View Poll Results: Do you think Universities should offer Fire Science and the like programs majors???

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • More Universities should offer Fire Science Programs

16 88.89%
  • Universities should provide some Fire Science Programs

0 0%
  • Universities should leave it to the State and Fed. Govt's.

2 11.11%

Question Colleges & Universities offering FIRE SCIENCE and the like

Do any of you distinguished brothers in my profession know where I can find a University that is offering a Fire Science, Fire Protection, EMT, and the like of which I can send an application of admission to???

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to find Universities that I would like to attend...

ALSO!!! ANYONE OUT THERE IN FORUMS-LAND KNOW OF SCHOLARSHIPS OF WHICH RELATE TO THE PROFESSION THAT I CAN APPLY FOR???

AGAIN YOUR HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
    Last edited by NFD270; 03-18-2002 at 11:21 PM.
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

MembersZone Subscriber

http://www.chs.edu

College of Health Science offers both an Associates Degree/Paramedic program as well as an AssociatesDegree/Fire & EMS Technology Program.

Best of luck in your studies.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Thanks N2D... I really appreciate it... I will be checking it out hopefully tomorrow... Just one more question??? WHERE ARE THEY!?!?!?!

AND PLEASE DON'T FORGET TO VOTE ON MY POLL... ESPECIALLY IF YOU THINK DUKE BASKETBALL SUCKS!!!! (I HAD TO DO IT!!!)
    Adam Spencer
    Cadet Firefighter/First Responder
    Nixa Fire District
    Nixa MO 65714

IACOJ Agitator

http://www.newhaven.edu

University of New Haven has a fire science degree. You go there and you can volunteer in West Haven (where the university actually is)

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Lightbulb

Oklanhoma, Kentucky, Maryland (College Park -- you can live in numerous area stations), John Jay (NYC) have programs. A lot of community colleges have programs, too, but residency may be an issue.

Go for Fire Engineering......That's my 2 cents. I went for Arson Investigation and Fire Science Administration and, well, I'm an office assistant in the sales department for a local insurance agency...........

Re. scholarhips -- the International Association of Fire Chiefs Foundation has a scholarship, go to the IAFC website and follow the links, I received 4 scholarships (three were for graduate studies for political science, so you don't have to be a fire science major)... The deadline is usually August 1 of each year.
    Last edited by DianeC; 03-19-2002 at 11:05 AM.
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

Also Eastern Kentucky University and Lake Superior State University in Michigan for Fire Science
    Worchester Polytechnic Institute for fire protection engineering.

steve

Diane, why do you think fire protection engineering is better than fire science? im going to new haven next year and i am torn between the two.

steve

MembersZone Subscriber
    Maryland (but always a Long Islander first)

Well, I never wanted to be a paid firefighter (I'm from Long Island, we're 90% volunteer, it wasn't what I was brought up around) and having graduated from UNH in 97, the degrees I have will only do me good if I were to become a paid firefighter or a cop (arson investigators in Suffolk County have to be PO's first, go figure). I was misled by a director who was at UNH in 94-95...I was a transfer student with in Associates Degree in Criminal Justice, so I couldn't change my major again once he left (I was there a total of three years as it was).....Had I gone for the engineering, I could be designing sprinkler systems or fire protection systems, working for an architect or construction company, etc. Most of the Federal Jobs out there for the fire service require engineering (or military experience).....Unless you want to make a career out of being a paid firefighter (and I'm not knocking paid guys, I have several friends that are paid FF's), then I would go for engineering.

Good luck! The FS dept. at UNH has really done well for itself over the last couple of years....
    "When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little better for my having been there."
    -- Jim Henson (1936 - 1990)

There are a few that I know are good programs. Some of them offer distance learning opportunities. Try these.

Eastern Kentucky University
    University of Cincinnatti
    Hocking Hills College

I recieved my Associates in Fire Science through Owens Community College in Ohio in 1994. I now looking to obtain my Bachelors using the distance learning. Good luck.
    K.A. Dempsey
    fire69dawg@yahoo.com
    "If you want to make God laugh, tell him what you are doing tomorrow"

Thumbs up engineering!

I have to agree with Diane, Engineering is the way to go (if you have the math aptitude, that is). I have a Bachelor's Degree in Fire Protection Engineering from University of Maryland, and I love my job! One of the benefits of getting the engineering degree is the number of different forms of engineering that you can pursue - as Diane pointed out, you can go into design and do sprinkler systems or other fire protection systems design, you can go into consulting and do various forms of engineering work based on the needs of the client, you could go into the code enforcement or government work, or you can (if you're REALLY into the intellectual aspects of it) go into fire research. The opportunities are varied and many, and the jobs are plentiful since there aren't very many 'accredited' B.S. engineering programs in Fire Protection.

Drop me an email if you have any questions and I'll be happy to answer them the best I can. Good Luck in whatever path you choose!

GOOOOO TERPS!!
    An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!

MembersZone Subscriber

One more vote for FPE.

A fire science degree will do you alot of good if you are going to be a career fire fighter or a fire investigator. The FPE, especially if you are in a state that licenses FPE's, will open far more doors for you.

Good luck.

Forum Member

George I find it hard to disagree with you, But there is one door that is shut to FPE's and wide open to the "retired fire chief network".

It's called the National Fire Academy.

Wink Here's one for everyone....

