Forum Member

Default Morning Pride Ben Franklin

Looking for opinions on the Ben Franklin Plus helmet by Morning Pride. I only have experience with the the Cairns N6A and various "salad bowl" types such as the Cairns 660. Any thoughts or comments?

Thanks
    Turk II

Forum Member

A station north of us switched to the Ben II, and the guys there don't like them. I can't understand that, but I'm the only one wearing a leather at my department. I've heard good reports overall.

Default Vanity

If it wasn't for appearance I'd still be wearing my yellow Metro. Short brim, light weight and comfortable.

I think the traditionals look better so I went with a black Ben II. I'm happy with it and it was $20 less than the 1010. My first choice was the Conway American Classic but the firestore was phasing the Conways out when I was ready to order and only had yellow and red left.
    _________DILLIGAF

I've had my Ben II since Christmas and love it. I switched from a 1010 to the Ben II, and although i was pleased with the 1010...I wouldn't trade my Ben II for anything except leather.

Just remember...if God wanted fiberglass or kevlar helmets, he would have made fiberglass or kevlar cows...leather forever.

Although I kinda like the French Gallets (just a thought)

Forum Member

If you look at the Ben II and compare it to many other helemts you will see that it is lighter, less expensive, stronger, and covered basically for life. We use to show at helemt demos that the Ben II is stronger than the crushing power of the hurst 32A... untill the helmet poped out and smashed in the door of a car. The only Ben II that I know of that we replaced for free fell of the engine and got caught my the rear tires of a tower ladder. My own department has gone thru a bunch of 1010's one exploded when we had the bay door fall on. The helmet was on the crosslays and the door only fell about 4 feet on to it.
    Last edited by choad33; 03-25-2002 at 12:51 AM.

Forum Member

i have never used the ben II....all i have ever had was cairns...started with an 880 then a 1010 and now my new yorker...
    Lieutenant
    Joel Chouinard
    Rescue Co. 106 "When Push Comes To Shove"
    Engine Co. 307 "Pride Of The South Side"
    Cairns Leather, the only choice!

MembersZone Subscriber

I've had my Benny II for 4 years now. It is the best helmet I ever had. It feels like I'm wearing a baseball cap. I have worn a 1010 and a Bullard, and the best I think is my Benny II. Besides being a little heat faded, it looks and feels great.

Keep your head down and your powder dry.

Forum Member

Ive had my Ben @ for 3 years now and I think its the best helmet out there. I started with a Cairns 1010 that the deot gave me and I hated it, it never sat right and was all over the place, plus those helmets chip and crack when impacted. My Ben has taken hits from debris that i have with the Cairns and it wont chip and lose integrity, plus the suspesion is soo comfotable and fitting i can lean over w/o worrying my helmet falling of my head. My dept now has gone to the Ben plus from the 1010 some guys dont like it because it is a bigger helmet and weighs alittle more, but I think its by far a better helmet and what fireman had ever not bitched at something new Thats just expected i think.

District Chief

I have never worn the BF2. I am and always have been a Leather Cairns man. I dont think they can be copied...There is no replacement in my mind. I think the Ben Franklin is a poor attempt at copying the best! I have a few friends who wear the BF2 and they dont like em, but have no choice, because that is what they are issued.
    09-11 .. 343 "All Gave Some..Some Gave ALL" God Bless..R.I.P.
    ------------------------------
    IACOJ Minister of Southern Comfort
    "Purple Hydrant" Recipient (3 Times)
    BMI Investigator
    ------------------------------
    The comments, opinions, and positions expressed here are mine. They are expressed respectfully, in the spirit of safety and progress. They do not reflect the opinions or positions of my employer or my department.

I have never worn a ben franklin. I wear a Paul Conway American Heritage Leather. Had it for about 3 years. It weighs a little more than a cairns but the comfort just can't be beat. My back-up wears a 1010 and having come out of the same rooms with him behind me the Conway takes the heat much better as far as the finish goes. But as with anything don't settle for anything less than what you will be happy with.
    ftm-ptb, leather forever

Thread Information