Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Explorer Advisor Questions

Hi, I would like to ask a couple questions of any other advisors out there. 1. How do you aquire turnout gear for your post members? 2. What sort of drills do your explorers seem to enjoy/take more interest in during inclement weather when you can't get out side? and 3. Are there any post advisors in NY who have attended the Fire Explorer weekend at the academy in Montour Falls, and what did you think, was it worthwhile?

1. The gear our juniors use is the hand-me-down, out-of-service gear from the seniors. Most of the time, the only problems with it are age(some of it is the old cotton wool type).

2. My juniors usually like to anything hand-on, sometimes we will practice search and rescue with full gear, sometimes we take a list of all the equipment on the apparatus and have a tool hunt. I have found that the more hands-on and competetive it is, the more they get into it.

3. Sorry, not in NY. But do you know of any where I can get some info on the weekend. May try to start something like it down here.

Hope I've helped.
    Kevin Sink
    Fair Grove Fire Dept.
    Thomasville, NC USA
    kevinsink@northstate.net

we get our gear from what is left over from the firefighters, i have also aquired gear from other fire depts that they had planned to throw out.

Drills- we have done some ice rescue drill, and stuff in incliment weather to show that even in bad weather we go out. But we also try to stick with things inside like knot tying- using tools and ropes, we've done mask confidence, and anyother classroom lecture stuff ie: venting, i try to get the officers of the fd and we have a lot of NYFD people in our fire house who are great for giving drills. We also get videos from the training center that come w/ hand outs and quizzes. Our explorers also drill monthly with the fd, so they actually have 2 drills a month

Montour falls- this will be our 3rd yr attending and yes it is worth going to. For my group it helped teach how to work and trust others- as you would working w/ mutual aid drills. For me and them we got to talk to other posts/advisors from ny and see what they can/can't do- my group does a lot, even though they think they don't. It's a fun weekend, the 1st yr you go it's very basic, and if you have kids that have been in for a while it maybe boring, i just remind them that you must review the basics before doing more advance stuff- our 2nd yr group did mask confidence and ff survial last yr- which they loved. this yr i will have kids in all three levels. if you need any more info please email me fitzjr11@cs.com
    <a href="http://www.lakecarmelfd.org" target="_blank">www.lakecarmel fd.org</a> links- explorers

Well I am just starting to acquire gear from area departments. Due to age restrictions placed on Explorers the gear does not have to meet current standards as it will NEVER be used in a structural fire environment. We have 6 Departments in my City and we are asking each department to donate any gear that is old and out of service but still in good repair. The bigest problem we will face will be sizes, as there are very few firefighters as small as some of our Explorers. The other problem we anticipate is boots. Most departments keep boots untill they are no longer useable. There is actually a fair amount of coats and pants out there, but boots are going to be a problem.

As for drills / training, we have just started a new fire oriented program within our post and will begin hands on training in the springtime when the weather clears up. The Connecticut state academy does run a 1 week program for Explorers and Junior members but it is expensive and limited in class size. So far we have not sent any members to this program.

Alan Shaw
    Advisor, Public Safety Explorer Post #135
    Stamford, CT

We just issue gear from the regular dept. and our training is usually going outside and playin with some water. Somtimes we will do online class stuff.
    Visit us at http://www.randolphfire.org

Temporarily/No Longer Active Station7Cadet's Avatar
    Pittsville Volunteer Fire EMS Rescue Department, Inc. Pittsville MD "Pittsville Pride"

1. We get out gear from handme downs from the old gear.
    2. The cadets love anything that they can do hands on!, The cadets in my department are very active and like the average teenager they have short attention spans!
    3. Not from NY.

Thread Information