Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Question Dedicated RIT/FAST Water Supply

The recent firefighter fatalities in Manlius, New York brings up a good point for discussion. Does anyone currently establish a dedicated watter supply for RIT/FAST team use. More specifically, given a rural water supply situation does anyone assure a given volume of water is dedicated to FAST, e.g. tanker or full port-a-pit ? Syracuse newspaper reports this morning seem to imply that water was not available to protect area where firefighters had fallen into basement. There have been previously published articles that recommended dedicated handlines be available for RIT use but I have not seen discussions specifically focused on assuring dedicated water supply.

Joe P.

Hamilton, NY

Why? It's not like you're going to visit me! But I'm near Waco, Texas

Without knowing much of the details for the incident in New York, my dept has never set up anything regarding a dedicated water supply. To me if the RIT crew goes in then all the other firefighters change to assisting that crew. I see no higher priority at a fire then to protect and rescue the people trapped, be it civilian or firefighter. I've seen procedures where a backup team follows the RIT crew with a charged line or something along those lines. I don't know if this helps any or even comes close to answering your question.
    NREMT-P\ Reserve Volunteer Firefighter\Reserve Police Officer
    IACOJ Attack

Experts built the Titanic, amateurs built the Ark.

Thread Information