Question SCENARIO: Vehicle vs. Gas Pump

Ok you are the chief of a paid department. You are sitting at your desk checkin your e-mail. You are always in command of scenes you decide what equipment rolls and what stays. You have enough paid people to fully staff each truck. You have 2 ladder trucks, 5 engines, 3 tankers, 1 crash truck, 1 haz-mat truck, 3 EMS units, 2 brush trucks, 1 air trailor, 1 fire boat, and 1 utility vehicle which carries cones, ropes, and other misc. equipment. DISPATCH: Station 79 have multiple reports of a car striking a gas pump. Callers are advising large amounts of fuel are leaking from the pump at this time and the store worker doesnt know of any emergency shut off switchs. A few callers also advise you have 1 person still in the vehicle and there is smoke coming from the hood. When you get en route it will take approximately 2 minutes to get there. What would you do? What are your main priorities on scene? If you have any other questions post em and i will answer ASAP.

Thanks,
    Matt

You have enough paid people to fully staff each truck.
    What standard is that to? NFPA 1710? My specs?

You have 2 ladder trucks, 5 engines, 3 tankers, 1 crash truck, 1 haz-mat truck, 3 EMS units, 2 brush trucks, 1 air trailor, 1 fire boat, and 1 utility vehicle which carries cones, ropes, and other misc. equipment.
    Over how far is that spread over? Is that all in one station? Two stations? Five? What is the call volume of this City? How many units are on calls, in service or out of service?

When you get en route it will take approximately 2 minutes to get there.
    Takes me 2 minutes or takes the first arriving company?

What are your main priorities on scene?
    Life safety and incident stabilization.

You are sitting at your desk checkin your e-mail.
    What was in my e-mail? It isn't something that is going to affect my judgement and reasoning is it?

Ok

1) The E-mail has nothing that would affect your judgement.

2) Two Stations

Base 1
    1 Command Unit (your vehicle)
    1 Ladder (holds up to 4)
    3 Engines (hold up to 4)
    1 Tanker (holds up to 2)
    1 Brush Truck (holds up to 2)
    1 EMS unit (holds 2)
    1 Utility (holds up to 5)
    1 Haz-Mat truck (holds up to 2)

For you it would be approximately 2 minutes.
    For other vehicles here 3-5 minutes depending on how fast they get the crew on and get out of the bay

Base 2

1 Ladder (holds up to 4)
    2 Engines (holds up to 4)
    2 Tankers (holds up to 2)<<1 tanker is mutual aiding another department>>
    1 Crash Truck (holds up to 5)
    2 EMS units (hold 2)<<1 Ambulance is out on a chest pains call>>
    1 Brush Truck (holds up to 2)
    1 Fire Boat

For Units here it would take 5-7 minutes to get there.

You decide what fully staffed is.

Your department gets approximately 1,250 calls a year.

Hope this helps. Any other questions just post them.

Thanks,
    Matt

If I were the Chief in this scenario I would do the following in this order:

1. Stop micromanaging my personnel.

2. Two and one plus ambulance response and let them handle it. If they can't handle it, I've failed as chief to ensure they are trained. I immediately resign my position and seek work elsewhere in another field where I am not responsible for the development of personnel under me.
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

Good call Mongo!

Thread Information