Thread: Pike poles

Default Pike poles

Afternoon yall.

My department uses the hook style pike pole. Me and several other members of our department are trying to convince our Chief to go to the New York style pike pols. I was just wondering how many of yall use these and your thoughts about them.

MembersZone Subscriber

Different tools do different jobs. The more tolls ya got in the tool box, the more you can do.

If your question is about Halligan Hooks, no truck should be without them. To work a roof with a standard "Pike Pole" is like forcing a door with a standard crow bar.

Forum Member

As always the Lt is right.

We carry Haligan hooks, Boston rakes, Providence hooks, and plaster hooks. You will all probably know them by some other names as well.

Which tools work best depend on which type of construction, as well as which task you are assigned. The Boston rakes go through plater and lathe like nobody's business. After another similar post I found out a whole bunch of uses for the haligan (NY) hook.

Dave

Temporarily/No Longer Active

We carry 9 hooks per engine. Most have a special head to chop, pull ceilings, pull dead bolt and knob locks plus they have a 5 foot stainles steel handle with pry end.

Ahh yes the Boston Rake... Scary sucker aint it, thing will go thru anything
    Nate Breton, Vice President
    Post 333 Salem Fire Rescue

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the ability to work with fear."

see

Forum Member

i love the boston rake, my favorite tool. will go though old houses like no tomorrow, and works great for search and rescue (hold the head on your end).
    Loo
    Lieutenant / EMT- Paramedic
    Protective Services Officer

Attached Images Attached Images  

Forum Member

Wink

Pike Pole, Hook or Boston Rake...the tool is only as good as the Jake with the Rake!
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Thumbs up The Great Gonzo....

Gonzo, you always prove why Captains have to pay a little more.
    Very well said.

Mike, thanks for the pics. No one around here has some of those hooks you pictured. Going to have to look into some purchases. Keep the good info coming...maybe one day we will become "one of them real fire departments" LOL
    Last edited by HOTDOG; 03-16-2002 at 01:36 PM.
    Begin with the end in mind.

Be safe out there!!

I love the discussion i had with one of the guys at the station. We were talking about different kinds of pikes and rakes and he started naming all these rakes i have never heard of. When i asked why he started telling me each ares construction and how the different pikes and rakes helped one area and another area would need a different more efficient kind. Real interesting he knows alota ****.
    Nate Breton, Vice President
    Post 333 Salem Fire Rescue

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but the ability to work with fear."

Whatever type you decide on, make sure you get a D-handle on it.
    Works alot better with wet & slimy gloves.

Mike

In our Dept. we use two different kinds of pikes, your standard pike with a hook at the end (good for pulling sheetrock), and a Two man pike pole, these come in vary handy for those ripping *** shotgun shacks(shiplap houses), pulling chunks of whole cielings down, as the ventilation crew opens up there hole, pretty much good coordination at the same time. The problem with the two-man pikes, is you better hope you and your partner, our in good physical shape, cause don't forget there's still a fire too put out and a house to overhaul! Everybody stay safe, and I'll see you back at the station!

Try http://www.firehooksunlimited.net/ , they have pictures and descriptions of all types of cool hooks and rakes.

steve

MembersZone Subscriber

No. Providence R.I. : Land of the "How ya doins"

My dept. has 3 Providence Hooks on each Eng. Co. on the Truck we have
    various size multi-hooks, Providence hooks, a Boston Rake, plaster hook and chimney hook. Each has it's specialty but all work well.
    Providence Hook is basically a arrow point pike pole with a flair opposite the hook. It's compact head can get in between lathe and plaster a rip the s*** out of it. Developed by the brothers next door due to the thousands of triple decker tenements in the city.

We carry 3 differnt types of hooks: regular pike pole, one of those fdny hooks, and a thing called a "dallas pike pole" Dallas FD came up with it. It is used on shiplap houses, you can really tear the sh*t of some shiplap with it. It has been around our dept. for so long I dont know where it came from. I have never seen them being sold any where.

Forum Member

Ever hear of the "DALLAS PIKE POLE"? A Dallas Firefighter designed it and got it patented. They use them for the old ship-lap style ceilings and wooden tongue and grove ceilings found in older homes and structures.
    joejoe33

Comments and opinions are mine and do not represent the agency or IAFF local that I am affiliated with.

Thread Information