Thread: Boot Question

Default Boot Question

Well I'm a self identified geer queer as long ago I figgured out it was best to buy the best the 1st time around instead of getting cheaper gear over and over again, especially when my *** depends on the quality of gear.

I've been researching smokejumper boots and from what I've learned Whites are among the best you can get if not the best.

A local store carries White Smoke Jumpers but only in black, but can special order brown lace to toe boots. Now this might just be me but I'm sick and tired of black boots (19 years in the military polishing them) and think brown would be just as good if in fact better since brown does not act like a heat sink and might be easier to care for.

I'm also thinking since I've got a extra wide foor the lace to toe smoke jumper might be a better option for my wide foot.
    Now for the questions

What color of boot do you prefer and why???????

Do you think the lace to toe is any better than the "normal" lacing

What kind of "special" if any care do you take of you're boots so they keep on ticking without any problems??

Default in my opinion and experience

Greetings,

I don't have a preference in color so long as they last. I've seen the whites "brown rough out" nice looking boot. Talking with the owner said that they are just a comfortable and don't have to worry )if you do) about nicks and scratches showing.

Lace to toe, depends on the persons preference. if you have a odd or different size foot from the norm then you might want to look at them. One thing that it will do is give you a tighter fit for your feet.

Boot care, well use the White's boot grease if you can get it if not then i've found obenhauffs (spelling??) that is the other grease i use, Stay away from mink oils, Hubbards boot oil is junk in my opinion.

One other thing PETE'S Boot drier. Amazing, if your feet sweat a lot like mine this will help your boot not stink and is far far better than "baking" in the sun after you wash your boots. A warm heat on the principle of convection will warm your boot slightly and circulate air to get rid of any excess moisture. a $30 investment worth it. Not just for your fire boots but for any of your footwear, runnning shoes and with extensions hip waiders are also able to be dried.

Forum Member

Shrike -

Check out the archives of this forum... boots have been discussed quite heavily. Boot discussions are often like the discussion between Ford, Chevy and Dodge truck owners... All good products, but strong opinions amoung owners.

Color doesn't matter... usually your boots are the color of mud and dirt, and ash.

Lace to toe boots (and all boots)... If you are gonna spend alot of time on your feet in your boots like those of us who do this for a living, take the time to go to a GOOD boot shop and try several pairs/styles & brands. Best bet though to go with custom fitted to your feet. You won't regret the money spent.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Default Hot Feet!!

There is no real choice of colour here as all the fires I've ended up in have resulted in boots covered in water, mud, charcol and soot. I find a good soaking in Neatsfoot Oil helps in preserving the leather and stiching. BUT.... The heat absorbancy increases also, so when your blackingout over the rocky ground we have in patches round here you have to keep moving!

One major problem I have found though is the soles end up delaminating after a while (3 - 5 weeks)post fire.

I'm trying to find a good boot that is available here in Oz for Rural/Bush firefighting. Any suggestions?

Paul T.
    Aratula Rural Fire Brigade.
    Mail to : sthncross@firehousemail.com

Forum Member

Default Boots in Oz

sthncross -

I can't really help on the boots for those of you in Oz, other than to check around with your comrades. I don't know what it would cost you to have a pair shipped from the US... a quick look of
    Wesco Boots, Drews Boots, and Whites Boots, no dealers listed in OZ, and only Wesco even had a dealer outside of the US (in Japan of all places ). But you could email the companies and see if indeed there is a dealer in OZ and near you. Worst thing they could say is "No, but thanks for asking."

If your soles are delaminating that quick , I sure hope the store/manfacturer is replacing them... and you should stop using that brand if it's more than a one pair, one time deal, but it doesn't sound like it.

Good Luck, and try asking around about boots at They Said. That is pretty much where the wildland folks hang out the most.
    IACOJ
    Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
    http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Default Oz Boots

I'll be having a good look around. As for the delaminating boots they are great for car accidents etc it seems though the heat kills the glues. Their origin is from my permanent job as a paramedic but they are identical to rural fires issue!!

I'll try those companies, thanks for the addys / links. The cost of getting things here isn't that great - the problem is that your $ is worth about $1.98 here!! (Nows the time for your holidays to Oz!)

Cheers
    SC
    Mail to : sthncross@firehousemail.com

Hope this isn't too late, I used to wear Carolina's. Then as soon as my fire check came from Montana 2000 I got a fit kit from Nick's. This past year we went to NV and Ca and I never got a blister, not even a hotspot. I tell anyone that asks, to get a custom fitted boot. It doesn't matter if it's from Nick's or White's as long as they are fitted to YOUR foot, not some generic last. As for the lace to toe, that is the next boot I'm going to order. I work full time for a structural dept. and I need the flexability to go from a thin sock in the summer time to a thick sock in the winter.
    Onelick

Thread Information