwilling to spend some of your FD budget money to provide for a tool that will help your rank and file more than the shiny new engine or the latest technological innovation.

If your department doesn't have a chaplain, talk with the "powers that be" and get a ordained clergy chaplain who your people can call "our chaplain"!

If you already have a chaplain, then take the time to tell him/her how much you really appreciate them, and show them you care through funding/salary and other tangible ways!!!

Email me if I can help you in any way!

May God keep you and your people safe when in harm's way!

Serving God through serving others in public safety ministry,
    Last edited by RevDeanMNaz; 03-10-2002 at 01:10 AM.
    Chaplain Dean

Forum Member

Pity the poor atheists on the dept!

Forum Member

I think having a Chaplain helps the whole dept and the jurisdication your dept. serves. A Chaplain can and does provide spritual comfort to the firefighters when they need it. Also a Chaplain in a small dept can be used for a liason between entinies such as Red Cross and such for families that have just expericened a devestional loss be it life or property.

Originally posted by eyecue

whats that supposed to mean
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Forum Member

Tom,
    That means that not everyone is a believer in the great I AM.

im shocked how there is more anger twords athiests than there is twords radical muslims in this country
    " truck till the casket drops "

www.lynbrookfd.org

My views and opinions do not represent the views and standards of the Department or Company that I belong to.

Forum Member

Originally posted by eyecue
    Methinks eyecue is misguided. I'm not an athiest but I don't particularly believe in many of the tenets of the major religions. I do believe in God (I guess that makes me agnostic).

So long as a chaplin provides spiritual and emotional comfort without preaching the specific tenets of his denomination; he is doing his job and is welcome at any department. If he starts going fire-and-brimstone at a CISD session, then they're way out of line.

Forum Member

The department that our explorer post is part of has a chaplain. He also happens to be our Head Advisor. He is also a deacon for the catholic church, EMS Lt., and Police Chaplain. If you have any problems even concerning something other than a run, etc. He is always more than happy to help.
    ------------------------------------
    These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
    ------------------------------------

Forum Member

I have known several chaplains over the years and, when the chips were down in tough, emotional situations, they were there for the firefighters and their families.

My father was more than 30 years in the Department. He held a chief's rank for 9 years; 3 years as Department Chief. Upon retiring he moved to Florida and his association with the city where he lived brought him in contact with that Department. His background and reputation as a top notch command officer was well known and respected by those firefighters.
    In late September 1998 he finished mowing the lawn on day, went into the garage and suffered a massive heart attack which claimed his life.
    Upon arrival the EMS crew (who were FF/EMTs) knew who he was and contacted their chief. Within 5 minutes their chaplain was on the scene, giving comfort to my mother while the crew worked on him.
    Because there was no other family in the area, she relied on the chaplain's help in making her arrangements and he even picked us all up when we flew in from around the country.

That entire Department and their chaplain displayed the true meaning of the brotherhood. Do we need chaplains within our ranks ? You bet we do !

-bob-

MembersZone Subscriber

i can see no harm in haveing a chaplain on your dept. we have just put one on staff back in the spring, and we all can tell a great improvement in the overall in the mood and moral in the other firemen because he is there.

like others have said before, they are a great tool to have when you have a high stress time. well call him out to med calls when some one is doing very bad and the family needs the susport, hes there whenever we have to have a CISD, and just when you have to talk to him about anything, he is always there for us.

Forum Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NeilMcD

So long as a chaplin provides spiritual and emotional comfort without preaching the specific tenets of his denomination; he is doing his job and is welcome at any department. If he starts going fire-and-brimstone at a CISD session, then they're way out of line.
    [/QUOTE
    Good point! We operate with a victim service group - non denominational and certified in CISD. Our guys like it because they are anonymous and find it easy to talk to someone that they have no affiliation with.

If a pastor were to "volunteer" hey great... but as soon as the "good book" came out - he would be out as well.

Religeon is such a hot topic!

MembersZone Subscriber

Talking

Gotta wowk on you spillin ROE!!!!!
    Dave Burn
    (EMT-P Student)
    Effort only fully releases it's reward on someone who refuses to quit!

Forum Member

Its the big werds - thay gat me everi tyme!!

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

My dept. has 1 official chaplain, who is Catholic ( 90 of 102 members are Catholic) and 1 unofficial chaplain who is Penetecostal minister who was on the job and just retired in July. Both are 2 of the greatest people I know and are always there for us when needed.
    "I have no ambition in this world but one, and that is to be a fireman. The position may, in the eyes of some, appear to be a lowly one; but we know the work which a fireman has to do believe that his is a noble calling."

Edward F. Croker
    Chief 1899-1911
    Fire Dept. City of New York

HOOK N' CAN of the I.A.C.O.J.

Thread Information