Forum Member

Thumbs down Integrity (??) in DC

I know all of you around the country must be getting sick of the folks in DC whining about our illustrious Chief Ronnie Few. Today in the Washington Times [URL=www.washtimes.com] there is an article by Jim Keary documenting the lies of Chief Few's three appointees from East Point, Ga. It seems that they were very enamored about calling themselves 'chief' when they were, in fact, a Sergeant and two Lieutenants, not even eligible for the Chief's test. Oh, yeah, and those colleges and degrees listed on their resumes - NOT!! Now they have foisted themselves on DC as two Assistant Chiefs and a Deputy Chief.

Can anyone say George O'Leary? How much more do we have to endure? The Nations' Capital needs a strong, QUALIFIED leader for it's department. Anything less should be unacceptable to us all.

Forum Member

I read the Washington Times article...

Chief Few has no integrity whatsoever. Part of his agreement with DC was that in return for the right to make "carte blanche" appointments, he would not hire his cronies...which is exactly what he did.

The DC City Council also shoulders the blame for this...they are the ones who gave "No Clue Few" carte blanche to begin with!

As for the three "chiefs" in question....

Part of this job is duty, honor, integrity. They, like their leader, have "no clue" what that means.
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

The more that I read about the chief in DC the more I see that he is
    really out for himself and his cronies. The DC fire dept has real problems that need realistic, permanent solutions; ie: radios, medic staffing, apparatus just to name a few. Constantly I read on this website about problems with the DCFD and all that Chief Few does is blow smoke up people's a**es. Everytime an issue is brought up on the main page of this website, the chief promises to fix it. But 2-3 months later the problem is brought up again without a solution even being looked at. ie: 800mhz radios with only four sites. The union should vote no confidence in him (if they already haven't) and make his life difficult. A mutt that compromises FF safety for his own agenda deserves to be treated like a mutt!

Chief Few, he of the numerous departmental vehicles, is an embarassing creature who received his job for a sole reason. No one wants to say that but it is a fact. Why else would he be allowed to take over? Where does the next candidate come from? Does it have to be within or from the outside?

District Chief

Another smudge in the eye of the fire service.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

Cool Georgia Boys somebody been using that thang

Ok....with my humblest apologies to Dave Letterman....here's the Few Top Ten

Top Ten Intelligent Statments by the Few, the brainless...the Chief!

10. "You're going to have a coloring-book exam, that's what you're
    going to have".

9. "We got 33 Engines and a whole lot of dem trucks".

8. "Our communications is 98% effective".

7. "Durring this physical year, we gonna have this fire department
    fully accreditated".

6. "Enging 10 is one of the busiest engine companies in the country,
    if not the nation".

5. "We are the finest fire department in the nation's capitol"

4. "I can tell you we have plenty of two piece engine companies all
    over the city. We have engines and trucks in the same house".

3. "We gots a whole lot of money from the government. We are gonna
    get in line to get trained but there is too much to do because
    we have to be there with all that government."

2. "When my men in Georgia rolled da trucks, they wanted to
    come back to work. We gotta gets our men back to work. You guys
    get hurt wiff da most littlest things and dont want no work".

and the #1 most "intelligent" statement by Chief Less (well maybe not the most....they're all a toss up for #1).....

1. "The Chief is on the scene....but not in control".

Last edited by enginecappy; 03-13-2002 at 05:05 PM.

1. "The Chief is on the scene....but not in control".
    Great post my friend. I had a good laugh until I was brought back to reality by the realization that this man is responsible for the lives of children, students, families, and our highest levels of government, plus sacred buildings. It is tragic when people in his own community look to him as an example of success but look askew at people like Thomas Sowell or Colin Powell.

He should, for the good of his family, his community, and indeed his nation, resign. If he is not honorable enough to do so, then he must be terminated at once. The fire service should have in DC, as it does in Chicago, New York, Philadelphia and a myriad of others large and small, a shining example of a fire department. I could never imagine this happening in New York, Providence, Boston, Philly, Chicago, or Daytona Beach, St.Apul, or most other places.

Before you get the idea that all fire chiefs in the south are like this gent, think again. He is considered "without ability" there.
    Last edited by JayTL; 03-13-2002 at 04:42 PM.

Forum Member

Unhappy

So what else is new in Washington? That department has been in shambles for years. The powers to be will not ever put a person in charge that will be the Chief. They will always find some yokel to be the fire chief. This is so with Ronnie Few. He is as phoney as Bill Clinton was! He was nothing in GA and will never be anything. He still has problems in the closet in GA, but they are seeping out daily. I would expect that he will be fired and join the ranks like Alfred did by getting his resume loaded and end up somewhere else as a fire chief.

Time has come for the IAFC and IAFF to get deeply involed in the backgrounds of people applying for the Chief of Department position, before they are appointed and become da chief!

Washington has for a long time had its problems with the way the City Govenmnent is runned. Companies done away with, manpower reduced and people that has very little experience running the show. Sharon Pratt took a big whack years ago when she took the axe at the department.

Go 30 miles east and look at Baltimore. They are in the headlines also with the appointment of two members to Deputy Chief, that are close friends with the new chief.

