Temporarily/No Longer Active

Cool Hey Webteam....Over here!

This message is for the Webteam....

Where or what is the link for the acceptable use policy of this forum/bulletin board? If there is a link to it, could you provide it here.

Also....what rules or guidelines do you follow when banishing a forum member or is this an arbitrary decision on the moderators part?

Thank you in advance for providing this information.

Humbly,

Phil

Administrator

Default FORUMS POLICY

Terms of Service:
    Click Here for FAQ/Forums Terms of Service

Let's start off this by stating that the 'Woody Society' no longer has a place on Firehouse.com.

In the end, there were several posts, now deleted, that included language of sexual innuendo, rape, and other comments that were NOT appropriate for Firehouse.com. We let the Woody thread live and did not pay much attention to it, until that time. We closed it, and people reacted hostily. We have zero tolerance not just for the comments that were made in the thread, but the attacks that followed for simply closing a thread.

We will waste no more time in these forums dealing with people who can't follow simple rules of decency and respect. Users will be removed and threads closed, deleted, and if approrpriate, further action taken to restrict these users from every aspect of Firehouse.com as possible.

FEW users have EVER been removed entirely from the service for a prolonged period of time.

Below is the Terms of Service EVERY registered user agreed to when they registered. If any user feels they cannot abide by these rules, or has problems with the way they are perodicially enforced when needed (which happens MAYBE once a month or so out of THOUSANDS of posts), please do not participate here any longer.

There are nearly 23,000 registered users for the forums and 10 times as many people browsing the boards who are not registered. We will remove any user or user who disrupts those other users as we see fit.

FORUMS POLICY

Registration to this forum is free! We do insist that you abide by the rules and policies detailed below. If you agree to the terms, please press the Agree button at the end of the page. Note: By pressing the button you declare that you are over the age of 13. If you are 13 or under, please use this registration form.

Considering the real-time nature of the Firehouse.Com Message Forums, it is impossible for us to review messages or confirm the validity of information posted. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the contents of and are not responsible for any messages posted. This is especially important to note in tactics and techniques posted ... they may or may not be accurate and only an individual's ideas. We encourage you to use your best judgement when reading posts.

We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this BB or any entity associated with this BB. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email.

We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately.

Representatives or associates of manufactuers will not be permitted to post messages that directly promote their products or harm the reputation of another product or manufactuer. All commercial related representatives or associates MUST identify themselves as such within EACH post.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this BB.

Although this BB does not and cannot review the messages posted and is not responsible for the content of any of these messages, we at this BB reserve the right to delete any message for any or no reason whatsoever. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages.

Although the administrators and moderators of Firehouse Forums will attempt to keep all objectionable messages off this forum, it is impossible for us to review all messages. All messages express the views of the author, and neither the owners of Firehouse Forums or Jelsoft Enterprises Limited (developers of vBulletin) will be held responsible for the content of any message.

We at this BB also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

Please note that advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this BB. Logging in as multiple usernames on the same topics is also prohibited.

To register for the forums, you must have a valid e-mail address that is available to other members and your name, organization and rank must be posted..

By clicking the Agree button, you warrant that you will not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar, sexually-orientated, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any laws.

The owners of Firehouse Forums have the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason.

Thanks
    WebTeam

Default Bravo Webteam

I think that the policy speaks for itself and, in the end, as the moderator, you can remove any post you desire to remove. The thought that rape and or other similiar types of messages were being posted is detrimental to good discourse. I applaud your actions.

Forum Member

Talking BRAVO WEBTEAM!!!

It is unfortunate that these individuals chose this site for their online debaucheries. However, I am glad that you expeled them and their crap from these forums.

This type of garbage has no place here. There are plenty of other places they can take their s*&t! I applaud your decision and hope that this will not become a problem again.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Red face

No complaint from me regarding the closure of that thread....especially when it started to delve into a dear diary type of post with innuendo such as rape and so forth. For the record, I wasn't a regular participant on that thread. I like many got a few laughs from reading it but it became quite a bore....it simply wore out its welcome. It's life span used up.

I was curious why those who questioned it's closure were simply banned, hence my reason for asking for a copy or link to the terms of service agreement. I thank you for providing it....my questions have been answered. Case Closed.

Thank you Webteam.

Administrator

Those who 'questioned' its closure were not removed for questioning it, but in the manner they did so. We are not the enemy here and there are better things done with our time than people attacking us, and threatening us verbally or otherwise, over simply closing a thread.

If users want to do that, they are not welcome here.

Thanks
    WebTeam

IACOJ Agitator

You're not the enemy? That's news to me! JUST KIDDING

On a serious note:

I know first hand (from a little while back) that if you are contacted you handle the matter immediately and I commend you on that.

Lately there have been some matters on these boards that needed to be taken care of. You have made many changes (deletions, bans, etc) over a short period of time recently. I think the numerous interventions you have made lately caused many members to think that "The Big Bad Invisible Web Team has swooped down out of College Park and abused their powers." In reality, this is not the case. It is just that people are finally starting to bring these "problem" issues to your attention, thus causing you to become "suddenly" active in the moderation process.

I applaud most of your actions as of late. Continue on with the good work.

Disillusioned Subscriber

Thumbs up

If anyone wondered where Jerry Springer got his subject matter, all they had to do was read that thread! It started off mildly humerous, but became an embarrassment. It was about as unprofessional as anything as I have seen, but the response of the few after the thread was closed was at best sophomoric. They only served to show everybody just how right you were for closing the thread.

Good job.
    Steve Gallagher
    IACOJ BOT
    ----------------------------
    "I don't apologize for anything. When I make a mistake, I take the blame and go on from there." - Woody Hayes

Forum Member

Many of us felt like William Holden's character in the film "Network News"...

We're mad as hell, and we aren't going to take it anymore!!!

There were a few posters that attempted circumvent the closed threads by starting a new thread under the name of the Department of the individual in question using sarcasm.

A tip o'the leather goes out to the Firehouse.com web team!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Now if you can just get people to understand that regardless of freedom of speech, FH.COM is a private business and posting here is a prviledge, not a right.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Thread Information