Administrator

Default Question on SCBA Filling/Frag Tubes

Does anyone know where/what standards exist related to filling SCBA bottles from a fill station specific to placing the bottles in a frag tube?

Thanks

The manufacturers of frag tubes reference compliance with NFPA 1901 for their equipment. I hope someone else can answer whether there is a standard that frag tubes meeting NFPA 1901 (or any other standard) be used when filling bottles. I found it odd that at least one company sells tubes (open top) that they specifically say do not meet NFPA 1901.

I presume you are referring to filling cylinders on an apparatus, as opposed to a fixed site (inside a fire station). Refer to NFPA 1901, section 23-9 SCBA Fill Station, 23-9.1, which clearly explains the requirements for this operation.

kfd105...Why is refilling from apparatus different than in the station? Do in-station operations fall under OSHA (or state-OSHA) regs instead of NFPA?
    Last edited by Ten8_Ten19; 03-14-2002 at 11:20 AM.

Keepin it real

Originally posted by Ten8_Ten19
    kfd105...Why is refilling from apparatus different than in the station? Do in-station operations fall under OSHA or state-OSHA regs?
    Here in NJ, refilling of both SCBA and Oxygen cylinders fall under State-OSHA regs. requiring a frag. containtment fill station in all stations that fill cylinders and in vehicles that fill SCBA's

Robert B.
    Haddon Fire Company No.1

NFPA 1404 covers Fire Department Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus program and NFPA 1901 covers the standard for filling on apparatus.

10-8/10-19: Just to clarify, since this was posted in the Apparatus Innovation section, I wanted to know if the original question was in reference to mobile type fill stations, which fall under 1901. If this was in fact a question about a fixed (fire station) site, then 1901 would not apply. I'm still not sure if the original poster was inquiring about a mobile application or not, but the reference to the appropriate section of 1901 is correct, if so.

Stay safe!

MembersZone Subscriber

Default SCBAs Standards.

I am looking for the NFPA standards for both in station and moble stations on filling SCBAs.

Also I am looking for any help on writing a narritive on the AFG to support the purchas of new SCBAs and a fill station. We have old SCBAs and do not have a fill station. Any Examples would be great.

Thanks,

Thread Information