It kinda makes you sick to read about the lack of leadership in the departments that are in this country.

Hang in there guys and retire from this business when you can. Remember this, Don't leave any money on the table!

Stay Safe - Stay Well

"A man's failure is a sign that he tried to surpass himself"

F*** The Mutts - comes to mind

GOD Bless FDNY and ALL of the lost Brother's and thier Families.

Dave
    Firefighter
    FTM, PTB, RFB

Forum Member

I think it's unfair to paint the new Chief in Baltimore with the same brush as Few. The two men he selected as his top assistants are each 29 year veterans of the department. Both competed and were promoted through the ranks to Battalion Chief, and the one selected as the new Operations Chief has been a Chief Officer for nearly 18 years.

This topic was meant to be solely about Few and the people he brought with him, and their collective lack of education, command experience (if any of them understands the term), ability, and, most crucially, INTEGRITY.

Time has come for the IAFC and IAFF to get deeply involed in the backgrounds of people applying for the Chief of Department position, before they are appointed and become da chief!
    Lets suppose this happens. Lets say a dirtbag applies to be Chief and knows the guys on the IAFC board. Do you think he will be denied? Not in the real world.

Why do we have to involve any partisan body. Let the State and or local community, in fact require of them, that they do exhaustive background checks while an interim chief is in place. Recognizing that this solution also has its faults, lets try and keep it locally where the people that this chief will serve will have some say in the process through representation.

It would have taken DC a short time to run a thorough background on Few and his educational cohorts. However he was approved and that in itself is a condemnation of all involved. Let us begin to recognize that while a Chief is important, he is not the end all and be all. In fact, if it takes months to do an exhaustive search, let it be. we should also remember that whatever is done, people will slip through. However in the case of Few, a little looking would have gone a long way. Now the brothers in DC as well as the citizens have paid for that mistake, not just in terms of money, but in other, more tangible ways.

Talking

I was wondering if maybe Chief Few needed any more assistants. I have been a Chief for 20 years. Well, I mistakenly thought I was a Chief because I was friends with a chief 20 years ago. I also have a degree from Oklahoma State University. Well, I mistakenly thought I had a degree from Oklahoma State because I once ate at their cafeteria. I should be more than qualified in the good chiefs book!

HILLBILLY

Good point. I am thinking I could be the next Secretary of Defense because I actually met him!

MembersZone Subscriber

Good point about the Baltimore appointments. I read the article about them and as of now they seem like qualified guys. They obviously have a large amount of experience and are loyal, long term employees of the Balto FD. I think that says a lot. They weren't jumping ship and moving across country to make some quick bucks in someone else's city.

I feel for the DC guys and gals. Its got be rough. Things keep coming out about the admin there. I thought that Chief Few would bring the department some help and confidence when he first showed up. Unfortunately, it seems that he continues to give them a black eye. If anyone deserves a strong chief its DCFEMS.

I can't believe they thought they "were enrolled" in the universities because they went to a conference there. Come on. They can't be that clueless. They know that was a lie. Its amazing they didn't think someone wouldn't notice such false claims. As well as the Chief titles. What?! Do they believe no one ever talks to other departments?

Its too bad.

good luck to the DCFEMS guys.
    " The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good." - Samuel Johnson

Forum Member

Incredible! It seems as though 'Integrity' and 'Washington, DC' are mutually exclusive terms. Our illustrious mayor, Anthony Williams (email: anthony.williams@dc.gov) has stated that these allegations don't seem serious, and are the work of a few (ouch!) disgruntled members of the department.

Mr. Mayor, I would submit that the number is more like 1,800 or so disgruntled members. The vast majority of us supported you because we felt that you would bring credibility back to the Executive Branch of the DC Government after nearly two decades of Marion Barry. Looks like that was another error in judgement by us.

The vast majority of us supported you because we felt that you would bring credibility back to the Executive Branch of the DC Government after nearly two decades of Marion Barry. Looks like that was another error in judgement by us.
    OldE6Man - Dont be hard on yourself. We are sometimes forced to choose between the best of two terrible situations. They mayor has proven that silky smooth syllables and dressing well still don't equate to successful leadership.

Forum Member

Holy crap!!!!!!!! What a mess!!!
    I'm glad that I'm on a vol. dept. where we get to choose a new chief every year if we want to.

Maybe that's what D.C. should do! Just let the F.D. decide who they want!! It's certainly not foolproof, but it can't be worse than the mess they have now.
    Last edited by 1835Wayne; 03-15-2002 at 10:45 AM.
    I.A.C.O.J. Charter Member
    "Chet, get an inch and a half on that!"

"Not for fame or reward,Not for place or rank. Not lured by ambition or goaded by necessity. But in simple obedience to duty as they understood it. These men suffered,sacrificed,dared all, and died. Let us never forget our fallen friends."

Forum Member

Marion Berry is another bad mayor that DC had. Looks like it is habit forming. But I see were he is going to run for something in the district again. Don't they have a rule about spending time in federal prison that you can't hold public office? Of course his time is prison was a good time with women any time he need one. Must be nice. Us hard working folks are paying for all of this. Time for the workers to stand up and and be heard, if it would do any good.

Stay Safe out there

Thread Information