Vincennes University in Indiana offers a Fire Science degree with a distance-learning program so you don't have to live there. They also offer credit to firefighters pursuing the degree with 5 or more years ecperience and FF II certification. (Each case is judeged individually on how much credit you get.) A good idea for anyone looking to pad the resume! Kentucky has a few schools that do also. Hope this helps.
    WS_FIRELADY
    FTM PTB FSU RFH 9-11
    Leather Forever!

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by NFD270
    ... Just one more question??? WHERE ARE THEY!?!?!?!

DOH !!!

I forgot that part - I'm pretty sure it's on their web site, but CHS is located in Roanoke, VA. The Fire & EMS Tech. is a relativly new program so I can't tell you a lot about it, but that had Medics who graduated there working all over the U.S. so it's not just a "local school"

Once again - good luck w/ school.
    Take Care - Stay Safe - God Bless
    Stephen
    FF/Paramedic
    Instructor

Eastern Michigan University (www.emich.edu) offers a Bachelors in Interdisciplinary Technologies. It is basically a create your own program. You pick 3 areas you would like to concentrate in, and then you take credits in those. All though they do not offer FF 1 or 2, or EMT/Medic classes at the University you can take them off campus and transfer them in as part of your major. They offer scholorships though the dept. based on both grades and/or need. Very few students apply for this money, so it is not difficult to receive one. Also, there are many POC depts. in the area to work for. Even some who will pay for and pay you while you attend FF 1 and 2 classes. Good luck. With competition for jobs so high right now, many depts in my area at least, are requiring at a min. 2 year degrees.

I went to University of Maryland University College for a little over a year all their fire science stuff is online so you can get a degree sitting at home watching your butt grow.

The big difference between fire science and fire protection engineering is fire science is for administration for fire officers, and fire protection is for those who design fire protection systems, sprinklers and so on.

I am looking into my next school, but for the time being I am going to a local community college working on an associates in fire science.

4-Year Fire Science Degrees:
    University of Maryland, University College.
    Eastern Oregon, 3rd and 4th year, so u need an associates first
    Western Oregon, 3rd and 4th year, so u need an associates first
    Eastern Kentucky, has many specializations

MembersZone Subscriber

Originally posted by Grit
    George I find it hard to disagree with you, But there is one door that is shut to FPE's and wide open to the "retired fire chief network".

It's called the National Fire Academy.
    I don't know what you mean.

If you mean as instructors, I think that you are giving the NFA a bad rap. I am an instructor in the Arson Mitigation Program. Most of the Instructors are practicing, or retired practicing fire investigators. I know that in the other programs, at least the qualifications and pre-requisites to be an instructor require knowledge beyond being a retired fire chief.

If you are talking about as a student, you would be plain mistaken.

If you are talking about as an employee of the NFA or the USFA, I think that is exactly as it should be.

In any of the above three cases, an FPE functioning in these roles would be a waste of education and talent. It would be akin to a cardiac thoracic surgeon teaching CPR full-time.

If you are talking about something else, please explain.

Talking My Humble Opinion...

OK -- here I go..

Do any of you distinguished brothers in my profession know where I can find a University that is offering a Fire Science, Fire Protection, EMT, and the like of which I can send an application of admission to???
    There are many different programs that you may find, they range from a 2 year Associates Degree program that you may find at your local community college, to a 4 year Baccalaureate, or even Masters, and Doctors level programs.

There is no single, simple answer to your question.

My suggestion to you would be to buy Barrons guide to 4 year colleges, and look in their index - under "Fire Science" - or "Fire Protection"

I am currently a student at Oklahoma State University, in the School of Fire Portection and Safety Technology. http://www.okstate.edu/ceat/fpst/

The program here is a Bachelors degree program. I wouldn't say that it prepares you to be a firefighter - although I hope to be hired as a paid firefighter, that is the career path that I hope to follow.

The coursework that we takes is extremely varied -- ranging from Automatic Fire Suppresion systems (Sprinklers) to Municipal Water supply (Hydraulics) - Industrial Loss Prevention, to Industrial Hygiene, to Haz Mat -- to Occupational Safety.

We also have Hygine Instrumentation, where we use monitoring equipment to determine exposure levels to chemicals....

CAD - Computer aided drafting....

You name it - we have a little of it in this program.

The reason why I think it will be valuable to me? -- If I am tasked with developing a Occupational Safety program for my FD - in accordance with NFPA 1500 -- I have already been exposed to much of the subject matter - and know where to look for further information.

I will have a strong background in Chemistry and Industrial Hygiene - so I will be better able to look out for myself and my fellow firefighters. I will know what hazards to look for when conducting a pre-fire plan..

Having an intimate knowledge of the NFPA codes, operating principles, and design of sprinkler systems - I will know if they are installed properly -- Should I be assigned to do code enforcement.

The fire service is a unique beast. We draw from so many professions - in order to accomplish our task. The answer to your question is not an easy one.

I don't believe there is a single answer. I enjoy the program here at OSU- and think I will be better for having taken it-- do I think that it is the right thing for everyone - No. I have friends that have left here - because they didn't like the curriculum.

There are many programs out there... you need to find one that is right for you.

Oklahoma State University - http://www.okstate.edu/ceat/fpst/
    University of New Haven - http://www.newhaven.edu/psps/firescience.html
    John Jay College of Criminal Justice- http://web.jjay.cuny.edu/~firesci/index.htm
    Eastern Kentucky University - http://www.fireandsafety.eku.edu/
    Last edited by FFMcDonald; 03-21-2002 at 02:55 AM.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

Thread Information