Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Scba

Default Scba

We are a small Department and are now using 30 min. tanks are considering 1 hr tanks
    only 5lb differance in weight
    has anyone used them

Temporarily/No Longer Active

More like 9 pounds isn't it?

With 30-Minute/Carbon Cylinder 19.1 lbs.
    With 45-Minute/Carbon Cylinder 23.4 lbs.
    With 60-Minute/Carbon Cylinder 28.2 lbs.

Temporarily/No Longer Active

High Pressure Cylinder Specifications:
    Part No. Dia. Length Weight (1) Rate (2)
    804721-01 5.48" 19.2" 11.16 lbs 30 Min
    804722-01 6.85" 24.9" 21.9 lbs 45 Min
    804723-01 7.2" 21.05" 19.61 lbs 60 Min

iceman4442
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are pretty much completely upgraded to 1 hour bottles, which we've been phasing in for several years. The reason we did so, however, is that when we began phasing them in, we had just become a regional haz-mat unit, so the hour bottles give us more time in the suits if necessary. We went to all 1 hour bottles for the uniformity.

They are a little bigger and heavier, but due to the haz-mat involvement, we went with the trade-off.

Just my opinion!

Stay safe!

My engine company was thinkng of getting scott 4.5's.....right now we use scott 2.2's.....
    Lieutenant
    Joel Chouinard
    Rescue Co. 106 "When Push Comes To Shove"
    Engine Co. 307 "Pride Of The South Side"
    Cairns Leather, the only choice!

I must say, personally I think going to all one hour bottles is huge gamble. Carrying a few on your rigs is a good asset, but to have a tank that you could potentially be in a fire, on air for 30 minutes plus, straight (and this is likely to be very easy to occur) is a huge danger to you, and a massive liability to your officers, department, and town.

By having a 30 minute tank you force yourself to get out of a building and change a bottle. That few minutes you spend outside is the most caluable time you can have. It gives your body some cool off time. We are killing ourselves as it is. Roughly 50% of our deaths each year are cardiac related. Your temperature goes through the roof once you even put your gear on and then you go and do work. I think 15 - 20 minutes is enough before a quick charge up. Don't get me wrong here, I love being on the nob in a worker as much as the next guy, but I know you need a break too. You could potentially get 30 - 40 minutes straight out of that bottle very easily and in that environment, you're asking for trouble because you know as well as I do that you are going to stay in as long as possible and you aren't coming out until you have to.

Liability wise, you would have to force a rehab time even more on your help. Our chief is considereing imposing a 2 bottle limit and you HAVE to take a break. There are a lot of studies and information coming out about the fatigue of our firefighters in action. We don't need help killing ourselves, we're doing quite well on our own.
    "Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like." Will Rogers

The borrower is slave to the lender. Proverbs 22:7 - Debt free since 10/5/2009.

"No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in session." - New York Judge Gideon Tucker

"As Americans we must always remember that we all have a common enemy, an enemy that is dangerous, powerful and relentless. I refer, of course, to the federal government." - Dave Barry

www.daveramsey.com www.clarkhoward.com www.heritage.org

I think 1 hour bottles ae a bit much for Engine Companies... They are good for Hazmat though as they buy you the extra few minutes in your suit if you use the 15-15-15 rule...15 minutes to get in...15 minutes to work....15 minutes out....

Those that have posted the different weights must realize that the weight of the cylinders will vary with the manufacturer....But all are close...

I say that Scott is the BEST!
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

Default Da Sharkie

Interesting point. While I have thought of the benefits only, that is a consideration. Perhpas a question could be how many here have been in a situation or know of a situation where 1 hour bottles would have saved a life?

I can think of several instances where a one hour bottle would have saved the lives of fire fighteres. The last three Houston Lodd's where all air related. At the same time I truly believe cardiac fatalities would go up if the one hour bottle became standard. Catch 22?

30 min cylinders for engine companies... Also, you trade off bulk to go to a 60 min cylinder, not as agile to get into tight places.

Thread Information