Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question Is a temperature indicator an asset?

We have chosen a TIC to purchase. Now the question is if having a temperature indicator built in a major plus, or a perk?

Perk
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Come on Mongo, elaborate a bit more!

GPM, what brand and model of TIC are you getting? We just looked at a Drager last night,
    MGB&KY&Y-FDNY 9/11/01

Default Elaborate More? Me?

OK (and forgive me, it's early in the AM and this may be all over the place...)

What are you looking for with a TIC?

Hot spots. They're white.

The temp indicator will tell you what temp it thinks it is compared to a standard that may or may not be accurate depending on what you're looking at and if the temp indicator is still in good calibration.

Some will say "well, it'll tell you what's hotter and you can reduce OH damage because of that."

OK, yeah. So what?

If something is wrong with the temp indicator and it says that spot X is not hot, who do they call for the rekindle? And in that case, how much OH damaged have you actually reduced?

Compare that to the OH damage you already reduced just by using a TIC to start with.

How do you know the temp reading is consistently accurate and that it stays that way?

Granted the TIC is just a tool and temp indication would be too. If it was an either or issue, I'd go with a transmitter.

BTW, ya'll still haven't gotten the TIC since you asked about this way back when (or is this a different GPM)?

http://www.firehouse.com/forums2/sho...threadid=31618

Anyway, if you'll read that post you'll find the guys pushing temperature measurement sell TICs.

The guys that use it in the field (including me) say, essentially, it's a perk.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

CFD14, ISG K90.. But that was based on many things, One of which was service. If this goes down we get a lowner until it's fixed. No other could offer that in our area.Make sure you do your homework. We had a committee that looked at many and they had a long list of things to rate. Then we looked at the results and invited the top 3 to a final burn the same time. We told each sales person what we were doing and they all agreed it was fair. (be up front with them) After the burn they put in a perposal and price.

Mongo, Yes that was me. Getting the money took a little longer. I posted it again to get a response from FF who use it. I wondered if I would get the same response.
    Thanks.
    You don't miss much

Gpm,Gotta go with Mongo here.I've been working a lot of State TIC classes lately ,I'll give ya my two bits.You have purchased a very nice camera,one of (in my opinion)the best.Now you got to learn to use it.It is a TOOL not a save all.Like any tool,if properly used using PROPER BASIC FIREFIGHTING techniques it will make your job faster,safer and easier.Used without common sense and proper basic firefighting it will get you badly injured or killed.I have the opportunity to use all brands of cameras in our training program,and as a result the only problem I've seen with ANY camera is the operator.Continual training and practice is the only way that you will get the maximium value from your new tool.I like to tell the students if a firefighter comes off the rig,the camera comes off the rig.It has so many uses I couldn't list them all here.But common sense will tell you a lot with or without temp readout.Practice,have fun doing it and stay safe.T.C.

I have used several different thermal cameras in my career. The temperature indicator is by far one of the most useful aspects of the camera. While the camera can pick up heat gradients,the indicator gives a very clear example of how hot the air temp is. If your getting temps in the 1,500 range one would have to seriously think before entering a smoke condition, as flashover or rapid fire spread is indicated. My floor above team can quickly assess conditions, fire spread, any victims in area of entry and heat travel in enclosed spaces such as wall cavity's. With a room that's superheated the camera gives a white out condition, but if one uses the indicator to distingush the temp variables in the given space it quickly shows where fire might be traveling from those areas where the temps have been absorbed by air currents, Plaster being a perfect example.
    "Knowledge is Power"
    Bill Y

Default Temp. indicator

they are good if you get a ballast over heating.
    For the most part heat will show up on the camera. How hot it is is not that important. If Its hot check it out. A person using the camera should not rely on the temp sensor in any case. Your experience as a firefighter should be most important. The camera gives you sight, your body may not be capable of getting to what you see. The heat may be to intense or the surrounding area going to south fast. Agian the camera will allow you to see but use your judgement as to safety. Any queations e-mail me firewalker50@hotmail.com

Thread Information